I encourage everyone to GET ON BOARD the train

I was texting throughout the first round with my son last night. Both of us, on pins and needles,  leading up to the pick.  Number 4 ? Nope Number 5? Nope Number 6? Nope....wtf is going on? Ah, yes! on the clock here comes our preference-Josh Rosen. Nope. Josh Allen. My son reacted with an "I'm done with this." As I would likely have done at 27 myself! So now I'm thrust into a role I don't relish. Put the right spin on this-now! I was one of the many Rosen supporters on this board. I probably even feared taking Josh Allen, although he'd have been my fourth QB pick. My makeup is more cautious than Beane, I take fewer risks.  Josh Rosen and Rashaad Evans likely would help the Bills sooner and be more of the safe variety.  Instead he chose to go big, really big and tried for the long ball. A lot of people, even our very own Bandit have stated at length why Josh Allen is a terrific prospect. As a long time Bills fan I will be rooting for the success of both these guys, and I offer no qualifier just so I can be right at some point. My response to my son, "we gotta get on board", "we still have 22", "these guys believe they have the next Cam Newton/ Big Ben clone". One thing I know for sure, we don't know how it will turn out, but we certainly drafted a couple of very nice balls of clay to mold. I encourage all Bills fans to : GET ON BOARD!

Some random final thoughts:

1. It's likely going to be a rocky start. The comparisons to Josh Rosen are inevitable, and he likely gets off to not only a quicker but better start.

2.We have done little to nothing to help the offense this year so far,  including after yesterdays Round 1 picks. So far is the key here, what is McBeane going to do to help an anemic receiving core, one that lacks speed in particular? What about an O-Line that clearly has needs? Playmakers after Shady and Benjamin are a big time need!

3.Should we hire Jordan Palmer to stay on and continue to work with Josh Allen? I say keep him working with Josh some way, because it appears to be making progress by accounts.

4. McBeane showed a different MO last night than many have thought they would. They went for raw potential, arguably 2 of the top upside guys available. These are big, strong, fast, athletic dudes. They both would appear to need  not only experience, but technical work with quality coaching essential.

5. I'm not sure Nathan Peterman makes the team next season. Rumors last night that the Bills draft another QB late in the draft. Still remains to be seen if this proves true. Never the less, he is in for a dog fight at making the team, they will bring in UDFAs to compete.

Go Bills!

Edited by horned dogs
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Agree with points 1,2,4 & 5. If we really think Palmer can help then shoot I could come around on point 3 too. 

I'm very curious to see what we do to help our QBs going forward. We simply need to make some bold moves to add some guys that can help. It will take all the creativity in the world these guys can dream up to accomplish it. I fear we will be pretty bad on offense next year.

I love the pick.  They got the guy they wanted and kept their other #1 and didn't have to dip into next year's draft.  Allen has huge talent.  He'll get great coaching and if he's got it in him, he will become a star.  The linebacker is a bigger faster Shazier, and he's a terror.  

I'm in.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I love the pick.  They got the guy they wanted and kept their other #1 and didn't have to dip into next year's draft.  Allen has huge talent.  He'll get great coaching and if he's got it in him, he will become a star.  The linebacker is a bigger faster Shazier, and he's a terror.  

I'm in.

What great coach will be doing this “ Great coaching”?

Love the pick. People near to not be so short sighted. This is about the next 10+ years.... not 2018. Yes its a poor selection if only looking at next year. But if you look at their overall plan it is clear they are building up for 2019 and beyond. Brady and Pats will be done by then, we will have $90mill in cap next offseason and a full draft capital. We will have a bunch of young talent who will be entering their prime. It just makes sooo much sense. 

Josh Allen.... I fully support him and this selection. Everyone else should too

I live in Atlanta.  Have an old friend from Batavia I met long ago when we were both grad students at UCLA.  He calls me every year to talk about he Bills' first round pick(s) and was somewhat hoping for Rosen, particularly given the school connection.  Unlike our board, he was also happy to get Allen.  I like Allen, liked him second to Darnold for a while now.  So I was gratified at the selection and laughed out loud, imagining the reaction on here.  Folks need to support the player and the team.  If the pick makes you so mad you walk away, you're not much of a fan, imo.  If you want to vent and blow off steam for awhile, that's fine, but come back and root for these young men to excel.  I can't prove this, of course, but I called the trade up for Edmunds while I was chatting with my pal.  As HD pointed out, two picks that count on the ability of the coaching staff and the Process to develop high potential fellas.  I hope they are patient with Allen and allow him a Mahomes red shirt year if necessary.  Beane showed courage sticking to his convictions.  Good for him and I think really good for Buffalo.  

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 4

Good post. However, as to point 4, I think everything Beane has talked about since he arrived in Buffalo, regarding a franchise QB, fits Allen (for the most part): Big, strong, pocket passer with mobility, etc. I think he believes Cam Newton was a great selection for the Panthers (and I think most posters on this board would consider him a franchise QB) and I believe that is who he had in mind when he drafted Allen. Outside of Lamar Jackson, Allen might very well be the most athletic QB and has the arm to make every NFL throw. As to the accuracy issues, it is interesting that Newton has a career completion percentage of 58.5.

