Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

I expect Cleveland, NY Jets to do the same with their guys. There is going to be growing pains, no matter if you start him now or a year from now. You need in game experience. These guys are top ten picks and you draft someone that high to play.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Steve Young (who sat behind Montana to "develop"), Troy Aikman, Andrew Luck, etc. All had bad first years, if it goes that way for Allen it's no big deal.

McCarron and Peterman are not good enough to not throw Allen out there right away.

You expect wrong, no way is mayfield starting over Tyrod.  Darnold might start for the Jets.  

Wanting allen to start day 1 is asinine and irresponsible.

sit him a year, next offseason and draft get offense early and often to build around him

Edited by Laughing Coffin
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

You expect wrong, no way is mayfield starting over Tyrod.  Darnold might start for the Jets.  

sit him a year, next offseason and draft get offense early and often to build around him

Unless AJ turns into a pro bowl QB he isn't sitting a whole year. our schedule is brutal this year and I doubt we win more than 5-6 games. 

• Like (+1) 1

The way i see it is, just like the last 3 years, we are gonna have a run heavy o.  A rook can come in and throw down field off of play action in this type of o.  We sort of hid tyrod and his limits in our o, and wr can do that with allen.  I figure he will start and not make a lot of attempts, but long bombs and deep outs will push the d back and open up the rest of the o

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Laughing Coffin said:

i sure hope they have the brains to let him sit. i believe he was their target while they were considering a.j.

they could not have possibly found a better bridge type....who could turn into pro bowl caliber.

Just now, Yeezus said:

Unless AJ turns into a pro bowl QB he isn't sitting a whole year. our schedule is brutal this year and I doubt we win more than 5-6 games. 

how is this schedule brutal? road games to start?...minny and gb 2 in a row ...and the pats twice?

if we can get a couple of wins between the ravens/chargers....minny/gb...we could end up going out on a 6-7 game win streak.

we are gonna be the story of the afc this year!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

5-6 wins would be good for the franchise, we can get a top WR or OL prospect (also we love/night still need CB and Greedy Williams out of LSU is going to be great) round 1 and draft our future RB round 2/3

5 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

That's going to be a Real Interesting QB room they got goin' on in Cleveland.

Real Interesting.

I would love to be a fly on that wallpaper.

So what is the analysis on Allen?

1) sky high physical gifts

2) spotty accuracy, said to be due to spotty footwork

3) spotty decison making under strong pressue

Doesn't sound to me like a guy who should start Day 1, not if you want to have a prayer of getting any footwork changes engrained into his muscle memory

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

I expect Cleveland, NY Jets to do the same with their guys. There is going to be growing pains, no matter if you start him now or a year from now. You need in game experience. These guys are top ten picks and you draft someone that high to play.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Steve Young (who sat behind Montana to "develop"), Troy Aikman, Andrew Luck, etc. All had bad first years, if it goes that way for Allen it's no big deal.

McCarron and Peterman are not good enough to not throw Allen out there right away.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he starts.

The Panthers started Cam Newton and he set a rookie passing record in the season opener so if they think Allen is ready I wouldn't put it beyond them to start Allen if he has a good buildup to the season.

I just don't like the personnel the Bills have to support him even if they plan to be hyper-conservative.............and starting out with 5 of the first 7 on the road would be extra brutal for a young QB behind an OL in flux.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

...just say no....minis, OTA's, TC & pre-season will tell the tale....if he wins out by a wide margin, McBeane/McD/McDaboll have a decision to make.....if it is marginal, error of the safe side and let 'em sit.....pay is the same..........

I say start him day one. Make him win it in practice but he should be able to. If he starts day one, McDermott, Daboll, Cully and AJ will all be working their ass off to teach him the game and what to expect. If he sits he just watched and the coaches spend 80-90% of their time on AJ

12 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

I think we can win 8-10. This Defense is going to be really good. Top 10, maybe Top5.   Special Teams is solid, we have a great kicker and still have some playmakers on offense. If the O-Line can gel and hold up and Daboll calls good plays to keep teams second guessing, we can win. We also have solid coaching which can overcome talent deficiencies, especially when we have such good athletes on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

I saw an interview with Jordan Palmer during a pro day ( Darnold ?). He said he believes all QBs would benefit from backing up their first year. Obviously various external factors mean this doesn't happen often. But I'd be inclined to agree with him. I don't think Allen will sit the whole year, but wouldn't be surprised if McCarron starts through week 8 or so. It's around the time of the bye, and if the teams playoff chances are sunk it doesn't make sense not to play Allen. If the coaches feel he is ready. 

• Like (+1) 1