[Spoilers]Avengers: Infinity War[Spoilers]

2 hours ago, Andrew in CA said:

I think Hawkeye is still out there too.

I was thinking afterwards how many movies you would have need to seen in advance to have even the most basic plot comprehension.  For example, I just caught Thor 3 only a week or so before seeing IW and I'm really glad I did, otherwise I would have had no clue what the hell was going on in the first scene.

I'm thinking the following will get you basic plot comprehension: Avengers 1 and 2; Thor 3; Guardians 1; and Captain America 3.  I think that would give you enough of a sense of the infinity stones mythos, and the basic relationships and dynamics between the characters, so you could follow the plot.  

Someone who hasn’t seen any of these but wants to go to IW asked me the same thing. First I told him to watch Avengers, Winter Soldier, Avengers 2, Civil War, and both Guardians. Later, I told him he’s better off taking his time, watching them all, and getting ready for IW pt. 2 next year.

10 hours ago, Rico said:

Someone who hasn’t seen any of these but wants to go to IW asked me the same thing. First I told him to watch Avengers, Winter Soldier, Avengers 2, Civil War, and both Guardians. Later, I told him he’s better off taking his time, watching them all, and getting ready for IW pt. 2 next year.

Another teacher at work tried to convince my wife that they should take a couple kids to see it as a part of this school fundraiser they have each year.  She hasn't seen anything but the first two Captain America movies, and even then she barely paid attention.  I was trying to think up a way of giving her a crash course of character backgrounds to help her stay awake through the whole thing.  I quickly realized that there is no possible way I could do that.  Now after having seen the movie, I really hope they decide against this movie.  They're second grade and I think the story line could be a bit much for kids that age.  If nothing else, they need to see it with someone who can actually explain it to them after it is over.

19 hours ago, Rico said:

totally agree -- they're not all A+ but a lot of them are very good and i think that it's more fun for the viewer when you get combinations like Dr. Strange/Spiderman or Thor/Rocket Raccoon that you haven't seen before if you're familiar with their own movies.

8 hours ago, shrader said:

Another teacher at work tried to convince my wife that they should take a couple kids to see it as a part of this school fundraiser they have each year.  She hasn't seen anything but the first two Captain America movies, and even then she barely paid attention.  I was trying to think up a way of giving her a crash course of character backgrounds to help her stay awake through the whole thing.  I quickly realized that there is no possible way I could do that.  Now after having seen the movie, I really hope they decide against this movie.  They're second grade and I think the story line could be a bit much for kids that age.  If nothing else, they need to see it with someone who can actually explain it to them after it is over.

Yeah i think under 10 years old is going to be too much to take.  Loki gets the life choked out of him and they show his lifeless eyes in the first 10 minutes -- not to mention Spiderman's particularly excruciating pleas to Stark could be too much for younger kids. 

Although i don't have any kids so maybe they're more desensitized these days.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, shrader said:

I don't know about taking 2nd-graders even if they knew the characters. There were some kids just bawling during & after the ending when I went, ie. "Not Black Panther too!" "Spider-man!"

I was a little choked up myself. :lol:

Edited by Rico
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I'd take second graders in a heart bear. Might as well find out reality. 

I've got no problem with at as long as there is someone with them who actually knows what is going on.  The wife would have been even more confused than the kids.

On a side note, I don't know what a heart bear is, but I feel like I should be scared of it.

• Haha (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, shrader said:

I've got no problem with at as long as there is someone with them who actually knows what is going on.  The wife would have been even more confused than the kids.

On a side note, I don't know what a heart bear is, but I feel like I should be scared of it.

Has she been wearing a lot of clown make up recently or having a lot of photos with fish?

On 5/2/2018 at 9:48 AM, shrader said:

There are actually some decent summary vids on youtube that might be better than watching selective movies. (I havent seen the one below) 

IW was great. Going again tomorrow (wife wants to take her little sister and Im more than happy to see it again). 

I thought there were a lot of other ways they could have done it as well that would have been good, but i didn't have problems with the way they did it. 

I agree that Thanos is a great villain- I did think the thing with him and Gamora seemed a little forced, but I will have to see on the re-watch. I thought that his black order was spectacular and could have deserved more screen time (they are far more bada$$ in the comics) but I understand that they didn't want to take away from scrotum face. 

As far as deaths go, it's hard to see Loki (easily a top 3 character in the entire MCU) go out like that (it felt rushed), but if they bring him back again it'll just be dumb. 

I expect Gamora to come back -- though It would be cool to see her left as is at the end of part two, and then guardians 3 be focused on her in the "soul relm" or whatever, and the guardians split up followed by them having to get her back somehow.- That way there's more time to flesh out Star Lords response to her death and it doesn't come across as completely free of consequence. This also opens the door for a very gamora focused movie which i saw was the plann from James Gunn. It would also allow them to use Thanos in that "soul realm" and with flashbacks to continue to draw him out (depending on how it ends with him) and build on the depth he's already been given. Also, this could help them bring Nebula more into focus, which could be interesting.

