2019 Mock Drafts and top prospects

thunderingsquid

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agree with Blokes about Cajuste.  Not sure he goes top 5 but he definitely goes top 10 and is going to be the first offensive lineman taken.  We have seen this before - the early offseason "consensus" top LT is a technician who probably has hit his ceiling already (Jonah) - they almost always get leapfrogged by an athletic riser who tests well at the combine and has room to grow into the position.  That's Cajuste - his ceiling is higher than any other offensive lineman in the class.  And it wouldn't shock me at all if the Bills are hoping he falls to 9 - he'd be the pick in a heartbeat.

What's your thoughts on Cody Ford from Oklahoma?

Didn't see it posted yet, but Mel Kiper has released his first mock of the year: http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/25773312/2019-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-first-round-pick-predictions-rankings-draft-order

1. Nick Bosa
  2. Josh Allen
  3. Quinnen Williams - Jets
  4. Greedy Williams
  5. Jonah Williams
  6. Dwayne Haskins
  7. Cody Ford
  8. Devin White
  9. Rashan Gary - "Could the Bills get their Kyle Williams replacement here? At his peak, the 6-foot-6, 283-pound Gary is a menace who makes offensive linemen look foolish, but you'd like to see him do it with more regularity. Gary could play end or nose guard in a 3-4 defense or tackle in a 4-3. Buffalo could look at centers or guards here; improving the interior of the offensive line should be a priority."
  10. DeAndre Baker
  11. Jawaan Taylor
  12. Clelin Ferrell
  13. Kyler Murray - Dolphins
  14. Ed Oliver
  15. Jachai Polite
  16. Brian Burns
  17. Jeffery Simmons
  18. Greg Little
  19. TJ Hockenson
  20. Devin Bush
  21. Oshane Ximines
  22. AJ Brown
  23. Byron Murphy
  24. Marquise Brown
  25. Montez Sweat
  26. Dexter Lawrence
  27. Irv Smith Jr.
  28. Christian Wilkins
  29. Daniel Jones - Patriots
  30. Dre'Mont Jones
  31. Deionte Thompson
  32. Parris Campbell
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Disclaimer: I claim no expertise as a scout, but I’ve been watching football for 50 years and I am an avid draft fan.  I watched some some game tapes of Iowa TE Noah Fant and I don’t think that I see a first round prospect there.  He was consistently one of the last players moving at the snap - in one instance he was so late moving that it caused an INT.  We know that he isn’t much of a blocker and , in the games that I watched, he didn’t show a lot of effort and polish in his routes.  

He is definitely an outstanding athlete, but I didn’t see it translate to being open and making many plays.

For those that watch much more than a few games, what do you see and why is he considered to be a potential first round pick?

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 3

Just did a Fanspeak mock... my first of the year..... usual rules I apply to myself when doing this..... never reach more than three spots down the board (used Matt Miller's Big Board). Wouldn't hate this outcome:

9: R1P9 OT JONAH WILLIAMS - ALABAMA

41: R2P9 WR DK METCALF - OLE MISS

71: R3P7 EDGE CHASE WINOVICH - MICHIGAN

113: R4P11 CB SAIVION SMITH - ALABAMA

131: R4P29 RB DEXTER WILLIAMS - NOTRE DAME

149: R5P10 LB TE'VON CONEY - NOTRE DAME

159: R5P20 WR PRESTON WILLIAMS - COLORADO ST

184: R6P9 TE JOSH OLIVER - SAN JOSE STATE

224: R7P8 EDGE JORDAN BRAILFORD - OKLAHOMA STATE

230: R7P14 OT MITCH HYATT - CLEMSON

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/19/2019 at 5:17 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

Disclaimer: I claim no expertise as a scout, but I’ve been watching football for 50 years and I am an avid draft fan.  I watched some some game tapes of Iowa TE Noah Fant and I don’t think that I see a first round prospect there.  He was consistently one of the last players moving at the snap - in one instance he was so late moving that it caused an INT.  We know that he isn’t much of a blocker and , in the games that I watched, he didn’t show a lot of effort and polish in his routes.  

He is definitely an outstanding athlete, but I didn’t see it translate to being open and making many plays.

For those that watch much more than a few games, what do you see and why is he considered to be a potential first round pick?

I don't think he is a locker room cancer guy, but the Iowa coaching staff are serious about how their TE's need to play. The rap on Fant was that he was taking a lot of plays off when they were not going his way, no desire to improve his blocking, and inconsistent hands.

