Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

I don’t think using previous successes and failures is a wise move. You can find many examples on both sides. Every situation is different. The Bills will put Allen in as soon as they believe that he is ready. It will be imperative that the coaching staff does a good job developing him. That’s what makes a young QB, not how soon or how long he sits. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think using previous successes and failures is a wise move. You can find many examples on both sides. Every situation is different. The Bills will put Allen in as soon as they believe that he is ready. It will be imperative that the coaching staff does a good job developing him. That’s what makes a young QB, not how soon or how long he sits. 

Whatever they do, I have that it will be appropriate for the situation. 

13 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Depends on how well the O-line is playing I think.    If they're holding their own, and Shady is rolling along, you might see him sooner than you think.  I see week 9 at home against the Bears as Allens first start.

I actually think at the end of training camp the qb rankings will be Allen, Peterman, then McCarron.    If Allen doesn't start the opener, I think it will be Peterman.

He's the least likely to start and the guy who might not make the final 53. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills might need someone on practice squad to throw balls so DBs can practice getting interceptions.  Those skills DO need to be practiced you know?

• Haha (+1) 1

My concern with this is that whoever we start at QB is going to take a LOT of sacks. 2 best starters gone and a veteran C and we've done practically nothing to stop the bleeding. And who will he throw to? I know we were never going to plug all the holes in 1 offseason, but let's try not to get Allen killed so quickly.

That noted, he has shown steady improvement and a great Sr Bowl. He might be ready for this offense before it's ready for him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

They might also want to make the effort to set him up to succeed. One of the wonderful things about having your Franchise Future as a quarterback is it suddenly becomes important to have a line which can pass-block, or receivers who make plays, or something close to a deep threat. Allen is universally held to be raw and unpolished, yet people are eager to rush him out into an offense universally predicted to be crappy. Why set him up to fail? Doesn't the "Process" have anything to say about that?

Of course the Process didn't do Nate Peterman's career any favors........

9 minutes ago, grb said:

They might also want to make the effort to set him up to succeed. One of the wonderful things about having your Franchise Future as a quarterback is it suddenly becomes important to have a line which can pass-block, or receivers who make plays, or something close to a deep threat. Allen is universally held to be raw and unpolished, yet people are eager to rush him out into an offense universally predicted to be crappy. Why set him up to fail? Doesn't the "Process" have anything to say about that?

Of course the Process didn't do Nate Peterman's career any favors........

It depends on if he was ready to play. It’s a totally different situation than Peterman. Allen is a physical specimen. They aren’t going to sit him if they think he’s ready. They aren’t going to play him if they don’t think that he’s ready. All of the scouting reports, speculation, etc... goes out the window when they start playing football. The Bills will do what any team in their situation would do and let the situation play out. It’s May 7th and he hasn’t had a practice yet. It may be May 7th of 2019 or May 8th of 2018 by the time that they think he’s ready. There is no right or wrong answer at this point.

I’ve been of the belief that he needed to sit a year. My opinion is based on what I’ve seen. It really means nothing until they get out there though. 

I don’t want him starting until after the Monday night game- the first half of the season is too brutal...let him get his legs under him, by getting comfortable in the playbook and with studying film first... I’m good with starting him the second half though.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I sure hope Allen doesn't throw 5 interceptions his first NFL game or he's going to be cut by the fans the next day.... Archie Manning threw 5 interceptions his first NFL game and he went on to have a pretty damn good career. Cut Peterman a little bit of slack people....

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I sure hope Allen doesn't throw 5 interceptions his first NFL game or he's going to be cut by the fans the next day.... Archie Manning threw 5 interceptions his first NFL game and he went on to have a pretty damn good career. Cut Peterman a little bit of slack people....

Allen as a 1st round pick who the team traded up for at the cost of two 2nd round picks will get more leeway than Peterman.  That's reality in the NFL.   Please stop comparing Peterman to Archie Manning or any other talented QB who was a 1st round ick. 

At this point no one knows what he will do. Its all guesses. I dont think it will take much to out perform AJ, if everything that his coach, oc, and Palmer stated are true about Allen. I believe in the coaches and gm to do the correct thing.

39 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Allen as a 1st round pick who the team traded up for at the cost of two 2nd round picks will get more leeway than Peterman.  That's reality in the NFL.   Please stop comparing Peterman to Archie Manning or any other talented QB who was a 1st round ick. 

I can compare any quarterback to any other quarterback I want and you can't do anything about it. Doesn't that just fry your ass....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Aren't we jumping the gun just a bit here? Can't we wait and see how things go in mini camp and training camp before making any of these decisions? Between McCarron and Peterman I don't see the need (at least at this point) to be making ANY hard and fast decisions of this kind. I don't care what the other teams with rookie QB's are gonna do. I think that the 1st order of business is getting him signed and into camp. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I believe Allen starting would be best for his own development, but I'm starting to think it will be week 5, not week 1.

If the the owner, GM and Coach have his back unlike in years past, this shouldn't matter, we know its a rough schedule, most likely his teammates know this, if he has the mental toughness to be a franchise QB he'll get over losses and bad games.