RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

People like to say that, but IME it's never true.  There's no way a good QB can overcome a horrid D for example.  Football is a team game.  It just is.

Between 2001 and 2007 Miami of Ohio had 6 players drafted in the NFL, including an OT in 2001,  a OG in 2004, and a WR in 2007.  That doesn't make them a powerhouse, but it does show at that time, Miami of Ohio wasn't totally bereft of talent. 

Of course, Wyoming had a C and a RB drafted last year and an OLB drafted the year before, so you could make the same argument there.

Look at Flutie’s and RJ’s record with the same D.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

The teams that picked Mayfield, Darnold and Allen ahead of Rosen don’t know what they are looking at either?

I think you need to end your Rosen crusade and stop embarrassing yourself, especially since he plays for another team.

I believe this is excellent advice and should be taken by both parties.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We agree that there is risk but it isn’t the same risk across the board. Andrew Luck came into the league with very little risk. Aaron Rodgers and Blake Bortles came with a lot of risk. Allen is certainly considered high risk. 

And I'm saying Rosen isn't a sure thing either.  Just because his numbers are better doesn't mean he will translate to the NFL better.  It's more than the field, it's the locker room and a lot more responsibility.  I don't think he is a good leader, he's an as$hole and I think he'll rough some feathers at some point.  He's also fragile with concussion question marks.  I'll take a little mechanics issue over a guy with head injuries.  We need a tough guy in this city, not a pretty boy.  That's not what this city is.  Jim Kelly defined Buffalo, we need another guy like that.  Someone who embraces the weather.  We missed out on Big Ben last time, I'm glad we didn't make that mistake this time.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

And I'm saying Rosen isn't a sure thing either.  Just because his numbers are better doesn't mean he will translate to the NFL better.  It's more than the field, it's the locker room and a lot more responsibility.  I don't think he is a good leader, he's an as$hole and I think he'll rough some feathers at some point.  He's also fragile with concussion question marks.  I'll take a little mechanics issue over a guy with head injuries.  We need a tough guy in this city, not a pretty boy.  That's not what this city is.  Jim Kelly defined Buffalo, we need another guy like that.  Someone who embraces the weather.  We missed out on Big Ben last time, I'm glad we didn't make that mistake this time.

Your post is certainly aligned with the general media themes about Rosen.

I'll say this. 

Fundamentally, playing QB is about being able to correctly interpret what you see on the field, identify what your options are, decide, and throw accurately.

A guy may be an as$hole, be able to do all those things brilliantly, and succeed.  He's kind of like a car with a broken window or a ratty headliner.  It isn't fun, you don't want to hang out in it, but it gets you where you need to go.  You put cardboard over the window, tape up the headliner, and drive.  Maybe you can even modify the headliner.

A "little mechanics issue" for a QB, or for that matter the inability to interpret/identify/decide on the field, is like a car with a bad transfer case.  It fundamentally can't do the job that you need it to do.

I'm NOT saying that's true of Allen.  The Bills may have info that leads them to believe they can fix his transfer case and cruise with him.  They may have preferred him entirely for football reasons.  I hope that's true.

I'm saying I don't feel better about the Allen draft pick because  we're told he "defines Buffalo" or is perceived to be "great in the locker room" and not an "as$hole".  Because fundamentally, if he can't do the job a QB needs to do on the field, it's no good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll say this. 

Fundamentally, playing QB is about being able to correctly interpret what you see on the field, identify what your options are, decide, and throw accurately.

A guy may be an as$hole, be able to do all those things brilliantly, and succeed.  He's kind of like a car with a broken window or a ratty headliner.  It isn't fun, you don't want to hang out in it, but it gets you where you need to go.  You put cardboard over the window, tape up the headliner, and drive.  Maybe you can even modify the headliner.

A "little mechanics issue" for a QB, or for that matter the inability to interpret/identify/decide on the field, is like a car with a bad transfer case.  It fundamentally can't do the job that you need it to do.

I'm NOT saying that's true of Allen.  The Bills may have info that leads them to believe they can fix his transfer case and cruise with him.  They may have preferred him entirely for football reasons.  I hope that's true.

I'm saying I don't feel better about the Allen draft pick because  we're told he "defines Buffalo" or is perceived to be "great in the locker room" and not an "as$hole".  Because fundamentally, if he can't do the job a QB needs to do on the field, it's no good.

