Jump to content
BuffaloBud420

Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

Hey breh.... I'm not the one who brought Luck into this conversation, Figster did, I was responding to his point, so please put your jump to conclusions mat back in your closet.tenor.gif?itemid=8186848

true that, 

 

it wasn't really an Allen , Luck comparison to begin with, but I do belive Allen could have the same bad luck under similiar circumstances.

 

The point I was trying to bring home to you transplant is with a new coaching and system installation comes growing pains which the QB will have to endure.  When all the kinks are out and the Bills Oline shows an ability to protect properly the playing field would be better suited for a young QB prospect in my humble opinion

 

Let McCarron do what we brought him here to do...

 

On a side note I see ESPN has Buffalo ranked last in the NFL on confidence at the QB position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

Hey breh.... I'm not the one who brought Luck into this conversation, Figster did, I was responding to his point, so please put your jump to conclusions mat back in your closet.tenor.gif?itemid=8186848

 

Sorry for 'jumping".  It's all good.  This question about Allen starting or sitting (for any length) will get hashed over all the way to September.

We got some good talks coming up!

As for the comment about the TT thread, you really should think about a poll for this subject.

It would be interesting to get the whole boards opinion on this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Wyche: "If Josh Allen is going to get playing time this year he's got to get it out of the gate"

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/steve-wyche-if-josh-allen-going-get-playing-time-year-hes-got-get-it-out-gate

 

"McCarron is a young guy that really hasn't had a break. I think he'll compete like hell, he'll be a good leader in that locker room. I think the competitive edge he'll have will at least let him start the season. I think the Bills have a good enough team to win plenty of games with him as the starter. That could make the transition to Josh Allen tough, which is why I think if Josh Allen is going to get playing time this year, he's got to get it out of the gate."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'd rather Daboll have the offense established before starting a rookie QB in the first year of his OC tenure and the first year implementing his scheme. To big of an investment to throw him out there without a foundation. 

 

If he earns it during training camp then start him. Starting Josh Allen is not something you can be wrong on. You can't start him then bench him. That will be all she wrote. 

 

 

 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If Josh Allen has "it" or at least "some of it" (LOL) he should be starting ASAP on this team, including Week 1.

 

 

Edited by Fadingpain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Steve Wyche: "If Josh Allen is going to get playing time this year he's got to get it out of the gate"

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/steve-wyche-if-josh-allen-going-get-playing-time-year-hes-got-get-it-out-gate

 

"McCarron is a young guy that really hasn't had a break. I think he'll compete like hell, he'll be a good leader in that locker room. I think the competitive edge he'll have will at least let him start the season. I think the Bills have a good enough team to win plenty of games with him as the starter. That could make the transition to Josh Allen tough, which is why I think if Josh Allen is going to get playing time this year, he's got to get it out of the gate."

I don't agree with this at all. If they've found a franchise guy in McCarron, then you roll with him. Don't worry about Allen. All it means is they now have an extra asset to sell.

 

Personally, I think there's a very low chance it plays out that way. I think the best case scenario is McCarron will be a decent starter  like Tyrod. The Bills may get back to the playoffs with him, but then Allen will be able to win the starting roll next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't agree with this at all. If they've found a franchise guy in McCarron, then you roll with him. Don't worry about Allen. All it means is they now have an extra asset to sell.

 

Personally, I think there's a very low chance it plays out that way. I think the best case scenario is McCarron will be a decent starter  like Tyrod. The Bills may get back to the playoffs with him, but then Allen will be able to win the starting roll next year.

I came to the conclusion long ago that there are more educated, accurate, prescient, and informed opinions on this site than there are in the likes of Steve Wyche, Marc Sessler, Dan Hanzus, and the rest of the NFL Network talking heads that claim to follow all 32 teams, but spend about 2% of their efforts on understanding the Bills.

