RD3, Pick 96: Harrison Phillips DT - Stanford

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Our defense is going to be good for a very long time. The best secondary in the nfl. A future wall of famer in Tre White. A 19 year old stud LB. (Sam Cowart 2.0) A rising star in Milano. A much improved Dline...Mcd’s Defense. Bring it

Yup.  Would love an OLB (Griffin?) but can't complain if they go all offense from here on out.

Maybe this is why he dropped....still well worth the pick

Analysis

Phillips is one of the more polarizing prospects in the 2018 NFL Draft’s DT class. It all comes down to how highly you value his production and his high-effort style of play. Those traits are valuable, but they don’t make an elite prospect on their own. Phillips’ lack of high-end athletic ability makes him a limited player in the NFL, and I’m not sure that I see him as anything more than an average NFL starter.

There is room for improvement with Phillips: his hand technique is still pretty raw, and he could certainly become an above-average run defender by more consistently playing with better leverage. But his size and frame likely limit him to a role as 3T in the NFL—and if he isn’t a plus pass rusher, that means he’s a base package player only. There is certainly room for a player like Phillips on an NFL roster as a base package 3T with potential for growth, but those types of players don’t demand high draft selections.

A team could certainly benefit from adding a player like Phillips in the Day 2 range, as he’s ready to start right away on base packages and would provide valuable depth to the defensive line. I just don’t understand the first round hype that Phillips has been getting, as he’s clearly a prospect with fairly limited upside—particularly as a pass rusher.