Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

Sorry I don't agree. Allen needs to sit awhile IMO he far from ready. 

IMO McC will be the starter and Peterman will back him up. Once Allen moves up to backup McC I think it will only be for reps so if AJ goes down for some reason IMO Peterman will jump over Allen and take over as the starter to finish the season or until AJ returns. IMO Allen will sit all year and fight for the starter roll in 2019 when he will be more ready for it and this team has more to offer him as in protection and play makers. To tell you the truth IMO I can see this team not winning much this season and having a very good draft pick next draft to add to this drafts building for the future where in the long run will pay off that much more then a lucky wild card IMO. IMO McC will be traded next season and Peterman will be the career backup here his entire contract and through his next. IMO the Allen era will not start till 2019.

Edited by xRUSHx

9 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Sorry I don't agree. Allen needs to sit awhile IMO he far from ready. 

IMO McC will be the starter and Peterman will back him up. Once Allen moves up to backup McC I think it will only be for reps so if AJ goes down for some reason IMO Peterman will jump over Allen and take over as the starter to finish the season or until AJ returns. IMO Allen will sit all year and fight for the starter roll in 2019 when he will be more ready for it and this team has more to offer him as in protection and play makers. To tell you the truth IMO I can see this team not winning much this season and having a very good draft pick next draft to add to this drafts building for the future where in the long run will pay off that much more then a lucky wild card IMO. IMO McC will be traded next season and Peterman will be the career backup here his entire contract and through his next. IMO the Allen era will not start till 2019.

So just to clarify, this comment by you is 'your opinion'?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

I expect Cleveland, NY Jets to do the same with their guys. There is going to be growing pains, no matter if you start him now or a year from now. You need in game experience. These guys are top ten picks and you draft someone that high to play.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Steve Young (who sat behind Montana to "develop"), Troy Aikman, Andrew Luck, etc. All had bad first years, if it goes that way for Allen it's no big deal.

McCarron and Peterman are not good enough to not throw Allen out there right away.

Didn't feel like reading all through the thread, but IMO, it will all come down to camp and preseason. Which ever QB shows the best in camp will get the start. If Allen doesn't look ready in camp you can best believe they will not put him out there just yet. So basically that is it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Didn't feel like reading all through the thread, but IMO, it will all come down to camp and preseason. Which ever QB shows the best in camp will get the start. If Allen doesn't look ready in camp you can best believe they will not put him out there just yet. So basically that is it.

Simple really. 

He improved his mechanics between the end of his season and the combine, atleast that is what has been said. I think fans that are down on Allen will quickly be impressed by how natural of a thrower he is. We haven’t seen that around these parts in awhile.

Learning the pro game will take time but he seems dedicated towards the craft so camp and preseason will be fun. It’s a good situation, someone needs to push AJ. If Allen is taking this as serious as all his interviews indicate I’d put money on him beating out AJ. 

Playing half speed in preseason games is going to allow him to shine early on in the process and AJ won’t last long after that. 

Just my feelings on it.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if I am repeating what has already been posted above. 

I have been saying repeatedly in the lead up to the draft that what's just as important as selecting the right QB in the draft, was putting that QB in a position to succeed.  There are probably dozens of QB prospects who have washed out of the league who could have been successful if they had gone to a different team with different coaches. That's what I worry about with Allen. 

If Allen starts this year, is he stepping into a situation that will hurt his development more than the game day experience will help him?  Look at the disastrous Peterman fiasco last year.  I don't think he will ever be the same.  It would be nice if we had a better supporting cast around Allen before he steps on the field.  Playing with confidence at the QB position is vital.  Going out there Sunday after Sunday and getting crushed is not going to help him develop.

Everyone talks about how great the Bill's Mafia is, but as anyone who frequents this board knows, there are a lot of Mafioso who can also be callous jerks, and after the controversy surrounding his selection this year, you know there will be a small, but very loud group of Bill's supporters who will take every opportunity to bash Allen mercilessly.  Unfortunately, I think a lot of our local sport's media are in that hater group.

Let's put a roster around Allen that will support him, not a roster that he will need to carry.  Like most here, I think next year's roster will be much stronger after a year of all of our rookies getting some playing time, another draft class of talent coming in, and key free agent acquisitions.  Most importantly, it will give Allen a chance to continue working on his mechanics, learn the play book, learn how to prepare for Sundays, and hopefully be able to experience some success when he finally does hit the field.

We have invested a lot to get Allen, now we need to do everything we can as a franchise to maximize his chance to succeed, and I think that means sitting for a while and giving him time to work on his game before he is thrown out there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

I expect Cleveland, NY Jets to do the same with their guys. There is going to be growing pains, no matter if you start him now or a year from now. You need in game experience. These guys are top ten picks and you draft someone that high to play.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Steve Young (who sat behind Montana to "develop"), Troy Aikman, Andrew Luck, etc. All had bad first years, if it goes that way for Allen it's no big deal.

McCarron and Peterman are not good enough to not throw Allen out there right away.

Not to mention Allen did play in a pro system in school

47 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

hopefully he plays well in camp, I do believe they will give him every opportunity to win the job, they should all get equal reps to begin

I hope AJ nails it and forces the Kid to sit and learn. seems like he has some knowledge to absorb before the Wolves. Best case scenario for my thinking.

and yes, nail that O line down quickly.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They should handle him just like Mahonmes was handled

But KC had a quality starter in Smith and they were a playoff team. They didn't need to start Mahomes to be competitive.

And last year we did not make the playoffs because of our passing attack which was abysmal 

i think this kid coukd be special but he has mechanics issues to work out on top of being a rookie

if we want to be competitive the. Play the vet to start and bring josh along slowly let the nfl game slow down for him a little bit

• Like (+1) 1

I'm torn on this, my belief is that Allen is going to look really good in training camp and preseason. It will be intoxicating watching him throw, making plays with his athleticism, and he just seems so charismatic. McBeane drafted him to be the leader and face of the franchise. Having said all that, any QB, especially one from a small school like Wyoming, would benefit from watching and learning for a time. It will be quite interesting to watch training camp develop for the QBs. I hope whatever they decide is in the best interest of his development, and I trust it will be.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

That could not possible be less relevant. Mayfield and Darnold are not Allen. We have the highest ceiling guy, who also has the lowest floor. You want to mess with that? I don’t. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I'm torn on this, my belief is that Allen is going to look really good in training camp and preseason. It will be intoxicating watching him throw, making plays with his athleticism, and he just seems so charismatic. McBeane drafted him to be the leader and face of the franchise. Having said all that, any QB, especially one from a small school like Wyoming, would benefit from watching and learning for a time. It will be quite interesting to watch training camp develop for the QBs. I hope whatever they decide is in the best interest of his development, and I trust it will be.

I basically agree with advocates for the take it slow approach, but I think you're right in your surmise that folks are going to be surprised at how much talent this kid has. 

• Like (+1) 1