Time will tell. However, I have absolutely no problem getting on board with the pick!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I live in Atlanta.  Have an old friend from Batavia I met long ago when we were both grad students at UCLA.  He calls me every year to talk about he Bills' first round pick(s) and was somewhat hoping for Rosen, particularly given the school connection.  Unlike our board, he was also happy to get Allen.  I like Allen, liked him second to Darnold for a while now.  So I was gratified at the selection and laughed out loud, imagining the reaction on here.  Folks need to support the player and the team.  If the pick makes you so made you walk away, you're not much of a fan, imo.  If you want to vent and blow off steam for awhile, that's fine, but come back and root for these young men to excel.  I can't prove this, of course, but I called the trade up for Edmunds while I was chatting with my pal.  As HD pointed out, two picks that count on the ability of the coaching staff and the Process to develop high potential fellas.  I hope they are patient with Allen and allow him a Mahomes red shirt year if necessary.  Beane showed courage sticking to his convictions.  Good for him and I think really good for Buffalo.  

Mahomes got a red-shirt year sitting behind an established veteran NFL starter who had taken his team to playoffs 4 of the last 5 years.

The problem with the red-shirt in B'lo is who is that established veteran starter for us?  AJ McCarron may be a capable starter, but based upon his 5 NFL starts I would have to say he's ~= to Taylor in passing productivity and that was behind a good OL and throwing to AJ Green.  He lacks wheels.  If McCarron struggles, patience will be a challenge.

I'd feel better if I felt confident this was Beane sticking to his player judgement and not Pegula/Brandon weighing in and weighting the scales.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mahomes got a red-shirt year sitting behind an established veteran NFL starter who had taken his team to playoffs 4 of the last 5 years.

The problem with the red-shirt in B'lo is who is that established veteran starter for us?  AJ McCarron may be a capable starter, but based upon his 5 NFL starts I would have to say he's ~= to Taylor in passing productivity and that was behind a good OL and throwing to AJ Green.  He lacks wheels.  If McCarron struggles, patience will be a challenge.

I'd feel better if I felt confident this was Beane sticking to his player judgement and not Pegula/Brandon weighing in and weighting the scales.

I agree it's not the ideal situation to redshirt Allen.  They'll have to show more courage if McCarron struggles.  Better to struggle for a year and let Allen learn at the correct pace, if that's what is needed.  

Either Beane is a man of principle or not.  I think he chose Allen out of conviction.  If it was capitulating to folks without football acumen, we are in trouble.

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

16 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I agree it's not the ideal situation to redshirt Allen.  They'll have to show more courage if McCarron struggles.  Better to struggle for a year and let Allen learn at the correct pace, if that's what is needed.  

Either Beane is a man of principle or not.  I think he chose Allen out of conviction.  If it was capitulating to folks without football acumen, we are in trouble.

I would really like to see our QBs get a fair shake, so to speak, as far as helping them. The O-line and speed at WR, not to mention we could use another RB I think, all have to be priorities.It will be very tough given the picks we have left. Trades?  We shall see.

32 minutes ago, Acattack15 said:

Love the pick. People near to not be so short sighted. This is about the next 10+ years.... not 2018. Yes its a poor selection if only looking at next year. But if you look at their overall plan it is clear they are building up for 2019 and beyond. Brady and Pats will be done by then, we will have $90mill in cap next offseason and a full draft capital. We will have a bunch of young talent who will be entering their prime. It just makes sooo much sense. 

Josh Allen.... I fully support him and this selection. Everyone else should too

They definitely took a long range view, and people need to remember that this(rebuild) isn't all going to happen this season. The plan is going to see some bumps in the road and I hope people have some patience. A lot of people seem to enjoy being right more than being patient these days!

42 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Good post. I hope after about 24 hours, most Rosen supporters will begin to get on board with the new qb. It was a long draft process and fans dug in on their opinions. Give the kid a chance and keep an open mind. 

Yeah being right seem to be the most important thing these days. Patience is not in abundance. The fact the drought was ended is huge for the long term standing of McBeane. These guys have a much longer lease now.

• Like (+1) 1

Leading up to the draft I hated the thought of drafting Allen ... truth be told I slotted him AFTER Roudolph and even Lauletta ...... My worst nightmare was trading up in round one with Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold still undrafted, and picking Allen.

After we announced our pick (after I stopped crying) I've decided he now wears a Bills uni ... he's a likeable kid ... I trust the process ... The brain trust at One Bills drive chose him and not Rosen (and they know scouting way better than I) ...

Bottom line is he's my guy, I'm all in ... may the best QB win this completion and lead us to the playoffs.

GO BILLS 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, macaroni said:

Leading up to the draft I hated the thought of drafting Allen ... truth be told I slotted him AFTER Roudolph and even Lauletta ...... My worst nightmare was trading up in round one with Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold still undrafted, and picking Allen.

After we announced our pick (after I stopped crying) I've decided he now wears a Bills uni ... he's a likeable kid ... I trust the process ... The brain trust at One Bills drive chose him and not Rosen (and they know scouting way better than I) ...

Bottom line is he's my guy, I'm all in ... may the best QB win this completion and lead us to the playoffs.

GO BILLS 

Great Post! Now I want the Bills braintrust to continue to do things to help the offense especially!

• Like (+1) 1

I’m thrilled.  The Pats are shoring up their line for one more run with the old man - and then we take over the division with the heir to Kelly.

Can’t wait to see those 50 yards spirals cutting through the wind and snow.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

I’m thrilled.  The Pats are shoring up their line for one more run with the old man - and then we take over the division with the heir to Kelly.

Can’t wait to see those 50 yards spirals cutting through the wind and snow.

You mean the Jets take over the division.

• Sad 1