Bills Post Draft OL depth

So, the Bills went D heavy this draft, but did get a potential franchise QB in Allen, and have McCarron/ Peterman to hold the fort until he is ready.

We lost 60% of our starters this off season due to trades and retirements. It's a big rebuild on the O-line.

Let's look at our current depth (UDFA included) to see where the Bills stand now on O-line

Center:

Russell Bodine             6-3  308  25  5th  North Carolina (4th RD Bengals, 4 yr starter for the Bengals)

Ryan Groy                     6-5  320  27  5th  Wisconsin (UDFA 2014 Bears, spelled Eric wood for multiple games in 2016, considered C/G)

Adam Redmond          6-6  300  24  1st  Harvard (UDFA 2016 Indy, on and off practice squad before Bills signed him, considered C/G)

Guards:

Vlad Ducasse                6-5  329  30  9th UMASS (2nd NYJ, played LT in college, journeyman, solid G per PFF)

John Miller                    6-3  315  24  4th Louisville (3rd BUF, named among PFF most improved players between 2015 and 2016, didn't fit zone scheme 2017)

Wyatt Teller                   6-4  314  23  R  VA Tech  (5th BUF, All ACC)

Ike Boettger                   6-6  310  xx  R  Iowa (UDFA BUF, Played both G/T, many injuries, never found a position, 5.39 grade)

Tackles:

Dion Dawkins                6-5  320  24  2nd Temple (2nd BUF, originally considered a LG or RT prospect, played LT in 11 games out of need in 2017 and held his own)

Jordan Mills                  6-5  316  27  6th  LA Tech (5th CHI, journeyman with DAL and DET before landing with Bills. RT since 2015)

Connor McDermott      6-8  320  25  2nd  UCLA (6th NE, 2nd team PAC12 at LT, 4.98 grade)

Marshall Newhouse     6-4  330  29  8th  TCU (5th GB, starting LT in 2011-2012 when Pack went 15-1 and 11-5, Journeyman until 2017 Raiders started 14 games at RT)

De'Ondre Wesley          6-6  331  25  3  BYU (UDFA BAL, 0 starts)

Gerhard de Beer           6-7  262  xx  R  AZ (UDFA BUF, 4.8 grade)

Mo Porter                      6-6  310  xx  R  Baylor (UDFA BUF, LT in senior season, ungraded)

I would build the line as

LT - Dawkins/Newhouse

LG - Groy/Teller

C - Bodine/ Groy

RG - Miller/ Ducasse

RT- Mills/ Newhouse

Key Reserves:

C/G - Groy, Redmond

G - Ducasse

T -Newhouse

PS - McDermott and Porter

I think O-line was missed during the 4th and early 5th rounds, I hope those picks work out.

What would you do?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

So, the Bills went D heavy this draft, but did get a potential franchise QB in Allen, and have McCarron/ Peterman to hold the fort until he is ready.

We lost 60% of our starters this off season due to trades and retirements. It's a big rebuild on the O-line.

Let's look at our current depth (UDFA included) to see where the Bills stand now on O-line

Center:

Russell Bodine             6-3  308  25  5th  North Carolina (4th RD Bengals, 4 yr starter for the Bengals)

Ryan Groy                     6-5  320  27  5th  Wisconsin (UDFA 2014 Bears, spelled Eric wood for multiple games in 2016, considered C/G)

Adam Redmond          6-6  300  24  1st  Harvard (UDFA 2016 Indy, on and off practice squad before Bills signed him, considered C/G)

Guards:

Vlad Ducasse                6-5  329  30  9th UMASS (2nd NYJ, played LT in college, journeyman, solid G per PFF)

John Miller                    6-3  315  24  4th Louisville (3rd BUF, named among PFF most improved players between 2015 and 2016, didn't fit zone scheme 2017)

Wyatt Teller                   6-4  314  23  R  VA Tech  (5th BUF, All ACC)

Ike Boettger                   6-6  310  xx  R  Iowa (UDFA BUF, Played both G/T, many injuries, never found a position, 5.39 grade)

Tackles:

Dion Dawkins                6-5  320  24  2nd Temple (2nd BUF, originally considered a LG or RT prospect, played LT in 11 games out of need in 2017 and held his own)

Jordan Mills                  6-5  316  27  6th  LA Tech (5th CHI, journeyman with DAL and DET before landing with Bills. RT since 2015)

