RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

On 4/27/2018 at 2:01 AM, MJS said:

Sounds like you just drank the Kool aid for all of the past Bills QB's.

I was an Allen detractor as well, but he's the guy, now. Have to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has an elite style body and skills. I just hope he can learn the finer things like touch, accuracy, and decision making.

I must say I was impressed by his high wonderlic score and some of his other off-season work.

Same here.  I’m starting to love this draft.  Coaching will now be the key with Allen.  

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

3 rounds, 3 Top 50 players. Rough start.

So we got...

The 7th best at pick...7.  Ok.

The 4th best at pick...16!  Wow!

The 44th best at pick...96!  Wow!

And people still B word about how badly we botched this draft and gave up too much.  Got exactly who we wanted at good value, rather than "plug holes" with mediocre players that could also be picked up in FA.

Every interview with Rosen pisses me off. The way he carries himself, the me-centered bravado... he's gonna be a target for some big hits. It's almost as if he's begging for the beat down. I hate the Rosens of the world. I'll tell you this, he should shut up and play ball... bean poles shouldn't make themselves targets more than the job requires. 

Someones gonna snap into a slim Josh.... Oooooh Yeaahhh!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This draft has been fantastic imo.  I liked and like all three players.  Could not find a better understudy for Kyle Williams.  Harrison Phillips is not the 96th best player in this draft.  He is not.  100 plus tackles his senior year is crazy.  He dominated USC this past year.  Not the most explosive athlete but the leverage he plays with is the best in the draft for interior lineman.  In Nebraska a 4 time national championship Wrestler can not be understated.  In short order he will be the Bills best interior lineman.  

Edited by Mat68

Allen is the guy we needed.  I really wanted him or Darnold for months.  Browns take Baker - and I am like, er, okay.  C'mon Beane, get 'er done with Giants!  They take Barkley.  Well, okay, I can see that.  Praying Jets take Rosen - but they take Darnold!  Oh no, now only the guy I want most is left.  Very, very nervous.  C'mon Beane, get 'er done with Browns at 4 - ALLEN.  No Trade - OH NO!  DOOMED!  Stupid Browns take a DB.  THANK GOD!  I am now in full sweat.  Denver needs a QB.  PLEASE take the CHUBB MAN!  PLEASE, please, one time.  They do!  And I think we are done now, gotta trade with the Colts, right?  But the pick is in!  We know it is not a QB.  BEANE!  FOR THE LOVE OF GOODNESS, HE IS SITTING RIGHT THERE!  Don't get greedy!  I get a text saying we traded with Tampa, but TV has not said it yet. PLEASE.  Then trade is announced.  And I am all like, JUST NOT ROSEN!  Allen, Allen, Allen!  Screaming at the TV.  And they did it.  Can't believe it.  And Edmunds and Harrison?  OMG!

• Haha (+1) 1

In 15 less college games than Carson Wentz, Allen threw for 49 less yards and 1 less Td in the same system with the same coach.  With better talent around him in 2016 Allen had a better passer rating than Rosen.  Allen is going to be very good.  Lets move on from the false narrative that he was reach and not good.  That is all wrong.  90% of all the information leading up to the draft had Allen ranked above Mayfield and above Rosen.  More places had Allen ranked 1 than 4.   

Edited by Mat68
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

Every interview with Rosen pisses me off. The way he carries himself, the me-centered bravado... he's gonna be a target for some big hits. It's almost as if he's begging for the beat down. I hate the Rosens of the world. I'll tell you this, he should shut up and play ball... bean poles shouldn't make themselves targets more than the job requires. 

Someones gonna snap into a slim Josh.... Oooooh Yeaahhh!

You get too wrapped up in a personality horse race. Relax. Someday your QB needs to step on the field and play football. Rosen at this point is miles ahead in that dept.

Was just watching his Senior Bowl highlights, the guy might be labeled inaccurate, but he sure dropped some dimes in that game (and showed his athleticism)

It'll be exciting to see what this kid can do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ros

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

You get too wrapped up in a personality horse race. Relax. Someday your QB needs to step on the field and play football. Rosen at this point is miles ahead in that dept.

This is a totally false narrative.  In a pressured situation Allen can complete passes off-platform like no other QB in the draft (the 65 yard toss show in one of the clips proves it.  Ironically he should have stepped up and NOT thrown that off platform because he didn't have to.  But it proved the ability).  Rosen is a punk, and Allen is well ahead of him right now.  With the bullets flying Allen would outplay him - see the senior bowl tape.

• Like (+1) 1

Out of the quarterbacks selected Allen is the one who fits this organization and who will want and stay in buffalo for years to come he is the only one who that has the tool chest to compete year in year out for Superbowl I know he is not polished yet but if competing for Superbowl is the objective he was the best option 

I forgot how outstanding that Senior bowl tape is.  The runs at the beginning - Rosen can't ever do that.  The stick to Gallup - that was decent coverage, and Allen had the arm strength to negate the CB.  The off-platform sidearm sling - he can do that.  And the touch on the pass to Conklin is a thing of beauty.

• Like (+1) 3

Had seen the testing video discussed in the Eisen clip, but had not seen that actual follow-up interview before.  How can you not get excited when they say "his .38 second release time is like Aaron Rogers only with much better arm strength", and then go on to say he is very accurate.  How can you not be excited when Dilfer says "I went in skeptical . . . but when you see Allen move and throw it feels like the greatest guys I played with, it feels like Farve and Elway."  That to me is just incredible.  Thanks for posting.

9 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Had seen the testing video discussed in the Eisen clip, but had not seen that actual follow-up interview before.  How can you not get excited when they say "his .38 second release time is like Aaron Rogers only with much better arm strength", and then go on to say he is very accurate.  How can you not be excited when Dilfer says "I went in skeptical . . . but when you see Allen move and throw it feels like the greatest guys I played with, it feels like Farve and Elway."  That to me is just incredible.  Thanks for posting.

I believe it was Alfred Pennyworth that put it so well, "Some men just want to watch the world burn". :beer:

The Bills weighted measurables and situational conditions more than in-game performance with this choice.  The Bills drafted the biggest bodied, best armed, second most nimble (to Mayfield) of the top 4.  The Bills have the potential of playing 10 games a year in windy and inclement northeastern weather (8 Home, NYJ and NE)  and usually end up playing at least 2 and up to 4 in conditions where wind, rain, sleet, snow are a factor. They drafted the most experienced bad weather QB.

Is Josh Allen raw -- yes. 

Has he made bad in-game reads and decisions--yes.  (Plus he was a numbskull tweeter when he was in HS)

Is his footwork some of the worst I have seen - yes. 

Is footwork tied to accuracy -- its probably the most important factor. 

If he can't improve his footwork will he fail - yes...

Has he shown improvement in footwork through the draft process - yes

Should the Bills contract with Jordan Palmer to continue to work with him - yes..because between Culley and Daboll the Bills really don't have a QB mechanics guy on staff.

Am I confident Josh Allen can be our franchise guy-- no I am not but I wasn't confident about Mayfield (mental instability); Darnold (Turnover machine/bad decisions); or Rosen (Fragility and overconfidence). 

Bills had to get a QB--so why not go with the guy who has the physical attributes you cannot teach.  Now McDermott -- tell your "O" staff to swallow some pride and bring in help.

Even if it doesn't work -- I for one will not crucify Beane and McDermott.  They are the first in 20 years to give this a real try.

Edited by JoeF