I hope that Vision stays dead for two reasons- 1, it opens the door for a much darker version of Scarlet Witch. We can see her character grow as she deals with losing first her brother, now her... whatever that is. 2, as much as Paul Bettany is one of the best actors in the entire MCU, vision is just a hard character to do anything with. He's supposed to be this perfect creation, but then they try to humanize him and it gets tricky.  

I think that the deaths that will matter the most will be the deaths that come in part two. I fully expect at least one of the big four to die (Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Hulk) but probably at least 2. I think this is the natural conclusion for Iron Man and Captain America (or should I say Steve Rogers) but Thor dying wouldn't surprise me after his moment with Rocket (though I would say after Ragnorak he has a ton of value) Hulk is probably safe just cause everyone wants Hulk (and how do you even kill him in a realistic way?). My thought is that it will be both Rogers and Stark, which would be a huge blow, but would definitely make sense. Alternatively, It would be very fitting for Tony to do something to surrender his life only for Steve to stop him and give up his life. 

34 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I agree that Thanos is a great villain- I did think the thing with him and Gamora seemed a little forced, but I will have to see on the re-watch. I thought that his black order was spectacular and could have deserved more screen time (they are far more bada$$ in the comics) but I understand that they didn't want to take away from scrotum face.

I had no issue with anything between Thanos and Gamora.  Looking back, they planted the seeds for that really well in Guardians 2.  She never realized it, but Nebula sure as hell did.

54 minutes ago, shrader said:

I had no issue with anything between Thanos and Gamora.  Looking back, they planted the seeds for that really well in Guardians 2.  She never realized it, but Nebula sure as hell did.

I guess the one thing was that this movie had so much going on that you have to see it a couple times to really digest it. I will see tomorrow what I think. 

On 5/1/2018 at 6:09 AM, Boyst62 said:

Peter dinklage was a giant. Hahaha

On 5/1/2018 at 10:01 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

I thought that was a great touch.

I had to stifle my laughter every time he was on screen. Just hearing that big deep voice of his made me want to burst into hysterics.

He's a fine actor, but I really wish they had just made a CGI character and used his voice instead.

11 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I had to stifle my laughter every time he was on screen. Just hearing that big deep voice of his made me want to burst into hysterics.

He's a fine actor, but I really wish they had just made a CGI character and used his voice instead.

At one point I had to convince myself the squirrel wasn't real.  This took CGI to a new level.

Saw the movie yesterday, I enjoyed it and thought it was well done overall.  A lot going on but the overall plot kept things together.

I noticed near the end when Captain America grabbed Thanos' guantlet, Thanos' didn't seem able to use it against him and had to punch CA away with his other hand.  Curious, not sure if it'll come into play in the second one.

Only negative was that while I enjoy the quips and humor there were a couple times where they overdid it.

4 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Saw the movie yesterday, I enjoyed it and thought it was well done overall.  A lot going on but the overall plot kept things together.

I noticed near the end when Captain America grabbed Thanos' guantlet, Thanos' didn't seem able to use it against him and had to punch CA away with his other hand.  Curious, not sure if it'll come into play in the second one.

Only negative was that while I enjoy the quips and humor there were a couple times where they overdid it.

I will.do my best by memory

Capt got his strength by the space stone

Vision mind stone

Hulk ??

Thor from ?

Ok. Hungover. Can't think

I liked it, saw it Saturday.  Have to assume that this is the one timeline that Dr Strange saw where they can win, he said this was the only way as he was fading out.   Just not sure how they bring it all back around.   Also wondering if Hulk is now afraid to fight or just won't fight anyone but Thanos.  

On 5/6/2018 at 7:24 AM, GaryPinC said:

They were a little loose on the rules for when he could use the gauntlet.  Weren't they trying to stop him from making a fist at some point because that was when he could use it?  The whole scene on Titan where they were trying to remove it, that's where they played up that angle.  So if Cap is holding his hand open there, he may not be able to use the gauntlet at that moment.  But then, when he does ultimately snap his fingers, was it the gauntlet hand?

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I liked it, saw it Saturday.  Have to assume that this is the one timeline that Dr Strange saw where they can win, he said this was the only way as he was fading out.   Just not sure how they bring it all back around.   Also wondering if Hulk is now afraid to fight or just won't fight anyone but Thanos.  

Strange is the only character that has the ability to defeat Thanos.  Full house sister Scarlett witch is also close.

The comics had Thanos lose his gauntlet when he went out of his physical form. That's when Bradley Cooper's exes character takes it and rules