That is why Hockenson was their go-to TE down the stretch. Fant is incredibly athletic, but Hockenson is the more NFL-ready TE IMO.

As with all things time will tell. The fact that the Iowa program has produced Kittle (breaking NFL receiving records), and now 2 more TE's that will both go in this draft - they are certainly doing something right there scouting and coaching these guys up.

Edited by WideNine

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

Just did a Fanspeak mock... my first of the year..... usual rules I apply to myself when doing this..... never reach more than three spots down the board (used Matt Miller's Big Board). Wouldn't hate this outcome:

You make me and NYCBill happy with your first pick. I would love to have Winovich but don't see him lasting to the third round. I see him more of a second round pick. 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

LOVE your 1st 3 picks.  Am a bit worried about Savion Smith’ s poor performance in the title game, and the injury. IMHO, Dexter Williams seems a bit on the small side for RB.  JMO.  Does Coney have a marijuana issue?

Also, Winovich needs a haircut. ?

I’d be just fine with the rest of your picks.

27 minutes ago, The Senator said:

LOVE your 1st 3 picks.  Am a bit worried about Savion Smith’ s poor performance in the title game, and the injury. IMHO, Dexter Williams seems a bit on the small side for RB.  JMO.  Does Coney have a marijuana issue?

Also, Winovich needs a haircut. ?

I’d be just fine with the rest of your picks.

Again that was on the basis that I was accepting Matt Miller's big board as my own and saying no reaches more than 3 spots down the board. 

On 1/17/2019 at 10:18 AM, DCOrange said:

Didn't see it posted yet, but Mel Kiper has released his first mock of the year: http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/25773312/2019-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-first-round-pick-predictions-rankings-draft-order

1. Nick Bosa
  2. Josh Allen
  3. Quinnen Williams - Jets
  4. Greedy Williams
  5. Jonah Williams
  6. Dwayne Haskins
  7. Cody Ford
  8. Devin White
  9. Rashan Gary - "Could the Bills get their Kyle Williams replacement here? At his peak, the 6-foot-6, 283-pound Gary is a menace who makes offensive linemen look foolish, but you'd like to see him do it with more regularity. Gary could play end or nose guard in a 3-4 defense or tackle in a 4-3. Buffalo could look at centers or guards here; improving the interior of the offensive line should be a priority."
  10. DeAndre Baker
  11. Jawaan Taylor
  12. Clelin Ferrell
  13. Kyler Murray - Dolphins
  14. Ed Oliver
  15. Jachai Polite
  16. Brian Burns
  17. Jeffery Simmons
  18. Greg Little
  19. TJ Hockenson
  20. Devin Bush
  21. Oshane Ximines
  22. AJ Brown
  23. Byron Murphy
  24. Marquise Brown
  25. Montez Sweat
  26. Dexter Lawrence
  27. Irv Smith Jr.
  28. Christian Wilkins
  29. Daniel Jones - Patriots
  30. Dre'Mont Jones
  31. Deionte Thompson
  32. Parris Campbell

Hmmmm....Oliver going 14th?

The jacket incident aside, he won't drop that far.

Has Hockenson at 19? 

I and a few others here really like Hock, but I hope other teams (NE) do not grade him this high or he will likely never see a Bills uniform. Shush Kiper.

I went all offense with the first 5 picks and kinda liked it:

9: R1P9  OT JONAH WILLIAMS ALABAMA
41: R2P9  TE NOAH FANT  IOWA
71: R3P7  WR RILEY RIDLEY  GEORGIA
113: R4P11  C ROSS PIERSCHBACHER  ALABAMA
131: R4P29  G DRU SAMIA  OKLAHOMA
149: R5P10  EDGE JALEN JELKS  OREGON
159: R5P20  DL MARQUISE COPELAND  CINCINNATI
184: R6P9  LB KENDALL JOSEPH  CLEMSON
224: R7P8  RB BRYCE LOVE  STANFORD
230: R7P14  CB JAMEL DEAN  AUBURN

Ill take 2 trade.downs in a no talent year..load up..y not take..johnah williams.or ford(g)..at 1...dillard(,rtkl)or erick mccoy.(c) at 2...ogbuihay.(de).at 3...chandler jones clone..then risner(..otkl.)..my point is wr..lbk..is of no consequence..this year..talent has to come later in f.agency

On 1/28/2019 at 6:47 PM, thunderingsquid said:

