Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

On 4/29/2018 at 9:47 AM, LeGOATski said:

I see the logic in doing so, but there's no rush, IMO.

Let's give him some time to study the NFL game, hone his technique...and then throw him out there when we play the best pass defense in the league.

Lol but seriously it begs the question. If he legit wins the job in TC do you trot him out week 1?

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Four Reasons Josh Allen Starts in 2018

Now that the draft is over and the roster (for the most part) is set, we can turn our attention to some of the key battles that will play out throughout the summer and into the fall. Obviously, the one position everyone is most concerned about is quarterback.

Going into the draft, most experts agreed that Josh Allen was the one quarterback in this draft that shouldn’t ever see the field in 2018. It’s not that he didn’t flash the tools to be a day one starter, rather he needs to refine those tools to become a more consistent version of what a lot of evaluators loved from Allen throughout his college career at Wyoming.

This is a great article and exactly why I think Allen will be the starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

I just think if Josh Allen starts everyone should be prepared for a very early draft pick......he is gonna make rookie mistakes and needs a ton of fundamental work.

Who knows..that may actually be the plan.  A rebiuld year then high draft pick and a ton of free agency money the next offseason......so glad Beane kept that 2019 first round pick

Don't start Allen from day 1...

The guy is the most raw out of all the "Big 4" rookie QB's, and has the most to learn and get caught up on in regards to NFL speed, playbook, competition, etc.

He also has an awful O-line and WR corps, along with an aging RB who will have even less holes opening for him this coming season.

He'll inevitably get injured, or worse, benched, possibly setting back his confidence and opening him up to endless questions throughout the season about if he's NFL ready or not.

Rather not throw him in that situation unless we have no other options. The Bills only get one chance to do this right. Better safe than sorry.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:14 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

NFL Total Access

Which quarterback should start for the Buffalo Bills? (3:33)

Discussion between Kurt Warner, Michael Robinson,  and Jim Mora, Jr.

Thanks for that. Interesting listen.

I find it intriguing as well. You could make an argument for any one of them, although the Peterman one is a little far-fetched. But hey, you never know what could happen in OTA's, training camp, pre-season, etc. and if he somehow gets the call as starter, I'll be cautiously optimistic the coaching staff saw something in him that gives them confidence. 

8 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Don't start Allen from day 1...

The guy is the most raw out of all the "Big 4" rookie QB's, and has the most to learn and get caught up on in regards to NFL speed, playbook, competition, etc.

He also has an awful O-line and WR corps, along with an aging RB who will have even less holes opening for him this coming season.

He'll inevitably get injured, or worse, benched, possibly setting back his confidence and opening him up to endless questions throughout the season about if he's NFL ready or not.

Rather not throw him in that situation unless we have no other options. The Bills only get one chance to do this right. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for that. Interesting listen.

I find it intriguing as well. You could make an argument for any one of them, although the Peterman one is a little far-fetched. But hey, you never know what could happen in OTA's, training camp, pre-season, etc. and if he somehow gets the call as starter, I'll be cautiously optimistic the coaching staff saw something in him that gives them confidence. 

The only two that seem sensible to me are McCarron and Allen.

I disagree.  You can find instances where both strategies (start your raw promising rookie QB or let him sit and learn) have worked, and instances where both have failed.  I think McCarron (and Peterman) may be bettern than you give them credit for, and that Allen, who as always had to be the big fish in a little pond will benefit from a little time on the bench to solidify the mechanics he's trying to learn and not have to feel the pressure he's felt as long as he's been playing football.  We'll have to wait and see what happens.

How to support a young Qb?  Good running game, and good defense.  Buffalo has plenty of both.  In terms of competition the pressure is on Aj Mccarron.  He has waited 4 years for this chance at earning a job.  Any but a complete beat out goes to the rookie.  Mccarron has to win in every area besides natural ability.  The best case come TC the table should be set.  If by that point Mccarron has not won it the transistion to Allen needs to happen. 

Long Qb battles never work.  The Texans look foolish to string alomg the Savage experiance as long as they did.  Preseason game 2 the Qb needs to settled and building for the season.  Wentz and Wilson won their jobs in the spring.  Hopefully, Allen does to.  No fault to Mccarron, but if its a prize fight the longer it goes the worst we are and Allen has the judges in his pocket so the worst Aj is.  Mccarron wins the job by knock out and that really it.  I dont see that being the case.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BeefCurtns said:

Lol but seriously it begs the question. If he legit wins the job in TC do you trot him out week 1?

Yeah, I still wouldn't want to.

Live NFL action is still a different beast than TC and preseason. Let Allen watch a few games and see the scenarios that play out. That should still be part of his OJT before he becomes the official starter.

I think we already heard Beane's answer to this question as I'm pretty sure he said (paraphrasing) "If he wins the job in TC, all the other players will see it. At that point, how can you not start him?"

I have no idea how to run an NFL team, but maybe they could make their intentions clear to the players somehow: "He won the job, but we're still going to let him watch a few real games first." Maybe they can pass that message down through the team leaders.

Then start him vs Green Bay.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

How to support a young Qb?  Good running game, and good defense.  Buffalo has plenty of both.  In terms of competition the pressure is on Aj Mccarron.  He has waited 4 years for this chance at earning a job.  Any but a complete beat out goes to the rookie.  Mccarron has to win in every area besides natural ability.  The best case come TC the table should be set.  If by that point Mccarron has not won it the transistion to Allen needs to happen. 

Long Qb battles never work.  The Texans look foolish to string alomg the Savage experiance as long as they did.  Preseason game 2 the Qb needs to settled and building for the season.  Wentz and Wilson won their jobs in the spring.  Hopefully, Allen does to.  No fault to Mccarron, but if its a prize fight the longer it goes the worst we are and Allen has the judges in his pocket so the worst Aj is.  Mccarron wins the job by knock out and that really it.  I dont see that being the case.

The #1 thing to support a young quarterback is the O-line. Everything else comes after that. If our O-line is struggling by the opener, I think that should lean McD/Daboll towards McCarron as the starter, In my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

The #1 thing to support a young quarterback is the O-line. Everything else comes after that. If our O-line is struggling by the opener, I think that should lean McD/Daboll towards McCarron as the starter, In my opinion. 

Exactly. 

And to the other guy who thinks we'll just automatically have a good run game...we regressed last year, and will likely regress more this year. 3 out of 5 of our starting O-linemen are gone, and they just so happened to be our 3 best ones. Shady is getting older, and our depth is worse at the position. 

I wouldn't say we have "plenty," in regards to a good run game.

Edited by BigDingus

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

Exactly. 

And to the other guy who thinks we'll just automatically have a good run game...we regressed last year, and will likely regress more this year. 3 out of 5 of our starting O-linemen are gone, and they just so happened to be our 3 best ones. Shady is getting older, and our depth is worse at the position. 

I wouldn't say we have "plenty," in regards to a good run game.

So the only reasoning to start McCarron is O-line... nope you start the QB that has the best chance to win. That will be Allen week 1.

Like I’ve said before, and I’ll say it again. JA WILL win the offseason. There are little to ZERO QBs in the league that can beat him in camp.

That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right choice to put him in game 1. Palmer has done an exceptional job developing his game. Hopefully the Bills have good QB coaches who can do the same.

37 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

What straw man said that?

Did you not say...

"If our O-line is struggling by the opener, I think that should lean McD/Daboll towards McCarron as the starter, In my opinion. "

Your straws are bent if you didn't realize you said that. If anything Allen is best suited for struggling O-Line. McCarron has known nothing but good O-Lines, Allen is the one who played behind bad ones.

• Like (+1) 1