Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

18 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Steve Wyche: "If Josh Allen is going to get playing time this year he's got to get it out of the gate"

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/steve-wyche-if-josh-allen-going-get-playing-time-year-hes-got-get-it-out-gate

"McCarron is a young guy that really hasn't had a break. I think he'll compete like hell, he'll be a good leader in that locker room. I think the competitive edge he'll have will at least let him start the season. I think the Bills have a good enough team to win plenty of games with him as the starter. That could make the transition to Josh Allen tough, which is why I think if Josh Allen is going to get playing time this year, he's got to get it out of the gate."

I don't agree with this at all. If they've found a franchise guy in McCarron, then you roll with him. Don't worry about Allen. All it means is they now have an extra asset to sell.

Personally, I think there's a very low chance it plays out that way. I think the best case scenario is McCarron will be a decent starter  like Tyrod. The Bills may get back to the playoffs with him, but then Allen will be able to win the starting roll next year.

47 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't agree with this at all. If they've found a franchise guy in McCarron, then you roll with him. Don't worry about Allen. All it means is they now have an extra asset to sell.

Personally, I think there's a very low chance it plays out that way. I think the best case scenario is McCarron will be a decent starter  like Tyrod. The Bills may get back to the playoffs with him, but then Allen will be able to win the starting roll next year.

I came to the conclusion long ago that there are more educated, accurate, prescient, and informed opinions on this site than there are in the likes of Steve Wyche, Marc Sessler, Dan Hanzus, and the rest of the NFL Network talking heads that claim to follow all 32 teams, but spend about 2% of their efforts on understanding the Bills.

To be honest, I like it that way.

• Like (+1) 1

Colts, Giants Among Those in Need of Good Luck in '18

The Bills need ... AJ McCarron to hold down the fort in Buffalo. Many in the Football Cognoscenti believed that whichever team ended up selecting Josh Allen would be taking the draft's biggest gamble. The Bills turned out to be that team, picking the raw but undeniably talented Wyoming standout seventh overall. And while I don't profess to have the industry knowledge to state definitively that Allen should remain on the sideline with an earpiece and a clipboard this season, there's certainly logic to bringing along the organization's top prospect slowly. A lot of that will depend on McCarron -- and, I suppose, Nathan Peterman -- being able to play the game with some level of proficiency. Of course, the terrifying current state of the Bills' offensive line makes you wonder if that's even going to be possible.

23 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

completely agree.  you start who is most ready, able and capable to play.

Laughable. Each player has to earn it either by proving it in NFL current team or last team they are at. To start a player know matter what is insane.

On that note IF he wins the QB battle and IF they feel the O'Line holds I have 0 problem with it.

I also don't have an issue with slapping a red shirt on him for a year and letting him learn.

time will tell

On 5/20/2018 at 11:15 AM, LeGOATski said:

I think Wyche was being a bit generous in his praise of McCarron. I don't think the competition will be McCarron as the clear winner. I think Allen's gonna win the starting job week 1 outright.

McCarron has time on the bench for 4 years but doesn't exactly have a wealth of experience in games. I also think this is different from Taylor in 2015.

Taylor's competition in 2015 in an already largely mentally/emotionally shot EJ Manuel and a Matt Cassell several years over the hill.

I think Allen is already significantly better than the competition Tyrod faced when he won the job.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

26 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think Wyche was being a bit generous in his praise of McCarron. I don't think the competition will be McCarron as the clear winner. I think Allen's gonna win the starting job week 1 outright.

McCarron has time on the bench for 4 years but doesn't exactly have a wealth of experience in games. I also think this is different from Taylor in 2015.

Taylor's competition in 2015 in an already largely mentally/emotionally shot EJ Manuel and a Matt Cassell several years over the hill.

I think Allen is already significantly better than the competition Tyrod faced when he won the job.

It wouldn't surprise me.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Peterman won, either.

15 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Colts, Giants Among Those in Need of Good Luck in '18

The Bills need ... AJ McCarron to hold down the fort in Buffalo. Many in the Football Cognoscenti believed that whichever team ended up selecting Josh Allen would be taking the draft's biggest gamble. The Bills turned out to be that team, picking the raw but undeniably talented Wyoming standout seventh overall. And while I don't profess to have the industry knowledge to state definitively that Allen should remain on the sideline with an earpiece and a clipboard this season, there's certainly logic to bringing along the organization's top prospect slowly. A lot of that will depend on McCarron -- and, I suppose, Nathan Peterman -- being able to play the game with some level of proficiency. Of course, the terrifying current state of the Bills' offensive line makes you wonder if that's even going to be possible.

Funny.

I've got a couple guys in another thread telling me I don't know what I'm talking about and the offensive line won't see a dropoff.