I don't think having a bad personality is a superficial issue, but if you're a superior player, teams learn to deal with it.  A good fella that can't play isn't preferable to a jerk who can.  I honestly don't think the current regime passed on Rosen for Allen bacause they think the latter is a more pleasing character to hang out with.  My guess is they think his mechanical issues are very likely fixable.  They may even think he is the best future NFL qb and we were lucky his surrounding cast in 2017 was so bad it masked his ability somewhat.  That is the happy scenario and I'm going with it.  If they allowed charisma to be the defining issue, they are not good football minds.  At this point, I have no reason to think they are foolish.  Further, it seems the football folks tend to like Allen, while bloggers and analytic nerds prefer Rosen.  We'll see how it plays out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Your calling Josh Rosen a pretty boy??  Have you seen his face? Josh Allen has a baby face and im sure alot more women find him more attract then Rosen.  And im sorry but Jim Kelly did not define Buffalo.  He refused to play here until we gave him the richest contract to date.  Its also well documented Jim Kelly was extremely arrogant and did not treat people well when he came to Buffalo.  Now he may have changed..he made his home here...and he truly loves Buffalo..but it didnt start out like that.  So lets just be fair pal.

Edited by Skins Malone
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll say this. 

I never like Rosen.  Don't think his ceiling is very high at all and he doesn't fit what we are trying to do at all.  Why would they take him?  Honestly though, why did people think he fit in Buffalo?  It is not certain Rosen will get the job done.  Just because he was from a big school and played fairly well doesn't mean he will be any good.  He had talent all around him and what did they win?  Everybody craps on Allen for playing on a nobody team but how is Rosen any better?  They were an average team with him.  Allen was Wyoming.  

Rosen would have been a square peg trying to fit into a round hole in Buffalo. 

15 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Your calling Josh Rosen a pretty boy??  Have you seen his face? Josh Allen has a baby face and im sure alot more women find him more attract then Rosen.  And im sorry but Jim Kelly did not define Buffalo.  He refused to play here until we gave him the richest contract to date.  Its also well documented Jim Kelly was extremely arrogant and did not treat people well when he came to Buffalo.  Now he may have changed..he made his home here...and he truly loves Buffalo..but it didnt start out like that.  So lets just be fair pal.

Fair enough but Rosen is not like Kelly in many ways.  Pretty boy in how he acts not what he looks like...yes Kelly was like that to start but he became Kelly we love today.  Allen is already that type of guy.  He doesn't need to change.  Rosen reminds me of Leaf a bit.  Can't wait to see if he starts screaming at a reporter.  Unless he does a 180, I am not a Rosen fan at all.  

8 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I never like Rosen.  Don't think his ceiling is very high at all and he doesn't fit what we are trying to do at all.  Why would they take him?  Honestly though, why did people think he fit in Buffalo?  It is not certain Rosen will get the job done.  Just because he was from a big school and played fairly well doesn't mean he will be any good.  He had talent all around him and what did they win?  Everybody craps on Allen for playing on a nobody team but how is Rosen any better?  They were an average team with him.  Allen was Wyoming.  

Rosen would have been a square peg trying to fit into a round hole in Buffalo. 

Fair enough but Rosen is not like Kelly in many ways.  Pretty boy in how he acts not what he looks like...yes Kelly was like that to start but he became Kelly we love today.  Allen is already that type of guy.  He doesn't need to change.  Rosen reminds me of Leaf a bit.  Can't wait to see if he starts screaming at a reporter.  Unless he does a 180, I am not a Rosen fan at all.  

Agree and that was my point...people can change.  Now im not a Rosen fan at all but im sure people were livid when Jim didnt come here and look how it turned out.  He was best we ever had.  Just saying you never know how these guys will turn out.  I wanted Allen over Rosen..i could be wrong..but i like Allen.  Just something about him.  And i agree with your assessment of him.

Edited by Skins Malone
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Agree and that was my point...people can change.  Now im not a Rosen fan at all but im sure people were livid when Jim didnt come here and look how it turned out.  He was best we ever had.  Just saying you never know how these guys will turn out.  I wanted Allen over Rosen..i could be wrong..but i like Allen.  Just something about him.  And i agree with your assessment of him.

I like Allen too.  I think he just needs to play with better talent.  He was trying to do way too much and his numbers got out of wack because of it.  I think he will be just fine in the NFL.  If he had been on USC or any of the big schools, he'd be a number 1 pick without question.