Allen Over Rosen Reminds Me of

8 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Where was he. Bills had no intention of drafting him. Bills traded up to get their QB. Now it’s time to 

see how it works out. Year one with this regime and they made the playoffs. That’s pretty good in my book. 

lol, they backed into the plyayoff's... If that is the criteria you're using to self-affirm the FO is good, you have a very weak foundation to your stance, and it's likely you will be disappointed by the real word results over the next 3 seasons.

49 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

At least Allen is used to playing behind a bad O-line with injured receivers in bad weather.

Unfortunately this is part of the evaluation.    Potentially awful pass blocking OL and arguably the worst receiving corps in the NFL.

And if I am a play-not-to-lose defensive coach with an uncomplimentary roster do I want to pick a QB who will be in the owner's ear about getting me canned for someone more willing to cater to his game?   Especially with a guy available who is a lot like the QB who was the league MVP the year I went to the SB as a DC?  

From Beane and McD's perspective it is basically self-interest that could also plausibly turn out for the best for the organization in the long run.

You don't have to like the pick........I think Rosen is CLEARLY the more likely prospect to succeed........but IMO you can't be all-in on McD and not at least understand the pick.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ

Allen wasn’t my guy. Rosen has been my guy since before the 2017 draft and he was there for the taking. That was a little deflating for me.

I am going to support Allen though. I want the Bills to win. I’ve seen people on here calling him EJ and Losman. I don’t see that. Some people had Allen as high as 1. Apparently the Jets coaches were interested at 3, the Cardinals had him as their top guy, etc... This isn’t a guy like EJ that was a 3rd round project that got pushed up because of a terrible QB class. This guy was considered to be in the top tier of a strong QB class. His upside is either WAY higher than EJ & Losman or his bust potential WAY lower. That’s why he was more highly thought of coming in.

The idea of a boom or bust guy scares me but the price wasn’t excessive. My fear was a big overpay on a dice roll. Preserving that pick and getting Edmunds took some of the sting off. It is similar to looking back in the EJ pick and saying “at least we ended up with Shady from our extra asset.”

Additionally, the Bills kept their 2019 draft picks. I don’t think that this team is going to be good this year and that’s okay with me as long as Allen turns into the guy. They can enter the 2019 season with a young, talented QB, potentially great LB, $100M in cap space and a top 10 pick in one of the best DL drafts ever. They have a chance to have be great. Again though, it hinges on Allen being the guy. I hope that they are right.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Unfortunately this is part of the evaluation.    Potentially awful pass blocking OL and arguably the worst receiving corps in the NFL.

And if I am a play-not-to-lose defensive coach with an uncomplimentary roster do I want to pick a QB who will be in the owner's ear about getting me canned for someone more willing to cater to my game?   Especially with a guy available who is a lot like the QB who was the league MVP the year I went to the SB as a DC?  

From Beane and McD's perspective it is basically self-interest that could also plausibly turn out for the best for the organization in the long run.

You don't have to like the pick........I think Rosen is CLEARLY the more likely prospect to succeed........but IMO you can't be all-in on McD and not at least understand the pick.  

Good post, but I must confess that I've come around to the idea that Rosen is in fact an a-hole (ironically, through all of the media he's done recently to prove he's not one plus his ridiculous comments last night). He may be great, but he may also be Cutler Mach II.

32 minutes ago, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

We would not have to go through the next 3 years of watching an inevitable trainwreck bust at the QB position, AGAIN, if Pegula knew how to hire a front office.  The "see how it works out" crowd is all we have been doing as a fan base for the last ~23 years.  No more of this crap please. 

The BIlls - and a lot of other folks - like Allen.  You clearly don't.  Can you honestly say Allen has 0% chance of becoming a franchise QB?  Would you be so arrogant to say in absolute certainty that all the professional personnel guys who like Allen are simply idiots and have no clue how to evaluate QBs?   But you do?

Allen's flaws and shortcomings are obvious to the world.  The Bills believe Allen can overcome them.  Brees, Brady and many others had to overcome flaws when they turned pro and succeeded.  Lots of other QBs don't overcome their college flaws.  Who really knows which camp Allen will fall into?

I think all the go-big-or-go-home guys should be happy because the Bills just swung hard on a guy who might end being a bust but could also turn out to be a star.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Allen wasn’t my guy. Rosen has been my guy since before the 2017 draft and he was there for the taking. That was a little deflating for me.

