RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

Allen has a great throwing motion.  Palmer says the base is fixed and that accounted for a lot of the accuracy issues.  He has overcome long odds and is a worker.  I think he will be great.

The other criticism I have heard regarding accuracy is that he throws everything hard and does not drop it in over levels of the defense.  Like MajBobby, I believe that kind of touch can be bought.  His throwing motion is awesome.  See the video on his release - .28 seconds.  Comparable to Brady's.  And while people are poo-pooing the big arm, it matters.  Hand speed of 73.9 miles per hour.  Sick.

Taught, not bought.  Auto-correct.

Amazing how many experts we have here who KNOW Allen is a bust. Likely the same crowd that will tell you they knew Brady was a steal in the 6th that draft day. 

This is the rebirth of an old trend. Its called QB developement. Allen will sit the year. Hell start in 2019. Well see how it plays out. Big test for the Bills coaching staff. I predict well be just fine. 

16 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I want to die.

Take gun. Insert in mouth. Pull trigger.

Edited by THEHARDTRUTH

28 minutes ago, MJS said:

Sounds like you just drank the Kool aid for all of the past Bills QB's.

I was an Allen detractor as well, but he's the guy, now. Have to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has an elite style body and skills. I just hope he can learn the finer things like touch, accuracy, and decision making.

I must say I was impressed by his high wonderlic score and some of his other off-season work.

Apparently his recall is fantastic and he was excellent at the whiteboard with NFL teams

damnit!!!

damnit!!!

damnit!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I'm wrong a lot too... So I do have hope in that.

I will say if he turns out to be good, and the tweets in his history, I don't like that. I know he was 15, but I just don't want my team to be associated with that. I think Buffalo is quicker than most cities to over look tha, but I just don't like the fact my QB was dropping N bombs on twitter, don't care his age now or then, he did it. You know you don't use that word. He's an embarrassment to be completely honest. 

I learned at 6 not to use that word, so all this he was 14/15. youth stuff is just bs. Everyone knows at that age you can't say that ****. It's embarrassing, but I'm not surprised Beane and McDermott would look the other way. 

1 hour ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Seems like all his throws were to receivers 20 yards down field with zero separation.  He was counted on to carry the show.

Two of his receivers were sophomores and the rest freshman. I'm not saying he's the next Joe Montana, but I'm more than intrigued to see what he can do with a supporting cast and superior coaching. Wyoming is a freaking mess.

Edited by Golden Goat

People are so upset about the Josh Allen pick like they know with certainty that he will fail, as if they have a time machine and have already seen his entire career play out.  This board is bordering on hysterics.

Kurt Warner didn’t even get drafted and he’s in the Hall.  Ryan Leaf #2 overall and was an epic fail.  Tom Brady, sixth rounder, GOAT.  Sam Bradford, #1 pick, highest paid player in NFL history, no rings, and at the end of the day a professional journeyman QB.

But we're all supposed to believe that Allen is going to fail and there is no doubt about it.  The pick is a disaster. He has no chance to be successful. Zero. Fit Josh Rosen for his gold jacket right now. Josh Allen will be selling life insurance in Tonawanda in five years.

I’d appreciate if one of you people here who can see the future so clearly on this NFL fan message board would send me a private message, I’ve got some money to invest and I want to retire early.

Of course, it makes you wonder why they even come to this message board or bothered watching the draft.  With their Nostrodamus like abilities they already knew we were going to pick Josh Allen tonight....

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 3

I love the fanhood TBF, time to get onboard with all of Allen’s positives!

Let’s start with who Josh is as a person:

1. Josh grew up in tiny, 5A Firebaugh, CA. The son of a farmer, he spent as much time as he could playing football, basketball and baseball, and when he wasn’t busy, he helped his father in the farm. Playing all those sports, Josh immediately was a leader of his peers.

2. He spent his formative years rooting for Fresno State and the Carr family. He did everything he could to finagle ways to speak with the Fresno coaching staff who eventually told him that they had there 6foot QB of the future and that he could walk on as a TE.

3. Josh believed he was a QB and decided to go the JUCO route to get more tape. With that he sent that tape over 1000 times. And only got two interested schools. Wyoming was the only one to offer him a scholarship.

4. While at Wyoming, he was a complimentary piece in 2016 on a team full of seniors - 4 of which would be drafted. In 2017, he became the unquestioned leader of the team with an inexperienced center, a running back converted in the offseason from linebacker and non-productive freshman and sophomore receivers. Josh was given the responsibility to lead, to call protections, and make decisions for his team. More responsibility was placed on him than any other QB in this draft as far as expectations and carrying other, less talented players goes. And you could often see him fired up on the sideline, getting into people’s faces with excitement. His teammates followed him because of his passion.

5. Once Josh declared, he worked hard during the offseason to improve himself. Similar to what Cam Newton did in the lead up to 2011, Allen took every opportunity possible - senior bowl, combine, pro day, etc - to diaplay the work he was doing biomechanically. The high point of his predraft season came during the combine where he was able to display improved footwork and showed how he can mesh that with his intense arm strength. Reports out of the week described him as the alpha QB of the group (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-combine-2018-josh-allen-shows-why-hes-worthy-of-being-the-no-1-overall-pick/amp/).

Football reasons to be excited:

1. His completion percentage is what it is. He needs to improve it regardless of the offense or talent around him. If you watch his games, he does occasionally spray the ball. But what I have seen is that he was the victim of some drops, of many situations where the throws he was trying to make weren’t there because his teammates got run toward the sideline or didn’t get separation, and many other times where pressure forced him to roll out and get rid of the ball or make bad throws.

2. Allen was the most frequently pressured of the major QBs. His numbers when being pressured were not good and a lot of that was because he had inexperienced receivers that did not give him much help when the play broke down. You will also see people like Dan Orlovsky blame Allen for not making the right protections and reads based on the pressure. Some of that is on Allen, but Wyoming staffers are quick to point out that there were times that Allen set the right protection and then an inexperienced lineman missed a block leaving free runners at Allen. It’s important to keep in mind that when we watch our YouTube games that we don’t know everything the coaches know.

3. His arm and athleticism. At Wyoming, Josh was there offense. His arm was their weapon. He stretched the field and opposing defenses vertically and horizontally unlike any other prospect this year. Their were many times where Allen was forced to take the play over himself with designed keepers, bootlegs, escaping pressure, dragging defenders that were trying to tackle him before unleashing his throw. 

How successful was he?:

1. Wyoming won 8 games in back to back seasons for the first time in 30 years. The same team the two years before he took over won 6 games.

2. This season, when Allen hurt his shoulder, Wyoming went 0-2 including a loss to the worst program in Division 1 this year, San Jose St. But Allen battled back from his injury to lead his game to a win in his bowl game and left the program on a win.

What now?:

1. This offseason was the first time in his life he had real, dedicated coaching around his footwork. Remember that Carson Wentz, who starred under Josh’s college coach, also entered the league with footwork problems. Like Carson, Josh will need to continue working on his feet and may not totally overcome inconsistencies for a year or two. But with how raw Allen is, that gives great hope that he will improve quickly like he appears to have already done.

2. Ideally, we let Allen sit a year and develop. Most likely he will take the Cam Newton (again who had a similar pre-draft process with a lot of concerns of how he threw the ball and the 1 read offense he was in) or Carson Wentz approach and start earlier and be better (though not perfect!) than we expected.  

Of all the QB prospects, Allen is my favorite person. And I think the type of person he is will allow him to harness his physical abilities to be the best QB of this draft. I’m very excited, and I hope this makes everyone else- including you- a little more pumped for our QB of the future.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

People are so upset about the Josh Allen pick like they know with certainty that he will fail, as if they have a time machine and have already seen his entire career play out.  This board is bordering on hysterics.

Kurt Warner didn’t even get drafted and he’s in the Hall.  Ryan Leaf #2 overall and was an epic fail.  Tom Brady, sixth rounder, GOAT.  Sam Bradford, #1 pick, highest paid player in NFL history, no rings, and at the end of the day a professional journeyman QB.

But we're all supposed to believe that Allen is going to fail and there is no doubt about it.  The pick is a disaster. He has no chance to be successful. Zero. Fit Josh Rosen for his gold jacket right now. Josh Allen will be selling life insurance in Tonawanda in five years.

I’d appreciate if one of you people here who can see the future so clearly on this NFL fan message board would send me a private message, I’ve got some money to invest and I want to retire early.

Of course, it makes you wonder why they even come to this message board or bothered watching the draft.  With their Nostrodamus like abilities they already knew we were going to pick Josh Allen tonight....

I'm OK with people not liking the pick, because that's a person's opinion and everyone is entitled to their own personal beliefs and I respect that BUT when people start talking like clairvoyant know-it-alls I want to scream. I love Allen, not like, love him but do I know he'll be great? No, and I won't state it or word it in such a way that implies that.

I don't see what the negativity does however, even if you are convinced deep down in your soul, what's the point of lamenting over it for the next 5 years??? And I don't think that's fair to Allen to start the guy out in your doghouse when he hasn't even thrown a single pass.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm wrong a lot too... So I do have hope in that.

I will say if he turns out to be good, and the tweets in his history, I don't like that. I know he was 15, but I just don't want my team to be associated with that. I think Buffalo is quicker than most cities to over look tha, but I just don't like the fact my QB was dropping N bombs on twitter, don't care his age now or then, he did it. You know you don't use that word. He's an embarrassment to be completely honest. 

I learned at 6 not to use that word, so all this he was 14/15. youth stuff is just bs. Everyone knows at that age you can't say that ****. It's embarrassing, but I'm not surprised Beane and McDermott would look the other way. 

I get it. I don't disagree, for the most part. But to me, intention is everything in respect to even those tweets, IMO. Based on the background of what he said and when he said it, I view it as a forgivable stupid mistake kids are making all too often nowadays because of the trap that Social Media is. Steven A talks about Allen calling him up at 2 AM last night to explain himself:

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seriously... and we've all established I have terrible taste in QBs. ...

nothing wrong with being wrong, as long as you are not fanatical about it. wait a minute... isn't that where the word fan is derived from? oh well anyhoo... i guesss the only question i have is, are you going to defend him to the ends of the Earth if he stinks? oh, oh yeah... did you finally removed that Tyrod Fathead from the ceiling yet or are you still in mourning?

just razzing ya a bit... ;)

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

I don't hate the pick. I'm just pissed we moved up to get a player that would have been there at 12. Miami will take Rosen at 11. We gave up 2 second round picks that could have turned into at least decent plug and play players that could contribute. 

You have no idea if he would of been there or not