Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

7 minutes ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

NO  WAY   IN   HELL         WILL  HE  START  DAY 1 !

I implore the Bills to sit him until we have a deep threat WR and a solid Offensive line. Teams will Blitz this kid ALL DAY!

David Carr YEAR 1

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2002 23 HOU QB 8 16 16 4-12-0 233 444 52.5 2592 9 2.0 15 3.4 81 5.8 4.7 11.1 162.0 62.8   76 411 4.19 3.24 14.6 2 3 5

Allen already does a lot of scrambling, right? A trait for which Tyrod was often mocked on this site. IMO, a rookie starting too early is a great way to learn bad habits. But, if we don't fix our O-line, Allen may very well turn into a running QB, and have a lot of trouble fixing all the mechanics that every pundit has pointed out- footwork, accuracy, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Coffin said:

You expect wrong, no way is mayfield starting over Tyrod.  Darnold might start for the Jets.  

Wanting allen to start day 1 is asinine and irresponsible.

sit him a year, next offseason and draft get offense early and often to build around him

I agree 100%. Allen himself is not ready to start early and our offensive talent is not at a level that gives him a good chance of success. I say we let Mccarron show if he is worth trading next year and let Allen sit and learn.

25 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's the one thing he's used to. Getting pressure immediately. His OL was godawful. 

Yes but one thing that we can all agree on is the level of competition  ( defense) he will be facing is something that he will have to learn to digest (  quickly) he can not always rely on his athleticism to ascape the pocket like he did in AA division school , 

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Allen already does a lot of scrambling, right? A trait for which Tyrod was often mocked on this site. IMO, a rookie starting too early is a great way to learn bad habits. But, if we don't fix our O-line, Allen may very well turn into a running QB, and have a lot of trouble fixing all the mechanics that every pundit has pointed out- footwork, accuracy, etc.

I am right with you. Better that he watches the mistakes or masterful plays that AJM deals with initially. Play the kid at the end of the season.

Week 17: vs. Miami Dolphins, 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 30 at home in the snow and play to his strengths. Then in 2019 give him weapons and a power running game!

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

Yes but one thing that we can all agree on is the level of competition  ( defense) he will be facing is something that he will have to learn to digest (  quickly) he can not always rely on his athleticism to ascape the pocket like he did in AA division school , 

Heck yeah.  MIN and LAC defense's are a little different than Air Force/Utah State.

14 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

They need to start him when HE is ready. After his footwork has been corrected, after he has a firm knowledge of the playbook, after he has developed chemistry with his receivers and when the O line play is stable. That is when he will have the best chance for success.

I don’t know how anyone can disagree with ^

13 minutes ago, Putin said:

Yes, but we are not going to ask him to drop back in the pocket, look off coverage, go through three reads and then make a great decision. We are going to have him hand off a lot, throw easy passes, do play action and throw downfield to his first read so the defense must play off the ball and honest. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

They need to start him when HE is ready. After his footwork has been corrected, after he has a firm knowledge of the playbook, after he has developed chemistry with his receivers and when the O line play is stable. That is when he will have the best chance for success.

You're never going to know when he is ready. There are zero simulations on earth that replicate a regular season NFL game. There is NOTHING you can do in practice that will prepare him for the defenses he will be seeing under live bullets. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog

57 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's the one thing he's used to. Getting pressure immediately. His OL was godawful. 

It's also why his footwork is so bad.   Running for his life, he seldom got to work on his mechanics...

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

I expect Cleveland, NY Jets to do the same with their guys. There is going to be growing pains, no matter if you start him now or a year from now. You need in game experience. These guys are top ten picks and you draft someone that high to play.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Steve Young (who sat behind Montana to "develop"), Troy Aikman, Andrew Luck, etc. All had bad first years, if it goes that way for Allen it's no big deal.

McCarron and Peterman are not good enough to not throw Allen out there right away.

If he’s clearly better than AJ, then I agree.  The only thing that worries me is that our OL will do to him what they did to Peterman.  One start and a horrific performance by the OL and Peterman had of the the worst performances ever by any qb.  I could see allen having a similar experience. Our OL is worse than last year and our WRs still suck.  Starting him from day one could be the worst decision this franchise makes IF the supporting cast fails him

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

You're never going to know when he is ready. There is zero simulations on earth that replicate a regular season NFL game. There is NOTHING you can do in practice that will prepare him for the defenses he will be seeing under live bullets. 

So I guess this whole notion of Developing a QB is just a myth? 

10 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You're never going to know when he is ready. There are zero simulations on earth that replicate a regular season NFL game. There is NOTHING you can do in practice that will prepare him for the defenses he will be seeing under live bullets. 

Well, there's preseason...

16 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Practice against our D is the exact thing that’s will start to prepare him for the speed of the game. 

So your plan is to throw him to the wolves with a shoddy oline. That’ll teach ‘em. Nothing like a good concussion or two to get him moving!

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Well, there's preseason...

Preseason is 3/4 speed. Preseason is where fans get the misguided madman theory that guys like Nathan Peterman can play. It's slightly better than practice but nothing whatsoever like a real game. And the stuff it doesn't show, like disguising defenses, and the real speed of the game is precisely the things that separates good and bad quarterbacks. 

8 minutes ago, Putin said:

So I guess this whole notion of Developing a QB is just a myth? 

Developing quartbacks can happen while they are playing. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

I expect Cleveland, NY Jets to do the same with their guys. There is going to be growing pains, no matter if you start him now or a year from now. You need in game experience. These guys are top ten picks and you draft someone that high to play.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Steve Young (who sat behind Montana to "develop"), Troy Aikman, Andrew Luck, etc. All had bad first years, if it goes that way for Allen it's no big deal.

McCarron and Peterman are not good enough to not throw Allen out there right away.

He has to earn it and compete from day 1 in order to start week 1 at Baltimore. No way would I throw him into start from day 1.  That would be foolish.

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If he’s clearly better than AJ, then I agree.  The only thing that worries me is that our OL will do to him what they did to Peterman.  One start and a horrific performance by the OL and Peterman had of the the worst performances ever by any qb.  I could see allen having a similar experience. Our OL is worse than last year and our WRs still suck.  Starting him from day one could be the worst decision this franchise makes IF the supporting cast fails him

I agree with you in theory. The difference is Allen can make the throws that NP tried that got him picked the 2nd and 3rd times. He has the arm strength for it. I also wouldnt start the kid week 1 unless he blew away the competition and learned the playbook in and out, which is rare, but possible. We do not have the best supporting cast but either did Wentz his 1st season. Wentz is more polished than Allen but they are very comparable.

8 minutes ago, BB2004 said:

He has to earn it and compete from day 1 in order to start week 1 at Baltimore. No way would I throw him into start from day 1.  That would be foolish.

Right. Gotta earn it. Its the only way to earn the respect of the locker room.

Im an Allen believer, but my philosophy is you play a rookie Qb when he is your best option.  Whenever he is the best Qb you play him.  I think that will be very early on but I dont see any value in handing a rookie Qb a starting job in the NFL.  It never works.  The cream always rises.  Once the team sees a difference and know he is the guy it goes much easier traditionally.  

Edited by Mat68