RD3, Pick 96: Harrison Phillips DT - Stanford

5 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

Quite the selection. Great value with our only day 2 pick.

Watching him right now on YouTube. Lol

I watched the Stanford game live when they played Washington St., he got ejected in it I believe, but I knew he was someone to be watched when I saw him make a great play in the backfield, followed by the commentators stating that he was the leading tackler on his team.

That's crazy.

31 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Watching him right now on YouTube. Lol

I watched the Stanford game live when they played Washington St., he got ejected in it I believe, but I knew he was someone to be watched when I saw him make a great play in the backfield, followed by the commentators stating that he was the leading tackler on his team.

That's crazy.

Yeah, I think he led all DTs in the nation in tackles.

Lunch pail, smart, versatile and athletic DT with a high motor. Sound familiar? :)

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

I see that.

He seems to have the rare ability to quickly diagnose the play, follow the ball, and disengage to make the tackle.  100 tackles for a DT is impressive.  May not be a plus athlete, but the kid is a football player.

I don't see Kyle's ridiculous first step, but I think HP will be much more stout.

Its hard to judge his first step because they had him playing nose. It will be interesting where the Bills line him up.

I hope Kyle teaches him everything he knows haha.

11 hours ago, NickelCity said:

WOOOOHOOOOO! Terrible airplane internet so it took me forever to log in but I went ballistic when the tracker read HARRISON PHILLIPS!

Go Bills! Go Stanford! Can’t wait to watch what I heard was an awesome moment!

It showed the heart of our fan base.....truly the best!

Not only a great football player, but a phenomenal man. He should have no problem being a fan favorite on and off the field being involved with the community.  And his locker room presence should go a long way.

This is a win/win pick. 

I could easily see him as a future captain of our Bills!!

At what point has this guy been just "average"? I mean for real.. 100 tackles last year, the team leader in that regard as a DT!! Out of our 3 picks so far Harrison is the one I have the most faith in. I believe in the other 2 as well but Horrible Harry will make an immediate impact.

At first I have felt McD focused too much on character and will bypass very good players with what he deems as bad attitudes. But the more I see the team he is putting together, the more I understand. This is the Super Bowl winning formula. Distractions are so limited, work ethics are contagious. I think we see a huge leap for this team in coming years. I no longer believe that last year was a fluke or just luck.

I my friends Trust The Process!

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

What type of player is he? More of a run stuffer, or can he generate pass rush? Or both? lol

Clearly projects as a very good run defender at the next level. As a pass rusher he can dial up the area code but does not finish the way you would like. For now and unless he develops this aspect of his game he is a two down rotational DT who may not see the field much on passing downs. He should be a better run defender than Kyle but won't be as good getting after the passer in all likelihood. If he could do that he'd be gone first half of the first.

He has great intangibles and a high motor. He's absolutely a quality player, the kind that can be expected to play a long time in the league. An excellent pick at 96. Hitting on players like this in the mid-later rounds speaks well of what the Bills braintrust and their assistants are doing. Getting him where they did also involves a little luck to be sure but clearly there is more than luck involved. Getting their guy and saving 22 which they then turn into Edmunds is a master stroke by Beane IMO. Edmunds is a top 5-10 talent with stratospheric upside. Never thought we would land him.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Not really the same at all and people are being a bit lazy with their analyses of him just because he's a white blue-collar lunch pal type player.

He's not Kyle Williams 2.0, certainly not even as a prospect. Phillips is a 1T run stuffing big ugly. Kyle is/was a 3T quick off the snap penetrating DT. Although this analysis says Kyle has marginal skills as a pass rusher as a prospect, it's his quick off the snap ability, that has allowed that to improve upon. Unfortunately Phillips doesn't have that and is not the type of athlete, he has to relay on his power. 

Saying that, Phillips is still a very good player and will rotate with Star, keeping them both fresh and freeing up the LBs, so they can roam.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Love, love, love this pick.  Unlike a player I won’t name, he actually produce first round results against good competition. I love Stanford guys, true student athletes. 

Minus is possibly the most important pick in Bills’ history, I love our draft.  And that is what worries me about having a defensive head coach be so involved with personnel.  I will trust them on defense but man, so far their offensive evaluations have been bad (OC choice, Matthews as a #1, Zay).

I'm watching a QB from Louisville put up 44 points in the 3rd qtr against Bradley Chubb, Ryan Findlay, BJ Hill, Nyheim Hines, etc. Smh