RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Hard to imagine him being anything more than the 3rd string QB this year. 

He needs to sit on the bench for a couple years. 

He needs to be the #2, there just isn't enough reps for him to be the #3 and develop.

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

He needs to be the #2, there just isn't enough reps for him to be the #3 and develop.

The #2 guy doesn't get any reps either.

As 3rd string he'd probably get to run the scout team which would be good for him. 

Just now, Bandito said:

Allen is a solid fit in Buffalo and the community. Mayfield would have been too. Rosen is a punk and is a cancer in the locker room.

When it looked like the Bills were getting Rosen... while I admit I wanted him, I was picturing him with this community and fan base.  I dont think his personality would mix here and it would get ugly.  I think Arizona was the perfect landing spot for him

Well, not gonna lie, he wasn't the Josh I wanted when I saw they traded up but it is what it is. We'll see how it works out, and I'll support the guy as I would any other QB of our Buffalo Bills.

The fact that we didn't give up the farm to move up to get him at least helped me sleep last night. That, and all the scotch.

I won’t create a thread for this but here is my thought on Allen.  I was livid when we took him ahead of Rosen (who I wanted regardless of where we picked).  I’ve had a chance to calm down some, and I still don’t like it.  Sure, he has potential, and he will make throws that wow us all.  For that, there will be exciting times.  Heck, in the grand scheme of things, football is just entertainment anyways.  And Allen will almost certainly be entertaining.

However, since I watch football for more than entertainment reasons, I have an unhealthy desire to see Buffalo win.  Maybe Allen is the one to do that.  But the flaws are there.  And this is what I don’t understand about this pick, and our entire offseason.

When the trade happened, I was so convinced it would be Rosen for one reason and one reason only.  We got rid of Taylor because we (Beane) felt he couldn’t make all of the throws needed to be made.  He lacked anticipation.  He missed receivers.  They had to be wide open for him to pull the trigger.  Isn’t Rosen the opposite of that?  He has great anticipation and accuracy.  Flawless throwing mechanics.  Perhaps pro ready.  To me, I was stunned that they were willing to get rid of a known commodity in Taylor because of limitations, just to take an unknown commodity with limitations.  

Allen has was more potential than Taylor, and that will be the major argument here.  But I just felt Rosen was more of who they desired, someone who anticipated receivers, could work the middle of the field, and move the chains.  Essentially, safe football (like NE).  To me, Allen is the opposite and I’m shocked they got rid of the safe guy for a guy who may end up worse.   

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The #2 guy doesn't get any reps either.

As 3rd string he'd probably get to run the scout team which would be good for him. 

He'd get more reps as the #2 through camp/preseason. Which is what he needs. I just can't stand the #7 overall pick as the 3rd QB.

Anyone who thinks we could have sat at 12 and gotten our QB is kidding themselves. The trade up was preordained it was just a matter of how much and for who. I love that they had a choice of 2 guys and we know for sure who they preferred as opposed to taking the last guy left. 

The tweets are a non issue but will be made one by the media. He's handled it well so far and sounds very mature. Every single one of us said stupid crap when we were 15. thank God we didn't have social media to record it. 

One of the top QBs, top LBs and not giving up any of next year's draft picks is a great start.

RTB

24 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Hard to imagine him being anything more than the 3rd string QB this year. 

He needs to sit on the bench for a couple years. 

Peterman was a 5th round shot-in-the-dark and started a game last year.

Allen is definitely #2 right now, and will be battling for the #1 spot. Sitting the bench for a couple years isnt happening. Kid is playing this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Peterman was a 5th round shot-in-the-dark and started a game last year.

Allen is definitely #2 right now, and will be battling for the #1 spot. Sitting the bench for a couple years isnt happening. Kid is playing this year.

I hope not.

He's not ready. Not even close. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Rosen is a silver spoon fed punk that would have been a cancer in our locker room. He has past riddled with injuries too. I was hoping for Mayfield. I am glad the Bills got 1 of the two they wanted (I believe if Mayfield was there at 4, they would have snatched him up)

Josh Allen has broken his collarbone twice, has five screws in it and missed games due to a shoulder injury.

Feel for Josh Allen tbh because he's in one of the worst positions to be in. We don't have any stellar offensive minds here in Buffalo, OL is a mess, worst skill positions in the league and no decent veteran presence ahead of him. He's a year away from being a year away but he's probably going to play this year and I just don't see how that helps him.

Also Daboll's system requires a QB who can make quick decisions and Josh Allen has slow eyes/processing.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I don't think we'll be good this year. But I think they're setting up for a solid future.  

Agreed. Regardless of which QB we got, I always wanted to hold onto next year's 1st because I think we're going 6-10 at best this year. That has nothing to do with Allen or Rosen or any other QB though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

How many workouts did you attend? How did you get Allen to come to your house for you to scout?

These responses from super fans are getting tiring. We just spent a year watching all of his games. No one is actively rooting for this kid to fail especially now he's a Bill.

Just now, FeelingOnYouboty said:

These responses from super fans are getting tiring. We just spent a year watching all of his games. No one is actively rooting for this kid to fail especially now he's a Bill.

I'm not a super fan, I've already said he wasnt my pick either. But you arent a pro talent evaluator, and neither am I. Nor do we have access to the info the pros have.

If all you're basing these absolute-as-fact statements on is watching some games, I take your analysis with a huge grain of salt. You're welcome to your opinion, but remember it's nothing more than that.