You vs Mike Mayock

Rigotz

All I hear about all year is how Mayock is the most accurate mock drafter, how he's an actual scout and you respect his opinion ....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928186/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-top-100-prospect-rankings

Josh Allen #9 overall player

Tremaine Edmunds #11 overall player

Josh Rosen #21 overall player

Baker Mayfield #22 overall player

Lamer Jackson #23 overall player

So, if you truly believe that you know more than Mike Mayock, then you have the right to bash this franchise and cry about how Allen sucks because he had bad college stats. Be honest though ... you didn't watch any "film" ... you read his accuracy % and watched his YouTube highlights. You don't actually know.

Now lets all move on and root for our guys, please.

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Rigotz said:

All I hear about all year is how Mayock is the most accurate mock drafter, how he's an account scout and you respect his opinion ....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928186/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-top-100-prospect-rankings

So, if you truly believe that you know more than Mike Mayock then you have the right to bash this franchise and cry about how Allen sucks because he had bad college stats. Be honest though ... you didn't watch any "film" ... you read his accuracy % and watched his YouTube highlights. You don't actually know.

Mike Mayock also liked Blaine Gabbert. <_<

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

well to put this into context I think you as the OP need to go through years of Mayock rankings and see how accurate he has been.

We shall see how this turns out but the odds are stacked against Allen.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Mike Mayock also liked Blaine Gabbert. <_<

So this is what we're doing now?

I know this sounds crazy, but every single analyst gets picks wrong.

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

There are always QB's with 1st round physical tools and poor football IQ on the field. They get ranked high all the time. They always fail.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/brett-favre-1.html

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I like Allen and Mayock, but this is the same guy who said, and I quote, "EJ Manuel doesn't completely suck dangling donkey balls." He's not infallible.

Well, he did basically say that the 2013 QB class sucked. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147694/article/mike-mayock-ej-manuel-secondbest-qb-in-nfl-draft

EJ was kinda like a one-eyed man in the kingdom of the blind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

So this is what we're doing now?

I know this sounds crazy, but every single analyst gets picks wrong.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/brett-favre-1.html

He was a 2nd round pick that was traded 20 years ago. 

Project QBs are ok to take a shot on, even if the chance they fail is high. Trading up for Allen and taking him over Rosen is what hurts. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PIZ said:

Chris Simms and Matt Miller - Bleacher Report, Jordan Palmer, and Bucky Brooks also loved the pick.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/What-national-analysts-are-saying-about-the-Bills-drafting-QB-Josh-Allen/2c213d20-bb09-4675-a431-681c4c800af3

I'm sure we'll hear about players they've liked that were busts in 3...2...1...

I like Allen and I am worried how he is going to be treated by fans who disagree with Mayock going forward but at the same time, I think it is unfair to label all of Allen's detractors as people who haven't done the research. Plenty have and just plain disagree. So it goes. What concerns me is that people are so wedded to their opinions that they just aren't going to get past this and will never give Allen a fair shake. Accusing them of being lazy in their research probably isn't going to help them reboot and clear all the bad feelings they have about this pick. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

He was a 2nd round pick that was traded 20 years ago. 

Project QBs are ok to take a shot on, even if the chance they fail is high. Trading up for Allen and taking him over Rosen is what hurts. 

He was really a first round pick because that actually matters for Favre was Green Bay. They traded the 19th overall pick for a guy who showed nothing in his rookie season. 

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, he did basically say that the 2013 QB class sucked. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147694/article/mike-mayock-ej-manuel-secondbest-qb-in-nfl-draft

EJ was kinda like a one-eyed man in the kingdom of the blind.

I remember Maycock saying that, in substance, at the time.  "If I am going to take a chance" on any of these prospects and be wrong I want to be wrong with one that has a big arm.  I remember the show.  Was not exactly a ringing endorsement.  But no, he did not say EJ sucked dangling donkey balls.  

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

All I hear about all year is how Mayock is the most accurate mock drafter, how he's an actual scout and you respect his opinion ....

So, if you truly believe that you know more than Mike Mayock, then you have the right to bash this franchise and cry about how Allen sucks because he had bad college stats. Be honest though ... you didn't watch any "film" ... you read his accuracy % and watched his YouTube highlights. You don't actually know.

Dude, please "chill" with the blanket generalizations.

We got guys here who watch film up the ying-yang and write yearly draft evals of the players of interest.  I watched a bunch myself.

We also have at least one poster here who saw a lot of Allen's games.

Several like him and felt his "spotty accuracy" is either fixable or reflects other problems

Several see major problems that grade him as a "developmental prospect", which is not the guy you want to be picking at #7

I actually haven't seen much here about Mayock being "the most accurate mock drafter", although most seem to give him better props than Kiper.  Both have been stunningly off in their QB e v a l (Gabbert, Clausen etc)

The most accurate mock drafter was called out (and confirmed as) Charles Campbell of Walter Football.  But critique of Allen is not limited to posters here - QB evaluators with serious chops like Greg Cosell, Aikman, and others see accuracy and field vision issues.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm sure we'll hear about players they've liked that were busts in 3...2...1...

and why wouldn't that be releavant. Can't cherry pick only the good. Thats like looking at stats and watching highlight films on youtube

Just now, ddaryl said:

and why wouldn't that be releavant. Can't cherry pick only the good. Thats like looking at stats and watching highlight films on youtube

Nothing wrong with it as long as you don't just cherry pick the bad...