Would Allen have been there at 12?

I've seen too many "who cares" posts for my liking. I for one DO CARE the Bills gave up TWO 2nd round picks. Picks that had the potential to fill one of many holes - WR, OL, another LB, DL, RB. Those 2nd rounders are premium picks and the Bills caved into the Bucs demand. Would I have been upset if the two went towards drafting Rosen? Probably not as much, so the bias of not liking the player makes it sting that much more. I sincerely hope Allen defies every single metric and becomes a top echelon QB. Lord knows the Bills need a break. But then again, the Bills have had many opportunities to create their own breaks, but time and time again they piss them away... just like those two 2nd round picks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Miami may have taken him at 11. 

Allen seems too much like Tannehill too me.   I doubt they would have wanted to go down that road with the sequel...

Edited by Lurker

I'd say no. It was reported AZ was trying to move up for Allen. Rosen may have went to MIA. Regardless, it seems they may not have taken Rosen at 12 even if they had stayed put and he was there. There was something there they didn't like. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

No. Schefter reported that the Cardinals wanted him, and that had been reported by other draft analysts recently. I think they still would have traded up, but would have taken Allen at 10 instead of Rosen.

Now...would ROSEN have been available at 12? Very possibly.

I don't think Rosen would have made it past Miami.

1 hour ago, Tcali said:

getting cute and trying to get a big time steal from a draft probably would have ended in disaster. they did the right thing.

agreed. I think Miami thought Rosen fell into their lap and got leap frogged.

Throw the chart out the window when your talking about getting in the top 10 for a qb.  I had him as the 3rd best qb and we took the 3rd qb of the top 10.  Stop acting like this kid is a bum.  

Mayfield and Rudolph were the fools gold of qbs, and we avoided them.  

Edited by Estelle Getty
  • Like (+1) 1

Just glad they didn't take Rosen, even at 12. Love the two picks today choosing players who have the chance to become GREAT, over players who are good now but keep us at 8-8 each year. Loving the future of this team. I don't give one %$@# if Buffalo sucks this year, I trust the process.

3 hours ago, Buff76ers said:

what happens if he and Rosen are gone at 12? Now what? Then the bills would definitely be hurting. This way, they assured themselves a future QB. 

Mason Rudolph would have been better than Allen by September and likely his whole career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

I'm almost positive he would have been. Giving up all we did to move up 5 spots was quite dumb, a side from drafting Allen over Rosen...

You be one of the morons crying if they did wait and a team jumped in front of them.  You’d be posting on here how stupid Bean is.  

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

More importantly...WHO CARES.  They got the guy they wanted, and made the move to make sure it happened.

I mean what a bunch of hypocrites this board is full of.  Everyone was all about doing what ever we needed to go get our guy.  Now that people don't agree with who that guy was, the Bills are suddenly dumb for trading up.  People were pleading for Bills to trade 3 firsts and 2 seconds to go get Rosen at 2...a guy who lasted to the 10th pick and would have been a complete waste of picks had traded to 2 for a guy who lasted to 10.

Ridiculous.  

I created a thread months ago saying that whomever we drafted the “fans” on this board would hate the pick.   We turned 6 picks in first three rounds into 3 picks and got the LB they wanted and the QB they wanted.    We did not sell the farm as so many proposed 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Frankly, Arizona didn't lose their cool. By draft chart, they expended exactly the value of the 10th pick in the draft - right around 1300 points. One should probably assume that the Bucs were offered 1500 points or damned close to it by Zona - who no doubt were happy to take 1900 from Buffalo. 

Your statement implies that TB would have taken closer to face value from Arizona or that for some reason, without a competing bid from Buffalo, Arizona would have felt compelled to pay a premium when there were two choices at that time at QB. That doesn't make sense to me in the least.

And as I've suggested elsewhere, apparently the Dolphins were so shot in the a$$ with getting Rosen that when they got the call from Oakland, and all they had to do was offer a slight premium ... that they turned Oakland down. How likely is that? You'd have a hard time convincing someone that they ever really wanted a QB. Maybe draft analysts wanted them to want Rosen. But the minute Oakland passed on Minkah Fitzgerald, Rosen became an injured QB and Allen an inaccurate one. 

Yes because at that point there was only 1 team bidding - so they were not competing against another team.

What we do not yet know is how teams had them rated, but the Cards did not have a ton of ammo - so if the Bills felt Allen was the guy and had him rated significantly higher than Rosen- great go get him.  It sounds like the cards had Allen rated higher also and tried, but maybe had them closer.

If we don’t trade up - you have TB sitting there to take another defensive player - a likely scenario is taking either Smith or Fitzpatrick - with Chicago taking the other - so the question is Miami sat still because they had a choice of Rosen or Fitzpatrick going to them because of the trade ups.  Everything changes if the Bills decide to stay put - they may get Rosen or they may get shut out and based upon how they acted Rosen was not their pick - so either would have been bad.

Look - I am on record as saying Allen was not the QB I wanted - I love watching Rosen play, but these guys look at so much more and if they think Allen is who they want based on talent and personality- then I would rather they get him and go all in than taking someone they are less happy with.

I would much prefer they get their guy than not get a QB - the potential was there that if they wait they lose out and therefore they went up to get their guy.

6 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

I'm almost positive he would have been. Giving up all we did to move up 5 spots was quite dumb, a side from drafting Allen over Rosen...

Allen would have went to the Cardinals at 10 and rosen to the dolphins at 11--- we would have been stuck with mason rudolph

6 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

Throw the chart out the window when your talking about getting in the top 10 for a qb.  I had him as the 3rd best qb and we took the 3rd qb of the top 10.  Stop acting like this kid is a bum.  

Mayfield and Rudolph were the fools gold of qbs, and we avoided them.  

Really???

Arizona paid EXACTLY the value chart to get to ... NUMBER 10 TO TAKE A QB. 

Stop being an apologist for a novice GM that got taken. 

Nobody knows if Allen would have been there at 12.    Beane paid a stiff price to move up to 7 to get his guy, and as one of the talking heads statted yesterday morning when talking about moving up to draft a QB...

If the QB ends up being successful, everyone forgets what you gave up to select him.  If the QB fails, the GM probably loses his job.