Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

3 minutes ago, theRalph said:

Josh Allen, on his way to becoming the most prolific QB in Bills history, will start 9/9/18.

Let's not go this far yet!

But in regards to your post, yes I also feel he is more than capable of being our franchise guy. I actually have high hopes for him. I'll remain very optimistic and hope I'm not proven otherwise

9 minutes ago, theRalph said:

It's Monday and the flow of calls bashing the Josh Allen pick continue. I wonder how many of these callers have actually watched the games and the scouting vids and blogs covering Allen.

Not bashing.   But I watched the game video as well--and can't see anything more than a guy with bad mechanics who throws 2-3 teriffic balls per game....

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 2

My thought is as long as AJ doesn't stink up the joint, he'll start.  It would benefit Josh Allen to sit and learn for a while; trial by fire is a tough way to learn and could end up hurting him in the long run.

I also think that as long as McDermott is HC, the run game will be prevalent.  I don't see Allen (or AJ) passing as much as say Brady or Peyton Manning.

We'll see I guess, but I do like the pick.  He reminds me a bit of Jim Kelly.  Not saying he will be another Kelly, but I see some of the same attributes that made Kelly great.  Time will tell what kind of QB we got, but based on what I've seen of him thus far (highlights, interviews), I like the pick. 

15 minutes ago, theRalph said:

It's Monday and the flow of calls bashing the Josh Allen pick continue. I wonder how many of these callers have actually watched the games and the scouting vids and blogs covering Allen. It feels like drought effects on fans still linger, even though the drought is now history. I define fan drought effects as a a predisposition of looking at anything the team does with negativity, because they've become conditioned to it over a generation of no playoffs.

Things have changed. McDermott and Beane in their time so far have done nothing but make smart moves. They have reshaped the locker room. They broke the drought with maybe the last version of the Bills one would have expected. They are certainly and systematically changing the franchise with their process. And yet their selections are being criticized as if they are still Ryan and Whaley. Nix and Gailey. And so on.

I watched everything I could find on Josh Allen prior to the draft and then watched it all again after. He is an accurate passer. Period. Completion percentage as a measure of accuracy is horsecrap. Allen was under pressure a lot. I see dropped passes. And under certain pressure he, at times, takes off a bit early. But he generally moves in the pocket well, with a Brady-esque hop avoiding pressure. He releases a football with up to a 74 mph fingertip speed. His release time is an insane .388 seconds. He does not throw balls in the dirt. He has a great football IQ and has run a pro style offense. He was not in a pass-happy college spread that benefitted the stats of some other draftees - like Mayfield. Allen completed 152 of 270 attempts in 2017 for a 56% completion percentage. Had he completed 23 more of these, he has a 65% average. Over 10 games, that's 2.3 drops per game. I saw more than that. 

The drought is over. Don't look back. Josh Allen, on his way to becoming the most prolific QB in Bills history, will start 9/9/18.

Bash away!!

He very well might start 9/9. And be back on the bench by the 2nd half.

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

I hope we don’t just pretend we have Carson wentz. We don’t have his OL.  I think some are underestimating one of two things.  1:  how much impact the OL has on a QB, especially a rookie.  2: how bad our OL is at the moment.  

Developing Allen correctly is way more important than the 2018 season.  He can be developed better as the starter but can also be ruined if the OL is complete garbage.

That's right and the schedule is brutal early this year.  We prob wont see him on the field until the last 5 games barring massive injuries. Its a good thing we kept our 1st next year cuz chances are its ginna be a top 10 pick. Well prob grab an edge rusher.

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You lost any remaining credibility right there.

I tend to disagree, I'm not saying he is pinpoint accurate. But he is certainly accurate and can make all the throws on the field. I don't get where ppl think he isn't accurate.(and don't even say completion %)

• Thank you (+1) 2

If Allen outplays AJM in pre season he should start. AJM can get you wins and is a solid QB that can have a season like Foles if he has the same talent around him. If Allen can beat out AJM and is named the starter for week 1 that would be the ideal beginning to his career.

I personally like the way Peyton Manning was brought into the NFL as a rookie. Let him be aggressive and throw the ball downfield and learn from his mistakes while learning the speed of the NFL. Now if the O-Line looks really bad then put AJM in there, no reason for the QB to get beat up. If the O-Line is playing solid and Allen beats out AJM in the preseason he should start.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I wouldn't mind putting him in and letting him take his lumps, but I also don't want to see him "ruined" which can be done by feeding him to the wolves too soon. 

Start him on the 9th, and he's going to do what he did in college - try to overcome his flaws and mistakes with his arm strength alone.  Which will get him eaten alive in the NFL.

He needs the benefit of sitting a year and working with a good coach to break his tendency to try to fix broken plays with his arm.

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I personally like the way Peyton Manning was brought into the NFL as a rookie. Let him be aggressive and throw the ball downfield and learn from his mistakes while learning the speed of the NFL. Now if the O-Line looks really bad then put AJM in there, no reason for the QB to get beat up. If the O-Line is playing solid and Allen beats out AJM in the preseason he should start.

I prefer how Aaron Rodgers was brought in to the NFL.

Bottom line: there's more than one way to develop a rookie QB.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I wouldn't mind putting him in and letting him take his lumps, but I also don't want to see him "ruined" which can be done by feeding him to the wolves too soon. 

I ask this with complete sincerity:  Is there an example that someone can give me of a QB who was highly drafted and whose career was ruined because he played to soon?

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Start him on the 9th, and he's going to do what he did in college - try to overcome his flaws and mistakes with his arm strength alone.  Which will get him eaten alive in the NFL.

He needs the benefit of sitting a year and working with a good coach to break his tendency to try to fix broken plays with his arm.

I prefer how Aaron Rodgers was brought in to the NFL.

Bottom line: there's more than one way to develop a rookie QB.

Absolutely agree 100%...

Like I said before, there is no critical need to rush a rookie quarterback into the starting lineup.  Let the other two guys compete for the starting spot, and if/when the team starts to lose out on the playoff race, put Allen in.