Bills essentially traded a 1st, 2nd, Watkins and Glenn

Trading Glenn and his cap hit was a positive for an 8 game per season player

Watkins was a still is over rated, whined, always hurt, and never has become the star all thought he would be. A cancer. 

Addition by subtraction.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

They traded 2017 pick 10, 2018 pick 21, 2018 pick 53, a WR they weren’t going to sign, a LT who quit the moment he got paid and Tyrod

They got a potential franchise QB, a potential franchise MLB, what looks like a lock down CB and a mountain of cap space. 

boom

12 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

No. 

2018 21st overall and Glenn was traded for 2018 12th overall

2018 12th overall + 53rd overall (Natural) 56th overall (Watkins) was traded for 2018 7th overall

2018 7th overall was used to select Josh freaking Allen (I know he's amazing :w00t:)

So stop freaking exaggerating.

No one in their right mind would compare him to EJ. 

You do realize you just repeated exactly what the OP said, you just rephrased him, and  then said he was exaggerating.<_<

Just now, simpleman said:

You do realize you just repeated exactly what the OP said, you just rephrased him, and  then said he was exaggerating.<_<

No, we never traded a 1st. And yes, that is an important distinction when referring to a traded pick (2nd) right after.

20 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

No. 

2018 12th overall + 53rd overall (Natural) 56th overall (Watkins) was traded for 2018 7th overall

2018 7th overall was used to select Josh freaking Allen (I know he's amazing :w00t:)

How is your own statement stating we traded the 12th overall for the the 7th pick not a 1st round? Your logic is beyond reason.

1 hour ago, ******* said:

For josh freaking Allen 

Here's what I don't understand about how folks see this:

How can you say we traded a 1st, at least not without noting we received one?

Gave them a first, second, Watkins, and Glenn -> received a first

Therefore traded a second, Watkins and Glenn

No?

They did NOT "trade Watkins".

The trade of Watkins was FOR HIS USE DURING THE 2017 SEASON ONLY.

Watkins was a FA this season and is now on his third team.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Here's what I don't understand about how folks see this:

How can you say we traded a 1st, at least not without noting we received one?

Gave them a first, second, Watkins, and Glenn -> received a first

Therefore traded a second, Watkins and Glenn

No?

Yeah - some here are calling USING a draft pick to take a guy "trading a pick".  

15 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

No. 

You can look at it this way

2017: Draft pick 10 + Sammy Watkins = Tre White, EJ Gaines + 2018 (picks 21 + 56)

2018: Draft picks 12, 21, 53 and 56 + Cordy Glenn = pick 7

Net Result: Josh Allen + Tre White = pick 10 (2017), picks 12, 21, 53, 56, Cordy Glenn and Sammy Watkins

I know why they traded Glenn and Watkins, just pointing out the cost.  Never liked the Watkins pick but if you put his draft capital cost into the equation it gets even uglier.

4 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

You can look at it this way

2017: Draft pick 10 + Sammy Watkins = Tre White, EJ Gaines + 2018 (picks 21 + 56)

2018: Draft picks 12, 21, 53 and 56 + Cordy Glenn = pick 7

Net Result: Josh Allen + Tre White = pick 10 (2017), picks 12, 21, 53, 56, Cordy Glenn and Sammy Watkins

I know why they traded Glenn and Watkins, just pointing out the cost.  Never liked the Watkins pick but if you put his draft capital cost into the equation it gets even uglier.

No you keep last years KC trade separate. It was not involved in the Josh Allen pick at all nor was the 2018 1st round pick that we received from them.

Edited by What a Tuel

37 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Yep, spot on there, cracker jack.

Never once did i say he didnt know football..........i said he MAY or MAY NOT understand NFL football at this level at this point.

Some guys figure it out and some don't. For some rookie QB's, the game is too complicated and too fast and they can never quite get a handle on whats going.......hopefully Allen can put it all together and make a career out of it.

I think many are forgetting that at this moment AJ McCarron is the starting QB and hopefully this regime doesn't rush Allens development like Whaley and Co. did with EJ. Allen is a project with tremendous upside. Like Mahomes he will have the opportunity to sit, learn and develop. Hone his skills so when he does see action he's not overwhelmed.   

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Yep, the FO hitched their wagons to a project QB in the first round that may or may not be able to understand NFL football.

Just let that sink in.

