RD 5, Pick 166: Wyatt Teller G - Viginia Tech

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Wonder what they are gonna do with John Miller. I'd like to see him have a good camp and compete for either guard spot.

Daboll has always run offenses with power blocking schemes so he should be a better fit for this offense than Dennison's. Still a spot that could be upgraded in the future but maybe less of a priority

13 hours ago, Big C said:

Wonder what they are gonna do with John Miller. I'd like to see him have a good camp and compete for either guard spot.

Hopefully getting away from a zone scheme will allow him to be the 2nd year improved mauler he was intended to be. I think he is often forgotten.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Hopefully getting away from a zone scheme will allow him to be the 2nd year improved mauler he was intended to be. I think he is often forgotten.

I was thinking that a return to the left side (where he played in college) would also benefit him, but Teller will probably go there.  I suppose you keep Miller at RG and hope the move away from zone helps him, unless they think Teller can play RG. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

I think he will translate to RG, because I am not sure he pulls well? Usually a LT conversion works best at LG. Interesting to see where he plays.

I've been watching VT game film this morning (there's lots of full games on YouTube), and he seems to pull often and with plenty of success. 

Actually, I don't understand why he was still available. Outside of a couple of false start penalties, I haven't seen anything concerning in his game. Sometimes he seems a little slow when he comes off the line, but he always engages his man, and he seems quick enough in pass protection.

I don't know, I think I watched 6 full games of film and I don't get it.

Edited by Acantha
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Acantha said:

I've been watching VT game film this morning (there's lots of full games on YouTube), and he seems to pull often and with plenty of success. 

Actually, I don't understand why he was still available. Outside of a couple of false start penalties, I haven't seen anything concerning in his game. Sometimes he seems a little slow when he comes off the line, but he always engages his man, and he seems quick enough in pass protection.

He was also first-team All-ACC this past season, despite a reportedly down year from the year before. 

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

He was also first-team All-ACC this past season, despite a reportedly down year from the year before. 

There has to be something; guys with his production and combine don't get passed up that many times for no reason.  I just spent a little time looking at some of the guards taken in round 2, and there's just not enough of a difference to make sense.  

14 minutes ago, Acantha said:

There has to be something; guys with his production and combine don't get passed up that many times for no reason.  I just spent a little time looking at some of the guards taken in round 2, and there's just not enough of a difference to make sense.  

There are a lot of good OG's who came out of later rounds.  The Bills might very well have gotten a steal here.  Time will tell.

16 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I rather see it like this G - Teller C - Groy G - Miller/ Vlad. Is it me or does the two linemen Beane picked up in fa the center and Newhouse seem out of the norm compared to all the other moves hes made since getting to Buffalo. Why not just sign Evans ? 

Ps. is the wr we signed from the Raiders still on the team cant remember his name at the moment?

Streater and Holmes are both here AFAIK

58 minutes ago, Acantha said:

Take a look at the thread about the post draft O-line I created. A lot of 4-7 and UDFA players.

I'd like Buffalo to add more Blue Chip players here in the coming years, but I'm not sure it's uncommon.

2 hours ago, Acantha said:

I am hearing more and more that he may have a shot to win the LG position. Now that you say he can pull, then say goodbye to Mr. Incognito. I liked his exceptional blocking, but I am more than ready to build this team up from the ground up. The best LG in free agency was undrafted and Jacksonville paid him mega-bucks. I think this guy is a beast and it may take a few years to polish him up, but depending on the scheme he may advance faster than expected.

The Jets and Jacksonville will probably expose our line, but the Patriots and Dolphins should be a great measuring stick to see if we can hold up against an average defensive line this year. I still would love to get another guy this summer to plug in at RG or RT.

5 minutes ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

I am hearing more and more that he may have a shot to win the LG position. Now that you say he can pull, then say goodbye to Mr. Incognito. I liked his exceptional blocking, but I am more than ready to build this team up from the ground up. The best LG in free agency was undrafted and Jacksonville paid him mega-bucks. I think this guy is a beast and it may take a few years to polish him up, but depending on the scheme he may advance faster than expected.

The Jets and Jacksonville will probably expose our line, but the Patriots and Dolphins should be a great measuring stick to see if we can hold up against an average defensive line this year. I still would love to get another guy this summer to plug in at RG or RT.

The Jets?

6 minutes ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

Hearing from who?

Just now, TPS said:

Hearing from who?

5-166: Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech

Despite being drafted in the fifth round, the Bills depth chart at guard is so completely unsettled that Teller could find himself competing to start at left guard. If Ryan Groy stays at center, it appears that Teller would immediately slide in to a starting role with either Vlad Ducasse or John Miller holding down the right guard spot.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Jets?

The Jets still have a very good Defensive line. They spanked us last year with our Veteran line.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

He didn't have a down year. I get the sense that someone writes something about a guy and it keeps getting repeated... and no one bothers to look at game film to see that he was just as dominant in his senior season as he was his junior season. As a VT season ticket holder for over two decades, he's one of the best O-linemen Tech has produced in my opinion. Everyone knew he was by far our best run blocker the past few years. I think he has a good chance to start...

Edited by October 1918
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, October 1918 said:

He didn't have a down year. I get the sense that someone writes something about a guy and it keeps getting repeated... and no one bothers to look at game film to see that he was just as dominant in his senior season as he was his junior season. As a VT season ticket holder for over two decades, he's one of the best O-linemen Tech has produced in my opinion. Everyone knew he was by far our best run blocker the past few years. I think he has a good chance to start...

Aside from Duane Brown I'm having trouble of thinking of someone better. I loved Sergio Render, and he's still a good friend, but as far as NFL goes he bounced around a couple PS's.