4-27: Greg Cosell Breaks Down Josh Allen on One Bills Live

Greg Cosell's draft analysis: Josh Allen, a young wild stallion who needs to be channeled

Allen is a prototype. His physical skill set and overall traits are high level. He has the desired combination of arm strength and athleticism with the ability to move in the pocket and make plays. His size, at 6-foot-5, 237 pounds, is what NFL teams want.

The physical traits jump off the tape. That much is clear. But when you watch his tape, it’s also clear Allen needs to be coached hard and requires a pass game system that defines his reads and throws — like you’ll see in the offensive schemes of Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay or San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan.

DbtfKctWkAUU36c.jpg

DbtfNa5X4AI1gXl.jpg

4-27: Greg Cosell on One Bills Live (16:40)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, Lurker said:

Yep, the NFL is not a very forgiving place to learn the complexities of how to play QB...

It's funny that I was mentioning this before the Bills drafted him, but now any critique of him draws the ire of some as if this is a new revelation just for the sake of being negative. 

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

"He has to become quicker mentally to develop into a quality NFL quarterback."

Sure, that's happened, ever.

Yes it has.  In pretty much ever QB that has ever played in the league.  Both Mannings as an example took a year or so to get up to speed with the level of play in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's funny that I was mentioning this before the Bills drafted him, but now any critique of him draws the ire of some as if this is a new revelation just for the sake of being negative. 

Passions are high, on both sides. Hopefully it'll subside. 

I really wanted Rosen when the board fell the way it did, Allen was my least favorite of the top four so I get the knee-jerk outrage. I've also been one of the many on here (for years) who have argued that accuracy cannot be taught at the NFL level - so another red flag for me.

All that said, all I wanted was for the Bills to be bold and get the guy they believed in - which it seems they have done. Beane made his choice, he'll sink or swim on how well Allen develops. Here's to hoping he proves my fears unfounded and becomes a franchise guy for the next decade. :beer: 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Passions are high, on both sides. Hopefully it'll subside. 

I really wanted Rosen when the board fell the way it did, Allen was my least favorite of the top four so I get the knee-jerk outrage. I've also been one of the many on here (for years) who have argued that accuracy cannot be taught at the NFL level - so another red flag for me.

All that said, all I wanted was for the Bills to be bold and get the guy they believed in - which it seems they have done. Beane made his choice, he'll sink or swim on how well Allen develops. Here's to hoping he proves my fears unfounded and becomes a franchise guy for the next decade. :beer: 

We all absolutely should have this in mind, but it's hard to "unsee" what he did at Wyoming.   Here's to him putting it all together. Cheers.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

"He has to become quicker mentally to develop into a quality NFL quarterback."

Sure, that's happened, ever.

I think probably every QB that has ever been successful has become quicker mentally as the years went on.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

And to follow up, it's the level of learning needed.  We'll see with Allen.  But if you think guys come into the league NFL ready, that's very rare.

Agreed.   The most important development has to be "feel for the game."   It's an intangible, un-measurable thing.   And it's so, so hard to nurture if all you have is a big arm and are not getting a lot of reps under live conditions...    

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Agreed.   The most important development has to be "feel for the game."   It's an intangible, un-measurable thing.   And it's so, so hard to nurture if all you have is a big arm and are not getting a lot of reps under live conditions...    

But he has more than a big arm.  Let's see how he develops.

9 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Enjoy your 2 years of Sony Michel, because that's all you are going to get before that knee gives out. 

2-3 years is fine. In fact I think BB would prefer that. He is quite happy giving short contracts. Pats have been operating like that since last cba

I don't think anyone will deny he needs to develop aspects of his game if he's going to be the answer long-term at QB. What I don't understand is why you'd rule out the possibility that he WILL develop and keep harping on his deficiencies that have been articulated ad nauseum pre draft.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't think anyone will deny he needs to develop aspects of his game if he's going to be the answer long-term at QB. What I don't understand is why you'd rule out the possibility that he WILL develop and keep harping on his deficiencies that have been articulated ad nauseum pre draft.

Discussing strengths and weaknesses of a 1st round QB (who was just selected about 16 hours ago) on a Bills' Fan Forum?  What?!?!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz