Mel Kiper's 2018 NFL draft grades (Bills #1)

papazoid

Mel Kiper took a lot of heat for maintaining that Allen was one of the top qbs in this class and was seriously being considered to be the first player taken in this draft by Cleveland. Allen wasn't the first pick but he was seriously considered by Cleveland, the Jets, Arizona and Buffalo to be their  pick for qb. 

There are more than enough fair criticisms for the iconic draftnick. But his early opinion on Allen proved to be right. There are no guarantees for success when evaluating qbs. So I'm not jumping to any conclusions how good Allen is going to be. My point is that while so many people were skeptical in their assessment on Allen, Kiper's early assessment in the player turned out to be the prevailing view by the teams participating in the draft.  

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Mel Kiper took a lot of heat for maintaining that Allen was one of the top qbs in this class and was seriously being considered to be the first player taken in this draft by Cleveland. Allen wasn't the first pick but he was seriously considered by Cleveland, the Jets, Arizona and Buffalo to be their  pick for qb. 

There are more than enough fair criticisms for the iconic draftnick. But his early opinion on Allen proved to be right. There are no guarantees for success when evaluating qbs. So I'm not jumping to any conclusions how good Allen is going to be. My point is that while so many people were skeptical in their assessment on Allen, Kiper's early assessment in the player turned out to be the prevailing view by the teams participating in the draft.  

Good post.  All post-season, Kiper gave the lie to the TBD experts who said Allen was a third round talent.  My money is (and always has been) on Allen having a much better career than Darnold.

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

Good post.  All post-season, Kiper gave the lie to the TBD experts who said Allen was a third round talent.  My money is (and always has been) on Allen having a much better career than Darnold.

As I have said in prior post what's telling to me is that it was reported that the Cardinals tried to trade up to get Allen. They couldn't match our offer so they ended up moving up  to get Rosen. 

I liked all the qbs in the upper tier in this draft class. I would have been happy with any of them. Rosen is the most prepared to start right away. But the real measure is not how well they do in their rookie year but how well will they do after a few years in the league. 

Edited by JohnC

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

Are you using Kiper as a guide to make you feel better about Allen? Is this tongue in cheek?  He is terrible. Dude said Jimmy Clausen was the best player in his draft. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Guys, Darnold and Mayfield were off the board, it was Allen or Rosen.

Allen is a project with huge potential, the difference between him and Rosen is Allen knows he has work to do and is eager to work hard and take direction.  Rosen is more ready but thinks he knows more than his coaches and teammates and anyway hey its only football there are more interesting things in life right?  Which personality do you think McDermott wants as his QB?   Which do you?  

BTW I would have also been happy taking Jackson at 22 but he was not a #12 pick.  So lets say Beane took a non-QB at 12 and Jackson was scooped up before 22 ... would have been a disaster.

SO you see Allen was the best possible pick.  Moving up didn't cost us that much and locked in a top 4 QB.  Grade: A.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kiper's blessing merely reflects the fact that in this draft, the Bills FO aligned with his mocks and made him look smart.  No more, no less.

Kiper's views on Allen were consistent from the beginning of the extended evaluating process right to the end. In fact, he was ridiculed for having Allen being the first qb taken when he put out his first draft board. Mel the gel kept his stance on Allen while many of his draftnik associates strongly disagreed with him. While his big board and other draft boards fluctuated in their ranking of players Kiper's position on Allen was fairly consistent.  

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Are you using Kiper as a guide to make you feel better about Allen? Is this tongue in cheek?  He is terrible. Dude said Jimmy Clausen was the best player in his draft. 

Dude said he would retire if Clausen wasn't a successful NFL QB within X years.  As Clausen has been out of the NFL since 2015 Kiper is past his expiration date.

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No, i don’t need Kiper to make me feel good about Allen.  I’ve liked him for a long time.  Kiper is as good as any other draftnik, all of whom have made bad calls in the past.