RD3, Pick 96: Harrison Phillips DT - Stanford

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

Clearly projects as a very good run defender at the next level. As a pass rusher he can dial up the area code but does not finish the way you would like. For now and unless he develops this aspect of his game he is a two down rotational DT who may not see the field much on passing downs. He should be a better run defender than Kyle but won't be as good getting after the passer in all likelihood. If he could do that he'd be gone first half of the first.

He has great intangibles and a high motor. He's absolutely a quality player, the kind that can be expected to play a long time in the league. An excellent pick at 96. Hitting on players like this in the mid-later rounds speaks well of what the Bills braintrust and their assistants are doing. Getting him where they did also involves a little luck to be sure but clearly there is more than luck involved. Getting their guy and saving 22 which they then turn into Edmunds is a master stroke by Beane IMO. Edmunds is a top 5-10 talent with stratospheric upside. Never thought we would land him.

That was my impression of him and why I was asking about everyone going straight to KW for a comparison. 

Both white, hardworking and humble but on the field it seems there’s a difference in play with strength/leverage vs quickness/agility. That’s not to say either guy sucks at the other skill set but that they seem more like complimentary skill sets than duplicating the same.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Surprised he fell this far.  Not the greatest need, but with Kyle nearing retirement, solid pick.

Can never have enough bodies on the line. Besides, I don't think Kyle is going to play that many snaps this year and Phillips >> Washington.  I wouldn't be surprised if they try to ship Adolphus for a late pick as it was reported they were trying to do last year.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Did they say where he was going to play, i.e. 1-tech which is Star's position, or 3-tech which is Kyle's?

In the press conference they had after selecting him McDermott said right now he projects as a 1-tech. Beane said he could possibly also swing out to the 3-tech, he didn't get a lot of opportunities to do that in college. This year he'll be in rotation with Star and hopefully develops his pass rushing skills for the future. But McDermott loves using a healthy rotation on the d-line so it's a good pick either way.

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Combined with Lotulelei this should help clean up the run defense.

Easy to forget with everyone playing out of their heads in the playoff game but that front was getting plowed in the second half of the season.

secondary was playing good football .

I think we can all agree LBs and D Line were a need.

Excellent value and great pick on it's own merit. Need and BPA converging with Value !