56 minutes ago, finn said:

This has been said elsewhere and better, but to get it off my chest: How many "big-armed" busts have to be drafted on potential for "experts" to learn? Look no further than E.J. Manuel and J.P. Losman, for god's sake. We all know what comes next: "Give him time, he's still developing"; "It's the scheme, not him"; "he needs a better surrounding cast"; "it's the coordinator!" before finally, five years from now, "Maybe we can get a late-round pick for him from some sucker team."

No matter which QB they selected, you could have just as many negative comments posted this morning about, just all for different reasons. As Sean Peyton said a couple weeks back, there are no Andrew Lucks or Carson Wentz in this draft.  They were all flawed, so the Bills went with certain flaws over other ones.  Are there risks sure, but he also  may have the most upside of all of them.  I just listened to Sal Pal strongly question if Sam Darnold will work out, he has his doubts.  Meanwhile Mel Kiper had Allen rated as best QB, but CBS sports ranked him #56 overall. 

so no one knows including all the people here who think they know so much more than people who do this for a living.

People that understand football and what it takes to win think Allen was the top Qb.  Let that sink.  In a deep Qb class it was thought of Allen going 1.  He is the most talented Qb Buffalo has had since Kelly.  Today Allen has the best arm in the NFL.  The first practice after his first throw every player on the team will see this guy is different.  That is all good and excited stuff.  Dont let the hype/debate of the last 3 months jade your feelings on what just happened.  They have a potential franchise qb.  If he pans out Buffalo could have the next Farve.

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

No you keep last years KC trade separate. It was not involved in the Josh Allen pick at all nor was the 2018 1st round pick that we received from them.

You’re right No. 22 was KCs pick.  You still have to keep that KC trade part of the equation because it factors into the maneuvers they made and why.   You could expand it to show all of the capital that went into three guys.  If they hit home runs they are geniuses, but anything less is going to be painful, especially if any one of these guys turn out to be a franchise QB: Rosen, Jackson, Watson or Mahomes.  

Tre White + Tre Edmunds + Josh Allen, picks 154 + 255 = pick 10 (2017), picks 12, 21, 22, 53, 56, and 65, Cordy Glenn and Sammy Watkins

Edited by Ayjent

Good pick - and I was right - collectively all the haters heads have EXPLODED!

Take a deep breath, eat some chicken wings and drink a few beers - it will all be better soon - trust me, if not me - trust the process.  So far they been doing pretty good no?

Breath.....Ooommmmmmmmm.

12 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

People that understand football and what it takes to win think Allen was the top Qb.  Let that sink.  In a deep Qb class it was thought of Allen going 1.  He is the most talented Qb Buffalo has had since Kelly.  Today Allen has the best arm in the NFL.  The first practice after his first throw every player on the team will see this guy is different.  That is all good and excited stuff.  Dont let the hype/debate of the last 3 months jade your feelings on what just happened.  They have a potential franchise qb.  If he pans out Buffalo could have the next Farve.

Who had him first?  He was the third QB selected.  Yes it is highly debateable the Browns and Jets FO know what it takes to win, but the Bills are in that same area code.  In January he wasn’t even viewed as a 1st round pick by most draft “gurus”.  

I hope you are right, but I see him as a guy that rose significantly in the build up to the draft.  These guys that rise like this at QB rarely pan out.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1/26/16932920/josh-allen-wyoming-quarterback-hype-nfl-draft

Edited by Ayjent

They also traded away two hefty salaries that free up a lot of cap space going forward.

Plus, even if Watkins would have re-signed here, which is doubtful, I don't think the coaching staff would have valued him to the tune of $16m/yr.

And having found our LT in Dawkins, the price tag on Glenn was pretty steep for an oft injured RT.

All we know is that Beane and McDermott had Allen rated higher than Rosen. I agree with that assessment and hope Allen leads the Bills too many championships. Some people on this site need to get a grip.

1 hour ago, Ayjent said:

Who had him first?  He was the third QB selected.  Yes it is highly debateable the Browns and Jets FO know what it takes to win, but the Bills are in that same area code.  In January he wasn’t even viewed as a 1st round pick by most draft “gurus”.  

I hope you are right, but I see him as a guy that rose significantly in the build up to the draft.  These guys that rise like this at QB rarely pan out.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1/26/16932920/josh-allen-wyoming-quarterback-hype-nfl-draft

Kiper, McShay, Bleacher Report, 24/7, All had him 1,2,3, or 4.  Sure you can find a place that rates him poorly.  This was not a reach.  Many had him over Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes last year.  What your saying is not true.  After his first full season in FBS football he was a potential first rounder.