Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

6 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

The schedule was built for us to move to a rookie qb At week 10 during the bye gives him 2 weeks to prepare and st that point we know if we have a shot at playoffs 

The exact week could be debated but you make a good point.

Like I said in the other thread starting Allen the 1st 4 weeks is not a good idea.

Ravens, Chargers and Vikings are among the best defenses in the league.

The combine 2017 defensive passing stats are like this.

48 TD allowed.

54 INT's

121 Sacks

I can see already most posters want him to start if he looks good in camp and preseason.

Preseason is not what he will see in Baltimore, Minnesota and LA Chargers (in Buffalo).

Don't do it McDermott.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

The exact week could be debated but you make a good point.

Like I said in the other thread starting Allen the 1st 4 weeks is not a good idea.

Ravens, Chargers and Vikings are among the best defenses in the league.

The combine 2017 defensive passing stats are like this.

48 TD allowed.

54 INT's

121 Sacks

I can see already most posters want him to start if he looks good in camp and preseason.

Preseason is not what he will see in Baltimore, Minnesota and LA Chargers (in Buffalo).

Don't do it McDermott.

Most coaches, especially defensive ones are not inclined to start a rookie on opening day. Fans may want it, but probably not McD. Allen would have to be obviously superior in most every area to see the field that early. 

We can't use the Wentz/Goff/Wilson model with Allen. He's far too raw. No matter how good he looks in TC, they have to let him sit at least half a season and see the game, picking up its nuances and really settling into his mechanics and footwork. I want greatness, but he needs teaching and not throwing him to the wolves is the right call.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

start him when he is ready.  he only has (2) seasons of experience.  putting a QB in when he isn't ready can derail his whole career.  

I would argue that it can quicken his demise, and kill his confidence, but that player wasn't going to have the requisite mental capacity or toughness to excel in the first place. If a QB is looking over his shoulder because he thinks the backup may replace him soon he probably shouldn't be out there anyway. 

If AJ starts this team goes nowhere in all likelihood. And Josh doesn't learn all he could be learning. 

26 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

You expect wrong, no way is mayfield starting over Tyrod.  Darnold might start for the Jets.  

Wanting allen to start day 1 is asinine and irresponsible.

sit him a year, next offseason and draft get offense early and often to build around him

Actually it wouldn’t surprise me if Mayfield beats Tyrod , not sure about  THE Darnold , 

Allen coming from a small school to NFL the speed of the game is on another level ,  and the most important IMO is the OL  , we can’t have them perform like they did last year in LA for Peterman 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Most coaches, especially defensive ones are not inclined to start a rookie on opening day. Fans may want it, but probably not McD. Allen would have to be obviously superior in most every area to see the field that early. 

Sure, if he looking like Andrew Luck did his 1st preseason, maybe.

I listened to Beane when he said we won't rush him but................he had a look like he probably will not start.

Just now, Putin said:

Actually it wouldn’t surprise me if Mayfield beats Tyrod , not sure about  THE Darnold , 

Allen coming from a small school to NFL the speed of the game is on another level ,  and the most important IMO is the OL  , we can’t have them perform like they did last year in LA for Peterman 

That's the one thing he's used to. Getting pressure immediately. His OL was godawful. 

If Allen beats out Peterman/McCarron cleanly he'll be the starter but like Beane said in the presser he's way behind the other 2 already so it will be all up to Allen, how well he's able to adapt, learn and process everything that he will be given and make it work on the field with reps. I cannot wait to go watch him in training camp, I hear it's a hell of a lot of fun watching him throw 60 yarders effortlessly.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

That's the one thing he's used to. Getting pressure immediately. His OL was godawful. 

I’m far from being an expert on this whole subject , but I think it would make sense before he steps on the field  #1- he has decent protection ( OL ) 

#2- maybe another weapon or two  , a little more speed on the outside , and of course it wouldn’t hurt to have a good reliable TE , am I asking for a little too much ?

• Like (+1) 1

NO  WAY   IN   HELL         WILL  HE  START  DAY 1 !

I implore the Bills to sit him until we have a deep threat WR and a solid Offensive line. Teams will Blitz this kid ALL DAY!

David Carr YEAR 1

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2002 23 HOU QB 8 16 16 4-12-0 233 444 52.5 2592 9 2.0 15 3.4 81 5.8 4.7 11.1 162.0 62.8   76 411 4.19 3.24 14.6 2 3 5
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

If he earns the job he’ll start. If not he’ll sit. Why would you want to force him out there if he’s not ready? 

Thats the opposite of what you you should do with a raw guy like Allen. 

...should be careful with that "voice of reason stuff" 'round these parts unless your fox hole is deep and you're wearing a kevlar vest.......why of course this gang is out to save their collective skin and jobs by starting the kid to justify the pick, right (COUGH/CHOKE)"?.......after all, the FIRST draft of McBeane and his staff of 17+ along with McD & McDaboll constitutes a CAREER in TBD circles, right?......SMH.....

11 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Allen should start day one or after game 4.  Any later is scary to me.  

You can bet your butt Rosen is starting day 1

Goff started in week 9. Rosen will start on day 1 because Bradford will already be injured. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Starting a rookie QB right out of the box is like putting a new V8 engine in your car, and red-lining it on its first start. It may end up fine, but it's also a good way of damaging a brand new engine.

26 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

But, so were a lot of the defenses they were playing, no? 

• Like (+1) 1

They need to start him when HE is ready. After his footwork has been corrected, after he has a firm knowledge of the playbook, after he has developed chemistry with his receivers and when the O line play is stable. That is when he will have the best chance for success.

• Like (+1) 1