Josh Allen = Cam Newton?

It’s a comparison I’ve seen thrown around. I’ve also seen “mobile Joe Flacco”. Highest end could, possibly be Roethlisberger...

Getting back to the point, does that seem valid, the Newton comparison? 

To me its valid. He’s more raw, reminds me of Newton when he came to Auburn. The raw athleticism is there. The benefit is he has experience playing in a “pro-style” offense, under center. He might not be as mobile, but his arm might actually have more talent. So a less mobile stronger armed cam Newton?

Andif that’s what he becomes, I’ll be more than happy. 

I think that is what Beane is hoping they can turn him into. Cam has a 58% career completion percentage but more than makes up for it in his yards/attempt and running ability.

Getting big targets like Benjamin is the type of skillset Allen would seem to benefit from.

Not sure that he plays like Ben but he does have the size... He is a boom or BUST bean has big ones and he is swinging for the fences with this pick. High ceiling with that Arm. I'm getting more excited for this prospect.

People say his arm is unreal but he hasn't been surrounded by the best coaches or teammates.

Edited by BillsFan692

He's not the runner Cam is, so I think it's a hazy comparison.   Although it seems like McBeane sees it that way.

The thing with the Carolina offense is that it's dyametrically opposed to the the Erhard/Perkins-style Daboll was groomed in.   If they were going to go Newton-like, why bring in Daboll?

40 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think Peterman has as much a shot of becoming Brees as Allen does of becoming Newton. The more interesting question I think is: if he becomes as good as Cam Newton is that good enough?

My answer is no.

Cam won an MVP, takes his team to the playoffs regularly and has played in a superbowl. I get that we all want an Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady QB, but if we get a guy that can regularly give a shot at competing in the playoffs I will take it. 

1 minute ago, Jeetz1231 said:

Cam won an MVP, takes his team to the playoffs regularly and has played in a superbowl. I get that we all want an Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady QB, but if we get a guy that can regularly give a shot at competing in the playoffs I will take it. 

So why settle for the next Newton, when a better option might have been to get the next Rogers (ie, a guy who's actually won the damn thing)?    That will be the endless debate from here on out...

Just now, Lurker said:

So why settle for the next Newton, when a better option might have been to get the next Rogers (ie, a guy who's actually won the damn thing)?    That will be the endless debate from here on out...

I the point is that the Bills have more belief that Allen can become Newton than Rosen can become Rodgers/Brady. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I the point is that the Bills have more belief that Allen can become Newton than Rosen can become Rodgers/Brady. 

I agree with you on that.  But personally, I'd take 80% of Rogers vs. 95% of Newton any day.

It will define their careers here, for sure....

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I agree with you on that.  But personally, I'd take 80% of Rogers vs. 95% of Newton any day.

It will define their careers here, for sure....

Now here’s another weird thing. And maybe I’m just thinking about it because it’s late. Are people making the Rodgers/Rosen comparison so readily partially because the two guys do look quite a bit alike in the face, and are viewed as having similar personalities? Kind of the opposite of how some coaches/scouts in the past would rank a player lower on their boards because of their look (read Moneyball for the reference, it’s pretty amazing). 

Rodgers was viewed as a project when he was coming out, neither he nor Alex Smith were viewed as legit top picks. 

Also, Rodgers was able to sit for what, 3 years? I think that will be huge for all of these guys. Mayfield Rosen Darnold Jackson and Allen should all sit for at least most, of not all of the 2018 season. 

Edited by Dkollidas

Physically he is similar to Cam. He also does some similar things. He doesn't have Cam's ability to make plays. He doesn't have a feel for the game like Cam. 

I get the comparison though. I've made the same comparison. Problem is the things lacking in Allen's game that Cam has you really can't learn. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

57 minutes ago, Lurker said:

We will be very lucky to have that debate in the years to come.

We are far more likely to have drafted the next EJ Manuel than the next Newton or Rodgers.

Edited by Fadingpain