4-27: Greg Cosell Breaks Down Josh Allen on One Bills Live

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I believe Dabol will mold an offense around Allen and not force a system like whatshisname did.

I dam well hope so. If not can him now and get me someone who will. We’re all in on this now.

as a side note note, WR wanted... preferably one that can run down a 70 yard bomb. 

K-Benjamin.... no, he is not that guy

Hey- we finally found a use for Lee evans, long jumper Goodwin or Sam-me Watkins! 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I was referring to the fact that nobody here was correct about how the draft played out. Which is totally understandable, considering we don't have as much information as the people involved in the process and we are for the most part guessing.

As for humility, meh. I've been plenty wrong before and I'll be wrong again. What I won't be doing is pretending to accurately predict the career of a guy before he's played an NFL down. I like the pick, lots of others don't, and that's fine. But to write it off based on guesswork before he's taken a snap is the height of arrogance imo.

It's a mistake to write him off completely because he's smart and physically talented.  He has some fundamental deficiencies that predict he'll struggle at the NFL level, but we should wait and see what kind of coaching he receives and hope for the best. 

5 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

With regard to your last point, they benched a starter for a 5th round rookie while they were in playoff contention and that rookie threw 5 picks. I can't think of a better example of blindly rushing headlong into a bad decision. Or more evidence of the head coach's inability to evaluate QB play.

Fair point, although from what I understand that decision had a lot to do with Dennison who was let go. And as it didn't prevent the Bills from making the playoffs, one could view it as a calculated risk.

55 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

"He has to become quicker mentally to develop into a quality NFL quarterback."

Sure, that's happened, ever.

Well, who knows whether Allen will become that guy, but the Wonderlic is a measure of quick, accurate thinking, and Allen blew away the other QBs on the Wonderlic.   

His shortcomings in the decision making arena may relate more to his coaching that his abilities.  He had a year of junior college, was injured his first year at Wyoming, then played two full seasons.   No one is going to mistake the coaching at Wyoming for the coaching at USC, UCLA and Oklahoma.  Those are big-time programs with big-time coaches.  Craig Bohl has had success, but not at the major college level.  He had Carson Wentz for Wentz's freshman and sophomore years and didn't make Wentz the starter.  Wentz only started after Bohl left for Wyoming.  If Bohl couldn't get Wentz near his ceiling in two years, why should we assume that he did it with Allen?

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's a mistake to write him off completely because he's smart and physically talented.  He has some fundamental deficiencies that predict he'll struggle at the NFL level, but we should wait and see what kind of coaching he receives and hope for the best. 

Yep. This is pretty much my view as well, although I am much more optimistic about his chances than most. Admittedly.

The life of a Bills fan.

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I dam well hope so. If not can him now and get me someone who will. We’re all in on this now.

as a side note note, WR wanted... preferably one that can run down a 70 yard bomb. 

K-Benjamin.... no, he is not that guy

Hey- we finally found a use for Lee evans, long jumper Goodwin or Sam-me Watkins! 

DJ Chark

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, who knows whether Allen will become that guy, but the Wonderlic is a measure of quick, accurate thinking, and Allen blew away the other QBs on the Wonderlic.   

His shortcomings in the decision making arena may relate more to his coaching that his abilities.  He had a year of junior college, was injured his first year at Wyoming, then played two full seasons.   No one is going to mistake the coaching at Wyoming for the coaching at USC, UCLA and Oklahoma.  Those are big-time programs with big-time coaches.  Craig Bohl has had success, but not at the major college level.  He had Carson Wentz for Wentz's freshman and sophomore years and didn't make Wentz the starter.  Wentz only started after Bohl left for Wyoming.  If Bohl couldn't get Wentz near his ceiling in two years, why should we assume that he did it with Allen?

Intelligence and processing speed are two different things.  I'm sure he's a very smart cat.  Can his brain work more quickly to process information and translate it to his body?  That's a really hard thing to improve.

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Fair point, although from what I understand that decision had a lot to do with Dennison who was let go. And as it didn't prevent the Bills from making the playoffs, one could view it as a calculated risk.

And it blew up in their faces, and they didn't learn from it. I wanted Rosen for the simple reason that he would be harder to screw up.

Allen could be the best QB of the class, it is possible. I just don't think we have the personnel and patience needed to make that happen. If he could sit behind someone like Rothlisberger, and develop chemistry with recievers that have speed and hands look out. But we are not even close to having that kind of support, and his early development will be key. Whats the point of having a qb with a rocket arm, wothout recievers who can stretch the filed? I can't see a scenario where this will work out.

Edited by MURPHD6

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Intelligence and processing speed are two different things.  I'm sure he's a very smart cat.  Can his brain work more quickly to process information and translate it to his body?  That's a really hard thing to improve.

Yep.  Stephen Hawking never got over his slow eye problem, unfortunately... 

1 minute ago, MURPHD6 said:

And it blew up in their faces, and they didn't learn from it. I wanted Rosen for the simple reason that he would be harder to screw up.

Allen could be the best QB of the class, it is possible. I just don't think we have the personnel and patience needed to make that happen. If he could sit behind someone like Rothlisberger, and develop chemistry with recievers that have speed and hands look out. But we are not even close to having that kind of support, and his early development will be key. Whats the point of having a qb with a rocket arm, wothout recievers who can stretch the filed? I can't see a scenario where this will work out.

It's no doubt the high risk pick. I liken it to the Rams w/ Goff (who was admittedly a more polished prospect)...he took some lumps his first year, then they got him some weapons and a new coordinator and suddenly he looks like their answer. I think if Beane/McD follow a similar blueprint and stick to the plan for his development it's going work out similarly, the upside being Allen's potential ceiling looks to me higher than Goff's.

Clay and McCoy if they can squeeze another year+ out of him is a solid baseline for a rookie QB. Benjamin is a QB-friendly wideout. Address the line and I think Allen can step into a situation that's conducive to future success.

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I believe Dabol will mold an offense around Allen and not force a system like whatshisname did.

Ideally, but how does he do that without a relaible deep threat when A.J has to start. Does he just tank and wait until next year?

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Josh Allen has pretty slow eyes which is why I'm worried. How can you not love his size and arm but lacking touch, anticipation, accuracy and game intelligence is crazy for such a high pick.

There may be a difference between slow eyes that occur because the QB played 7 on 7 in high school and at a community college for two years of his college experience and a prospect who just can't process that quickly and never will.  The problem is you can't be sure it's one and not the other.  We can hope, however.

21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Um, the Wonderlic isn't an intelligence test.   It IS a processing speed test.   Processing speed under time pressure.   I thought I said that.