Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

13 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

I agree with you in theory. The difference is Allen can make the throws that NP tried that got him picked the 2nd and 3rd times. He has the arm strength for it. I also wouldnt start the kid week 1 unless he blew away the competition and learned the playbook in and out, which is rare, but possible. We do not have the best supporting cast but either did Wentz his 1st season. Wentz is more polished than Allen but they are very comparable.

Right. Gotta earn it. Its the only way to earn the respect of the locker room.

I hope we don’t just pretend we have Carson wentz. We don’t have his OL.  I think some are underestimating one of two things.  1:  how much impact the OL has on a QB, especially a rookie.  2: how bad our OL is at the moment.  

Developing Allen correctly is way more important than the 2018 season.  He can be developed better as the starter but can also be ruined if the OL is complete garbage.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

I expect Cleveland, NY Jets to do the same with their guys. There is going to be growing pains, no matter if you start him now or a year from now. You need in game experience. These guys are top ten picks and you draft someone that high to play.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Steve Young (who sat behind Montana to "develop"), Troy Aikman, Andrew Luck, etc. All had bad first years, if it goes that way for Allen it's no big deal.

McCarron and Peterman are not good enough to not throw Allen out there right away.

Weren't you down on the Allen pick? I guess watching him flounder would give you some satisfaction.

I also think your argument of "well, everyone else does it" not compelling.

Throw in a 21 year old rookie who needs to make major improvements to his game behind a suspect/inexperienced offensive line to throw to arguably the worst WR core in the league.  I wonder what David Carr thinks of that idea?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, joevan said:

Start the best player at each position.  Make each player earn their place on the team

that's pretty much how it should be.

2 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

5-6 wins would be good for the franchise, we can get a top WR or OL prospect (also we love/night still need CB and Greedy Williams out of LSU is going to be great) round 1 and draft our future RB round 2/3

how would 5-6 win be good for the franchise? We won 9 last season, added quite a bit to our defense this offseason. Defense could be very good. It's possible AJ or Allen will be more effective than Taylor. I don't understand the 5 win season thinking.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

I expect Cleveland, NY Jets to do the same with their guys. There is going to be growing pains, no matter if you start him now or a year from now. You need in game experience. These guys are top ten picks and you draft someone that high to play.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Steve Young (who sat behind Montana to "develop"), Troy Aikman, Andrew Luck, etc. All had bad first years, if it goes that way for Allen it's no big deal.

McCarron and Peterman are not good enough to not throw Allen out there right away.

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more.  If he was in a more professional style offense I would be more willing, but given the circumstances he needs time to develop.  Also no one really knows what AJ can do so give him some time and see.  If he flops oh well not much invested.  On the other hand if he excels he could provide some value on the market.  

Edited by Original Byrd Man

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You're never going to know when he is ready. There are zero simulations on earth that replicate a regular season NFL game. There is NOTHING you can do in practice that will prepare him for the defenses he will be seeing under live bullets. 

I don't think that's an accurate statement.

9 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I don't think that's an accurate statement.

What I meant was the complexity in real time speed, under a full pass rush. Which is the one thing they all need to learn, and the only way to know if he will be good. You cannot simulate it.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

What I meant was the complexity in real time speed. Which is the one thing they all need to learn, and the only way to know if he will be good. You cannot simulate it.

Yeah, that makes more sense. But practice and studying film does help and is necessary for a QB to get prepared for the defenses he will face live.

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

Allen should start day one or after game 4.  Any later is scary to me.  

You can bet your butt Rosen is starting day 1

You can not compare where Rosen is with his talents right now to where Allen is.  Rosen is clearly the better QB right now.  Allen is so raw right now.  He's like a a pitcher that has a 102 MPH fastball but can't strike anyone out.  Once he learns how to do it watch out!   I really like the Allen pick and I think the debate to sit him or start him is foolish at this point.  Let's see how this summer goes first.  

• Like (+1) 1

If he wins the battle at camp then he starts.  Unfortunately he may pull that off due to weak competition more than anything else.  I imagine McCarron was brought in to mentor and anything more is a bonus, I just wish he had done a little more in this league so far.

I know the QB's from 04-05 had the pedigree, but one thing I feel gets overlooked is that Eli was behind Kurt Warner, Rivers behind Brees, Rodgers behind Favre and even Big Ben was behind Tommy Maddox I think who had played a lot in the league.  3 of 4 HoF, I wish we had something close to help this huge investment that is Josh Allen.  He may be the best of the 3 come September, but I think it would be best for him (and us) to wait.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

Goff sat for a while until they thought he was ready...working ok so far...there are a lot of veterans from last years playoff team with no intention of taking a "step back". When coached feel Allen is ready he will play

In case you missed it, starting is not a birth-right on this team.  He will have to compete.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Throw in a 21 year old rookie who needs to make major improvements to his game behind a suspect/inexperienced offensive line to throw to arguably the worst WR core in the league.  I wonder what David Carr thinks of that idea?

I still can't believe he's Derek's older brother.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's going to be a Real Interesting QB room they got goin' on in Cleveland.

Real Interesting.

I would love to be a fly on that wallpaper.

So what is the analysis on Allen?

1) sky high physical gifts

2) spotty accuracy, said to be due to spotty footwork

3) spotty decison making under strong pressue

Doesn't sound to me like a guy who should start Day 1, not if you want to have a prayer of getting any footwork changes engrained into his muscle memory

3-makes spectacular throws while on the run after being pressured.

Nope

needs Coaching. and Bills do not need to rush him in. Plenty of areas need to get sorted this season.

Lets not ruin another one please ;)

• Like (+1) 3