I am going to support Allen though. I want the Bills to win. I’ve seen people on here calling him EJ and Losman. I don’t see that. Some people had Allen as high as 1. Apparently the Jets coaches were interested at 3, the Cardinals had him as their top guy, etc... This isn’t a guy like EJ that was a 3rd round project that got pushed up because of a terrible QB class. This guy was considered to be in the top tier of a strong QB class. His upside is either WAY higher than EJ & Losman or his bust potential WAY lower. That’s why he was more highly thought of coming in.

The idea of a boom or bust guy scares me but the price wasn’t excessive. My fear was a big overpay on a dice roll. Preserving that pick and getting Edmunds took some of the sting off. It is similar to looking back in the EJ pick and saying “at least we ended up with Shady from our extra asset.”

Additionally, the Bills kept their 2019 draft picks. I don’t think that this team is going to be good this year and that’s okay with me as long as Allen turns into the guy. They can enter the 2019 season with a young, talented QB, potentially great LB, $100M in cap space and a top 10 pick in one of the best DL drafts ever. They have a chance to have be great. Again though, it hinges on Allen being the guy. I hope that they are right.

Strong opinions but always reasonable. You nailed this one. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Agree 100%. Last night I said this was a soul-crushing draft.  All the talent we gave up, all the picks we compiled, for this? I said it before, we gave up 5 premium picks in the first 3 Rounds and an opening day will have one linebacker to show for it and the second coming of EJ Manuel. I'm disgusted.

Same here dude. Im seriously thinking of catching more Browns games this year. We passed on Rosen for Allen. That is a firable offense. Its the end of this regime already and they dont even know it. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

when the Bills drafted Whitner over Ngata and Maybin over Orakpo.   The fans made the right call in those cases over the Bills' Front Office.  

Nut up. I'm ready to move forward with this kid, win lose or draw.

As predicted, lots of criticism of the pick this morning. Once again, the Bills front office is a laughing stock.

1 minute ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Yeah but Allen was actually projected by a ton of people to go 1st overall, maybin and Whitner were not 

So was Bortles, and he sucks.

What a terrible draft.  And here we go with the bs this team wasn’t going to be good this year anyways.  This draft seems to have the owners influence.  I guess when you frack your way to billions you might start to think you actually might know something about football. If you didn’t like TT you guys are gonna love the new frencheyes.  

1 hour ago, Gigs said:

And this is the mentality that made the Bills so damn good for the last 20 years

It’s even got racist tweets!

This crap annoys the hell out of me. A 15 year old quoting rap lyrics doesn't mean the same person, 5 years later, is a racist. The difference between 15 and 20 is huge.. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

when the Bills drafted Whitner over Ngata and Maybin over Orakpo.   The fans made the right call in those cases over the Bills' Front Office.  

It was not Orakpo. Modrak wanted Cushing he was overruled by Skeletor who wanted Maybin.

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

What a terrible draft.  And here we go with the bs this team wasn’t going to be good this year anyways.  This draft seems to have the owners influence.  I guess when you frack your way to billions you might start to think you actually might know something about football. If you didn’t like TT you guys are gonna love the new frencheyes.  

TT is the killer for me. Allen will not be an upgrade immediately, if ever. And we passed on 3 potential upgrades to aquire the capital to draft him. Rosen could have been there at 12, and it would have been the steal of the draft. Instead, we fall in love with a kid who looks the part, but can't play. Its classic nepotism.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Some one posted a funny video about the Bills picking Allen a few days before the draft. Little did they know that joke video turned into reality.

I probably won't be jumping into the debate. If Rosen is better then Allen at any time then Beane will get roasted. I'm sure he made that pick with that in mind. He staked his reputation on Allen.

1 minute ago, MURPHD6 said:

TT is the killer for me. Allen will not be an upgrade immediately, if ever. And we passed on 3 potential upgrades to aquire the capital to draft him. Rosen could have been there at 12, and it would have been the steal of the draft. Instead, we fall in love with a kid who looks the part, but can't play. Its classic nepotism.

Who's Allen related to?

1 minute ago, MURPHD6 said:

Exactly dude. Omg. Is it ok to have an opinion and not kiss the ass of our new QB?????   

Edited by nedboy7

8 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Some one posted a funny video about the Bills picking Allen a few days before the draft. Little did they know that joke video turned into reality.

I probably won't be jumping into the debate. If Rosen is better then Allen at any time then Beane will get roasted. I'm sure he made that pick with that in mind. He staked his reputation on Allen.

It's going to be rough initially because I'm sure Rosen is going to be playing this year very soon given Bradford's history.