[Spoilers]Avengers: Infinity War[Spoilers]

Avengers breaks record for biggest opening weekend box office ever.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2018/04/29/avengers-infinity-war-biggest-box-office-opening-weekend-ever/562721002/

It's so popular, that hipsters have begun to proudly declare they won't go see it, or that they just don't care... cause they're unique that way.

So they have to bring back some of them, but I hope a few actually stay dead.  I feel like anyone who was legitimately killed (Loki, Heimdall, Gamora) should stay dead while anyone who faded away should eventually be brought back.  There needs to be some sort of repercussions after all of this is done.

So other than the original cast of Avengers (including Hawkeye, who I bet resurfaces in the next one), did anyone else beyond Rocket, War Machine, and Nebula survive?  I'm guessing Antman will be there next time too.  Those extra throw-ins seem like odd choices.

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

So they have to bring back some of them, but I hope a few actually stay dead.  I feel like anyone who was legitimately killed (Loki, Heimdall, Gamora) should stay dead while anyone who faded away should eventually be brought back.  There needs to be some sort of repercussions after all of this is done.

So other than the original cast of Avengers (including Hawkeye, who I bet resurfaces in the next one), did anyone else beyond Rocket, War Machine, and Nebula survive?  I'm guessing Antman will be there next time too.  Those extra throw-ins seem like odd choices.

Antman and Wasp will be there for sure. Also, the tag-on alluded to Captain Marvel. Her movie debuts one month before the next Avengers and it is said that she will be the most-powerful hero Marvel has put on screen so far.

I saw it and I thought they did a good job fitting *everyone* in this movie.  Thanos makes for a compelling villain, perhaps the best of the Avengers series - he's not bad just to be bad.  Since new Avengers are coming aboard, it makes sense that some have to fade away in 2019.  

(Ross Marquand from the Walking Dead is in this movie.  You won't spot him though but he got the role based on his talent for voice impressions.) 

As a sidebar:  How many Jurassic Park movies can they make?  Every movie revolves around A) the island and B) dinosaurs on said island.

• Like (+1) 1

Good point about Thanos. It feels like the first time where there was actually a reason for the villain wanting to destroy everything. Here’s my random moment of overthinking something. If he kills half of all life, doesn’t that remove half the animals and plants, leading to the same lack of available resources, at least when it comes to food?

And yes, I was very worried about character overload going into this movie, but they dealt with that really well. I never felt like one person was given more attention than anyone else (I’m looking at you, Robert Downey Jr). I’ve got that same concern for Deadpool next month. Hopefully that one proves me wrong too. 

An interesting note: You may have noticed in the credits that a character from Arrested Development was listed. It is Tobias Funke (David Cross) in his Blue Man Group get-up. He appears in a glass cage when Thanos is attacking the Collector. The interesting thing is that scene is soon revealed to be of Thanos' conjuring and not reality at all, meaning that Thanos is a fan of arrested Development?

Read more about it here:

https://screenrant.com/infinity-war-thanos-arrested-development-easter-egg/ 

7 hours ago, shrader said:

Kevin Feige confirmed that there will be real deaths in INfinity War. Some of these characters will stay dead.

I think it was a mistake to smoke Black Panther and Spider-man, two characters we know they can't kill outright.

5 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Kevin Feige confirmed that there will be real deaths in INfinity War. Some of these characters will stay dead.

I think it was a mistake to smoke Black Panther and Spider-man, two characters we know they can't kill outright.

They essentially wiped out everyone but the original Avengers, with a couple extras thrown in. It’s fitting that they’ll be the ones to save the day and them marvel will move forward to the newer characters. 

5 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I just saw this movie and it was the first avengers-marvel movie I have seen. I don’t understand the Allure of these movies.

So the first one you saw was the 18th or 19th in a series of movies. Don’t you think that might have a lot to do with not understanding what is drawing in viewers?

11 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I just saw this movie and it was the first avengers-marvel movie I have seen. I don’t understand the Allure of these movies.

also, the motive of Thanos wanting to destroy 1/2 the universe for balance is puzzling. 

This is like watching Game of Thrones for the first time during the red wedding and being puzzled why everyone is freaking out.

A lot of people have spent 10 years getting to know these characters. There is a bigger impact when you actually see them get their butts kicked.

• Haha (+1) 1

This movie was excellent and is the only movie I have ever seen in theaters that I am seriously contemplating buying another ticket for.  Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I thought it rocked, paid off and referenced so many big and small things from all the previous 17(!) MCU movies, and I have no idea where they are taking it for the finale next year (other than the appearance of Captain Marvel -- that better be one hell of a movie/character if she factors big into Avengers 4).  My guess is that the new Ant-man movie and exploring the microverse will probably play a significant part, and I've seen some io9 comments about potential time travel.  That seems possible with the use of the time stone if they can somehow get it back, but I hope they don't overdo it.  Time travel does not seem to really "fit" the MCU.    

I am really happy they didn't axe Cap or Iron Man before they got a chance to reconcile after the events of CA: Civil War.

This was the exact right amount of Dr. Strange IMO and I liked his immediate disdain for Stark.  

The Thor/Guardians stuff was really funny and they actually made me invested in the fate of the Guardians (I don't dislike those movies, but I never rewatch them).  

Bummed Loki is probably gone forever because I thought he was a great villain/anti-hero but his number was up after double-crossing Thor a million times.

Would've liked a bit more Black Panther and his crew since that movie was so great but I'm guessing IW was in the can by the time Black Panther blew up so they didn't know he would become so popular.

I wonder who (if anyone) is going to team up with Thanos for the next one since his whole crew was killed, or if he just goes solo.  The gauntlet looked charred and probably no longer usable so maybe he's not as powerful?  Or I could be reading too much into that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2018 at 6:57 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

Antman and Wasp will be there for sure. Also, the tag-on alluded to Captain Marvel. Her movie debuts one month before the next Avengers and it is said that she will be the most-powerful hero Marvel has put on screen so far.

I think Hawkeye is still out there too.

21 hours ago, shrader said:

They essentially wiped out everyone but the original Avengers, with a couple extras thrown in. It’s fitting that they’ll be the ones to save the day and them marvel will move forward to the newer characters. 

So the first one you saw was the 18th or 19th in a series of movies. Don’t you think that might have a lot to do with not understanding what is drawing in viewers?

I was thinking afterwards how many movies you would have need to seen in advance to have even the most basic plot comprehension.  For example, I just caught Thor 3 only a week or so before seeing IW and I'm really glad I did, otherwise I would have had no clue what the hell was going on in the first scene.

I'm thinking the following will get you basic plot comprehension: Avengers 1 and 2; Thor 3; Guardians 1; and Captain America 3.  I think that would give you enough of a sense of the infinity stones mythos, and the basic relationships and dynamics between the characters, so you could follow the plot.