Connor McDermott      6-8  320  25  2nd  UCLA (6th NE, 2nd team PAC12 at LT, 4.98 grade)

Marshall Newhouse     6-4  330  29  8th  TCU (5th GB, starting LT in 2011-2012 when Pack went 15-1 and 11-5, Journeyman until 2017 Raiders started 14 games at RT)

De'Ondre Wesley          6-6  331  25  3  BYU (UDFA BAL, 0 starts)

Gerhard de Beer           6-7  262  xx  R  AZ (UDFA BUF, 4.8 grade)

Mo Porter                      6-6  310  xx  R  Baylor (UDFA BUF, LT in senior season, ungraded)

I would build the line as

LT - Dawkins/Newhouse

LG - Groy/Teller

C - Bodine/ Groy

RG - Miller/ Ducasse

RT- Mills/ Newhouse

Key Reserves:

C/G - Groy, Redmond

G - Ducasse

T -Newhouse

PS - McDermott and Porter

I think O-line was missed during the 4th and early 5th rounds, I hope those picks work out.

What would you do?

I would wait until they start at least practicing. A lot of unknowns   too many new faces and offense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

It'll work out. I don't think it is as bad as most people think.

Not a steller line, but it will get us through the year until we can truly fill holes next off-season.

I see what you you're thinking.....get the best 5 out there which may mean Bodine at Center.  

But I think they want Groy there.  

And they are going to want Teller to start....not force it, just hope he wins LG.  

Dawkins--Teller---Groy---VladMiller---Mills

Depth:

Bodine 

VladMiller 

McDermott

We need another depth tackle.  Badly.  

I'm going to say that Tackle is a bigger need right now than WR.  100 percent no doubt in my mind.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

LT - Dawkins/Newhouse

LG - Groy/Teller

C - Bodine/ Groy

RG - Miller/ Ducasse

RT- Mills/ Newhouse

i think it may eventually shake out like this...

dawkins / teller /bodine/groy/ newhouse

i really like the teller/ richie 2.0 pick

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

The line is going to be better than people think. They just need to gel

yep and the sooner they put a starting line up together the better. i doubt it will be the clown show it was last year. i would still rather have someone other than juan.

I don't love this group, especially the right side of the line. I think there were so many holes to fill this year that it wasn't possible to get them all with players that are any better than depth options on most teams with good offenses.. I expect the 2019 draft to be heavy on OL, RB, WR, TE. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I see what you you're thinking.....get the best 5 out there which may mean Bodine at Center.  

But I think they want Groy there.  

And they are going to want Teller to start....not force it, just hope he wins LG.  

Dawkins--Teller---Groy---VladMiller---Mills

Depth:

Bodine 

VladMiller 

McDermott

We need another depth tackle.  Badly.  

Don't disagree with you at all. There is every chance Teller becomes a day one starter at LG. I'm also not sure McBeane moves a 4 year starter from a playoff calibre team from C.

Groy has become an essential cog in the O-line with the departures. The C/G situation looks to be ok.

I agree T is a mess. I don't like Dawkins as a full time LT (trading Glenn was dumb), and Mills at RT is a rash we can't seem to shake unless Newhouse steps up.

Another real OT is needed.

This is also why I didn't like the 4th and 5th round. OT's Richardson and Jones were there for the taking.

If the Bills went Richardson in the 4th that is an immediate upgrade on Mills or at least depth.

Grab Taron Johnson in the 5th (trade the 7th to move up) or resign CB L Johnson to be the nickle and then get OG Teller.

It always amazes me how much Defensive coaches undervalue O-Line since that is what they scheme around.

4 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Knowing these coaches I bet it starts out: Dawkins-Groy-Bodine-Duke ASS-Mills

I bet you are right, but I will say I think RT could be any of Mills/Newhouse/McDermott.

To start the season the other 4 are probably the starters.

I do think by the end of the season it could look a lot different.

Groy is a FA at the end of the year.  I wonder how they really feel about him.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Knowing these coaches I bet it starts out: Dawkins-Groy-Bodine-Duke ASS-Mills

newhouse has to be way better than mills. newhouse has a really good background, imo it could only be an age thing that he get's beat out of that job. i think mills has hit his ceiling....and that ain't saying much...and btw...re-visit the la game. i would have cut him after that.