Various Opinions, Evaluations and Rankings on Josh Allen

I'll start with the prospect rankings from some of the most well known draft analysts. As expected there is a variation of opinions as with all the quarterbacks this year. 

Daniel Jerimiah: #4 QB Prospect

Bucky Brooks: #5 QB Prospect

Mike Mayock: #2 QB Prospect

Mel Kiper: #1 QB Prospect

Todd McShay: #3 QB Prospect

Tony Pauline: #2 QB Prospect

Dan Brugler: #4 QB Prospect

Bills took Allen as the #3 QB off the board so this seems reasonable according to the draft pundits. 

There are some varying opinions on Allen from scouts, coaches and executives as well:

Anonymous Scout says: “Kid put up terrible stats against bad competition. He was even worse against Power 5 competition, I’ll pass.

According to Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer, “not much has changed” after a terrible junior season, as far as scouts are concerned. He’s still seen as a first-round pick and a “raw mountain of ability,” though he does lack “polish.”

5 NFL executives and asked for their pro comparison after they studied Allen. Here are their answers.

Executive 1: Ben Roethlisberger 
"He reminds me of Ben coming out (of college). Similar size, athleticism, playmaking ability and decision-making. Allen actually has a stronger arm."

Executive 2: Jake Locker 
"I actually think there are some similarities to his game that will remind people of all three QBs taken early in the 2011 draft (Cam NewtonBlaine Gabbert and Locker). However, he reminds me more of Locker than the other two. Immensely talented athlete with a big arm but I question his accuracy. Major boom-or-bust prospect."

Executive 3: Locker
"I hope I'm wrong but I see a lot of Jake Locker in his play. He's taller, obviously. You can't ask for more physical tools. However, I have major concerns about his field vision and accuracy. He is a classic boom-bust guy."

Executive 4: Cam Newton 
"There isn't one specific guy that comes to mind. I'd probably say a lesser version of Cam Newton. He's a big, raw athlete that flashes 'wow' plays. Huge arm, can run, throw on the move and extend plays. His accuracy and mechanics are a concern. Big upside. Love the prospect."

Executive 5: Paxton Lynch 
"I recognize the size and arm talent but I can't get past the poor accuracy, footwork and decision-making. I see some similarities to Paxton Lynch."

Former NFL Offensive Coordinator Steve Fairchild ranked Allen his #1 quarterback with the following summary:

"Allen is an elite talent when it comes to quarterbacks.  He has NFL size, as well as very good athletic ability. He plays the game of football with toughness. He will have to learn to slide at the next level. Allen has a big arm with a quick release. These abilities make defenses have to defend the entire field as he can quickly and effortlessly throw the ball anywhere. He can stand in the pocket and continue to process with defenders around him, in addition to being able to escape and create when necessary. His speed is good, as is his ability to throw accurately on the run. Allen is a quarterback that doesn’t have a lot of experience and may have a learning curve when making the jump to the NFL in terms of scheme and situational football. His talent is undeniable and he should be top pick in the first round of the 2018 NFL draft and the first or second quarterback off the board."

More random anonymous scouts and coaches:

Before the combine, an NFC executive offered a prediction for how the pre-draft process would play out for Allen: "If you liked the tape, you'll love him from this point forward. If you didn't like the tape, you're going to like him in spite of it." That seems to be exactly what happened, to the point that the rest of the league believes the Browns really might take Allen with the No. 1 overall pick. How would new Cleveland GM John Dorsey justify that? "I think just the upside," an NFC personnel director said. "He's got a big, strong frame. He's got a big arm. He's competitive. He's tough. And he is not a polished passer at all. His accuracy is very inconsistent -- it's well-documented. But I think Dorsey kind of likes the tough, gunslinger type of quarterback." Of course, the downside on Allen is greater, too. There were a lot of factors that went into the 56.2 percent completion rate over his college career, but it's a concerning number no matter how you slice it -- and it shows up on tape. "You're not going to fix that in 10 weeks or two years," an offensive coordinator said. "If you're not accurate, you're not accurate. There's an element of processing and anticipation that I think he lacks. But I think he's got a big arm and somebody's going to over-draft the guy because of that." Allen isn't strictly a product of impressive workouts, though. I remember one executive telling me in September that this guy at Wyoming is the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck. (That exec predicted again this past weekend that Allen goes No. 1.) Another scout who has studied Allen closely offered a comp to Dan Marino -- if Allen keeps improving mechanically. "You're talking about a kid who's got a rocket arm who's more mobile than they give him credit for," the scout said, "and if he fixes the feet, the accuracy is going to come -- 100 percent, it'll come." Allen's medical was another question heading into the combine, given two past collarbone breaks and shoulder issues last year, but sources say his physical there raised no major red flags. He presented himself well in interviews, too. "He's the top guy in my mind," an AFC scout said. "He's a stud."

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

Yeah, ugh, not looking forward to the "process".

With Allen, there is not much middle ground. Fans, analysts and scouts mostly either like him or hate him. I don't mind that Beane took a big swing on Allen as he will either hit a home run or strike out. If he hits the home run, we don't talked about quarterbacks for another decade or more. If he strikes out, we may be discussing who we would like to see as our new GM and HC. 

7 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

With Allen, there is not much middle ground. Fans, analysts and scouts mostly either like him or hate him. I don't mind that Beane took a big swing on Allen as he will either hit a home run or strike out. If he hits the home run, we don't talked about quarterbacks for another decade or more. If he strikes out, we may be discussing who we would like to see as our new GM and HC. 

I gotta give the guys a bit more of a leash than previous regimes... they got us into the playoffs in year one while dumping a ton of salary.  If they miss on this guy there's always the next one.  I feel like they get 4-5 years minimum.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Pretty much - it's a steeper cliff when you take into account what was given up to move up 5 whopping spots to draft him, AND with Rosen still on the board. It's the lack of draft capital moving forward into today, coupled with remaining needs that hurt - (MLB, Interior DL, OL x3, WR x2, and another young RB wouldn't hurt). 

Had they just waited until 12, they could've taken either Rosen or Allen, if available (which, imo, one of them may have been), without giving up potential to address other positional needs. 

Best question remaining, who's going to coach him up? Is this a guy Daboll can even work with? Not expecting him to start day 1, but they packaged the future like he will be.