 

To be honest, I like it that way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts, Giants Among Those in Need of Good Luck in '18

The Bills need ... AJ McCarron to hold down the fort in Buffalo. Many in the Football Cognoscenti believed that whichever team ended up selecting Josh Allen would be taking the draft's biggest gamble. The Bills turned out to be that team, picking the raw but undeniably talented Wyoming standout seventh overall. And while I don't profess to have the industry knowledge to state definitively that Allen should remain on the sideline with an earpiece and a clipboard this season, there's certainly logic to bringing along the organization's top prospect slowly. A lot of that will depend on McCarron -- and, I suppose, Nathan Peterman -- being able to play the game with some level of proficiency. Of course, the terrifying current state of the Bills' offensive line makes you wonder if that's even going to be possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

be nice when the biggest gamble turns out to be the best one. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't agree with this at all. If they've found a franchise guy in McCarron, then you roll with him. Don't worry about Allen. All it means is they now have an extra asset to sell.

 

Personally, I think there's a very low chance it plays out that way. I think the best case scenario is McCarron will be a decent starter  like Tyrod. The Bills may get back to the playoffs with him, but then Allen will be able to win the starting roll next year.

completely agree.  you start who is most ready, able and capable to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laughable. Each player has to earn it either by proving it in NFL current team or last team they are at. To start a player know matter what is insane.

 

On that note IF he wins the QB battle and IF they feel the O'Line holds I have 0 problem with it.

 

I also don't have an issue with slapping a red shirt on him for a year and letting him learn.

 

time will tell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2018 at 11:15 AM, LeGOATski said:

I don't agree with this at all. If they've found a franchise guy in McCarron, then you roll with him. Don't worry about Allen. All it means is they now have an extra asset to sell.

 

Personally, I think there's a very low chance it plays out that way. I think the best case scenario is McCarron will be a decent starter  like Tyrod. The Bills may get back to the playoffs with him, but then Allen will be able to win the starting roll next year.

 

I think Wyche was being a bit generous in his praise of McCarron. I don't think the competition will be McCarron as the clear winner. I think Allen's gonna win the starting job week 1 outright.

 

McCarron has time on the bench for 4 years but doesn't exactly have a wealth of experience in games. I also think this is different from Taylor in 2015.

 

Taylor's competition in 2015 in an already largely mentally/emotionally shot EJ Manuel and a Matt Cassell several years over the hill.

 

I think Allen is already significantly better than the competition Tyrod faced when he won the job.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

I think Wyche was being a bit generous in his praise of McCarron. I don't think the competition will be McCarron as the clear winner. I think Allen's gonna win the starting job week 1 outright.

 

McCarron has time on the bench for 4 years but doesn't exactly have a wealth of experience in games. I also think this is different from Taylor in 2015.

 

Taylor's competition in 2015 in an already largely mentally/emotionally shot EJ Manuel and a Matt Cassell several years over the hill.

 

I think Allen is already significantly better than the competition Tyrod faced when he won the job.

It wouldn't surprise me.

 

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Peterman won, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It wouldn't surprise me.

 

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Peterman won, either.

 

It will absolutely stun me if Peterman won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

It will absolutely stun me if Peterman won.

Completely agree, if Peterman wins we are in trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jeetz1231 said:

Completely agree, if Peterman wins we are in trouble.

Or we're not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Colts, Giants Among Those in Need of Good Luck in '18

The Bills need ... AJ McCarron to hold down the fort in Buffalo. Many in the Football Cognoscenti believed that whichever team ended up selecting Josh Allen would be taking the draft's biggest gamble. The Bills turned out to be that team, picking the raw but undeniably talented Wyoming standout seventh overall. And while I don't profess to have the industry knowledge to state definitively that Allen should remain on the sideline with an earpiece and a clipboard this season, there's certainly logic to bringing along the organization's top prospect slowly. A lot of that will depend on McCarron -- and, I suppose, Nathan Peterman -- being able to play the game with some level of proficiency. Of course, the terrifying current state of the Bills' offensive line makes you wonder if that's even going to be possible.

 

Funny.

I've got a couple guys in another thread telling me I don't know what I'm talking about and the offensive line won't see a dropoff.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×