2019 Mock Drafts and top prospects

thunderingsquid

On 12/18/2018 at 12:13 PM, Logic said:

I am familiar with Hollywood Brown and N'Keal Harry...but I am not so familiar with the apparent top WR in the draft, DK Metcalf.

Can anyone who IS familiar with him fill me in on some details? What is body type, speed, playing style, etc? Player comparisons?

Given that the Bills have fallen to the 10th pick, I fear the top two OTs will be off the board and, as such, am warming to the idea of using a top pick on a WR. 

He reminds me of Randy Moss a bit, long strider.

• Like (+1) 1

7. Buffalo Bills

D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss

The Bills need to get their franchise QB some new toys ASAP. Allen’s stat line has struggled more than his play this season, getting more accomplished pass catchers and bumping Zay Jones and 2018 UDFA Robert Foster (who has played well!) down the pecking order is in everyone’s best interests.

Metcalf entered the 2019 Draft despite a neck injury, so at this point we have to assume he’s full steam ahead and no WR has the physical talent of Metcalf.

38. Buffalo Bills: Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

7. Buffalo Bills

The Bills need to get their franchise QB some new toys ASAP. Allen’s stat line has struggled more than his play this season, getting more accomplished pass catchers and bumping Zay Jones and 2018 UDFA Robert Foster (who has played well!) down the pecking order is in everyone’s best interests.

Metcalf entered the 2019 Draft despite a neck injury, so at this point we have to assume he’s full steam ahead and no WR has the physical talent of Metcalf.

Back to back WRs?  OK.

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

7. Buffalo Bills

I’d rather go with Ed Oliver and Deebo but this is pretty much as good as it gets IMO. Probably my #1 and #2 WR prospects in the draft. 

2019 NFL Mock Draft: Jaguars, Patriots Find Next Franchise Quarterback, Bills Get Josh Allen a Deep Threat

7. Buffalo Bills

D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss. There are questions about Metcalf's consistency -- he comes from an Ole Miss offense that doesn't ask him to do much, and he's also coming off a neck injury that cut short his junior season. But Metcalf is also the best wideout in this draft who wins at the of scrimmage, makes contested catches look easy, and can beat defensive backs deep. This is exactly what Josh Allen and the Bills need in a post-Kelvin Benjamin world.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2019 NFL Draft Order: Cardinals No. 1; Broncos Close in on Top 10

This is a look at the first-round order for the 2019 NFL Draft through Week 16. The order is determined by record, using strength of schedule as a tiebreaker. Keep in mind -- teams 21-32 would make the playoffs if the season ended today (the Rams, Saints, Chiefs, Chargers, Bears, Patriots, Texans, Cowboys and Seahawks have already clinched playoff spots). The draft order for playoff teams is determined by the results of postseason play.

It's almost time. We're six days away from locking in the first 20 picks of the 2019 draft -- well, until one of those picks is traded -- and the Cardinals find themselves in the driver's seat to kick off the festivities on April 25 in Nashville.

With the Raiders' beatdown of the Broncos on Monday night, Arizona is alone at the bottom of the standings (and top of the draft board) entering the final Sunday of the regular season, so the Cards are a loss at Seattle away from clinching the top pick.

Here's the first-round order heading into Week 17, along with the top three needs for each team.

28u0e0y.jpg

I took a look at the pro bowl teams from this year and last year to see what rounds various positions were frequently drafted. I did it partly because I always want to argue against drafting a RB early as it seems like I frequently see guys come out of nowhere and perform well. So before I came on here to shoot my mouth off I thought I'd try and look at some actual results. I looked at probowl starters and alternates counting each player only once if they made it both years. I only looked at offense positions besides QB. Here's some raw numbers of the draft round by position.

WR: 1,1,1,1, 2,2,2,3,5,6,UDFA,UDFA

RB: 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,UDFA

TE: 2,2,3,3

C : 1,1,1,1,2,2

G :1,1,1,1,2,3,3,3,3

T: 1,1,1,1,1,3,UDFA, UDFA

Here's few things that popped out at me

1) I was wrong about running backs. With the exception of the lone UDFA, the kid from Denver, probowl RBs are taken early.

2) Apparently WR and T are positions that yield probowlers after the 3rd round, Maybe these positions have a longer learning curve at the pro level allowing guys to put together their physical traits with the necessary skills after the draft. In other words, guys can actually grow into these two positions.

3) If you want a great Center, get him early. I think this is relevant because it means we should push hard to get a C in free agency over, say, a Guard, leaving more flexibility in the draft.

So, obviously there's lots of first round picks in the mix and this is a very limited sample set. I just threw it together because I wanted to cite facts about the RB position, and in trying to find stuff to support my opinion, I found enough to change my mind. If you don't like my methods, please go collect your own data and do your own analysis. I'd be interested to see it, but I sure don't want to argue about my methods. I'm not saying any of this is conclusive, just food for thought about how we value certain positions.

• Like (+1) 1

12-26: ESPN's Todd McShay Talks 2019 NFL Draft Prospects with Howard on WGR (11:57)

Topics of discussion included the 1st round being loaded with defensive prospects.  Howard asked about positions of interest to the Bills including DL, OT, and WR.  At the end of the segment they discussed Josh Allen's rookie season to date and what McShay thinks of him. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

7: R1P7

DL QUINNEN WILLIAMS
ALABAMA
39: R2P7

WR MARQUISE BROWN
OKLAHOMA
70: R3P6

C DALTON KISNER
KANSAS ST.
109: R4P7

OT DAVID EDWARDS
WISCONSIN
133: R4P31

G DARRYL WILLIAMS
MISSISSIPPI ST.
146: R5P7

TE CALEB WILSON
UCLA
158: R5P19

CB TREVON DIGGS
ALABAMA
182: R6P7

LB TROY DYE
OREGON
223: R7P7

WR EMMANUEL HALL
MISSOURI
226: R7P10

QB BRIAN LEWERKE
MICHIGAN ST.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:
7: R1P7

DL QUINNEN WILLIAMS
ALABAMA
39: R2P7

WR MARQUISE BROWN
OKLAHOMA
70: R3P6

DALTON KISNER
KANSAS ST.
109: R4P7

OT DAVID EDWARDS
WISCONSIN
133: R4P31

DARRYL WILLIAMS
MISSISSIPPI ST.
146: R5P7

TE CALEB WILSON
UCLA
158: R5P19

CB TREVON DIGGS
ALABAMA
182: R6P7

LB TROY DYE
OREGON
223: R7P7

WR EMMANUEL HALL
MISSOURI
226: R7P10

QB BRIAN LEWERKE
MICHIGAN ST.

Wow, that's some serious value toward the end if it shakes out like that.

Here's one that surprised me today:

7: R1P7  DL QUINNEN WILLIAMS ALABAMA
39: R2P7  C DALTON RISNER KANSAS STATE
70: R3P6  WR LIL'JORDAN HUMPHRY TEXAS
109: R4P7  OT WYATT MILLER  UCF
133: R4P31  G ROSS PIERSCHBACHER   ALABAMA
146: R5P7   CB DAMON ARNETTE  OHIO STATE
158: R5P19  EDGE SUTTON SMITH  NORTHERN ILLINOIS
182: R6P7   TE ISAAC NAUTA  GEORGIA
223: R7P7   RB DEXTER WILLIAMS   NOTRE DAME
226: R7P10  LB CAMERON SMITH  USC

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.