I went all offense with the first 5 picks and kinda liked it:

9: R1P9  OT JONAH WILLIAMS ALABAMA
41: R2P9  TE NOAH FANT  IOWA
71: R3P7  WR RILEY RIDLEY  GEORGIA
113: R4P11  C ROSS PIERSCHBACHER  ALABAMA
131: R4P29  G DRU SAMIA  OKLAHOMA
149: R5P10  EDGE JALEN JELKS  OREGON
159: R5P20  DL MARQUISE COPELAND  CINCINNATI
184: R6P9  LB KENDALL JOSEPH  CLEMSON
224: R7P8  RB BRYCE LOVE  STANFORD
230: R7P14  CB JAMEL DEAN  AUBURN

This is who YOU'D pick, right? Rather than who you think the BILLS will pick? Because recent history shows a mid-to-late round leaning towards underappreciated and/or smaller school guys. You're rocking all major school/conference prospects here. 

Also, you see Fant's athleticism far outweighing the quiet criticisms about his effort/grit, yes?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This is who YOU'D pick, right? Rather than who you think the BILLS will pick? Because recent history shows a mid-to-late round leaning towards underappreciated and/or smaller school guys. You're rocking all major school/conference prospects here. 

Also, you see Fant's athleticism far outweighing the quiet criticisms about his effort/grit, yes?

Absolutely.  With Fanspeak s help.

Edited by thunderingsquid

This whole TJ Hockenson as a top 10 pick thing is some kind of weird way of apologising to George Kittle and Iowa for not ranking him higher, right? I finally got to give him a good looking at and I expected this amazing fireworks display. Instead, it was one man holding a sparkler in the rain. Not entirely sure he's even the best TE on the Iowa roster, let alone in the class.

There's flashes in the passing game that help me see why some might be tempted by him. Occasionally, he'll sink his hips and really explode out of his break. Other times, he seems to just slowly power down and go through the motions. I think his blocking still needs some work but his best reps in the run game are already NFL standard. I appreciate the enthusiasm but charging head down at blocks in the NFL will go really badly (even worse than him getting ragdolled vs Mississippi St). I do have some doubts about his grip strength as well, teams really attack the ball when he's a runner and I assume that's not some kind of shared delusion.

I'm very much against tight ends in the 1st round as a matter of principle but I'd make the exception for someone special. Hockenson ain't special.

Edited by Blokestradamus
  • Like (+1) 3

I’m against TEs on the first two days. They take too long to develop, are the hardest position to predict (outside of QB), take more hits than WRs.

Sure, it would be great having a good tight end but it’s a complimentary piece. The Bills would be better off taking a WR early if they are worried about getting weapons for Allen.

Easier to predict, get hit less, produce quicker. 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:38 AM, JohnC said:

What happened to RG John Miller? I thought he was going to be a mainstay player and play a position that we didn't have to worry about for a long time. Was it coaching, changing of schemes or just over-rating a player. And what are the prospects of Teller starting and being effective? 

If Miller can be salvaged and Teller slotted in then the overhaul of the line would be less of a task, assuming a tackle such as Cajuste or Jonah Williams can be added to the mix. I also contend that getting a tough between the tackle runner through free agency or the draft should be a priority. 

Recently a NFL analyst stated on the radio that the most important coaching job on a team was the OL coach. I believe that  We have to get this staffing position right. 

...I'm probably wrong but didn't PFT or PFF rate him as #2 at some point?.........

52 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'm probably wrong but didn't PFT or PFF rate him as #2 at some point?.........

I simply don't know about the rankings from PFT or any other rating service. It just seems to me that nothing that I have read or heard about him indicates that he has secured his guard position. If he remained on the roster and solidified his guard spot that would alleviate the necessity for nearly completely remaking the line. It just seems that this staff is not enamored with him. Maybe with a new OL and a different blocking scheme he might be in a better positions to succeed? As it stands I'm not sure he will be back.

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

I simply don't know about the rankings from PFT or any other rating service. It just seems to me that nothing that I have read or heard about him indicates that he has secured his guard position. If he remained on the roster and solidified his guard spot that would alleviate the necessity for nearly completely remaking the line. It just seems that this staff is not enamored with him. Maybe with a new OL and a different blocking scheme he might be in a better positions to succeed? As it stands I'm not sure he will be back.

...read an article highlighting the top 10 OL UFA's and he was at #9......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.