How long do you give Allen?

Bakin

55 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

great. so on top of having the worst mechanics and accuracy out of all his peers drafted in the 1st round, he will be a whole year behind in terms of experience from most of them. 

Mayfield/Rosen/Darnold are all day 1 starters. Peterman will outplay Allen in camp. 

That's not true at all. Mayfield will sit behind Tyrod. Rosen will sit behind Bradford (until he gets hurt). Not sure if Darnold will sit or not.

Fwiw , Goff started in week 9 of his rookie year. I dont think we'll have a real great idea until well into year 2. I'll predict Allen starts the second half of 2018 if the record dictates it. That means 2-3 wins by mid season . At that point, why wait? Overall, the Bills will give him through year 3 before deciding if a change needs to be made. Most fans here will give him untll his 7th or 8 th start before declaring him a bust. 

4 hours ago, Bakin said:

Bills fans don’t have any patience for QB development. 

And while I’m somewhat indifferent about the selection of Allen - clearly he’s a good kid, prototypical size, rocket arm, loads of potential - my fear is that our fans will give him 8 games and then set his house on fire if he doesn’t look like the 2nd coming of Elway. 

How many Bills fans would have been ok with Goff starting year 2 - he would have been written off as a bust by 90% of us. 

So my question to you is - assuming JA starts 2018 - how long do you give Him?  6 games?  3 years?  

How long can you, as a fan, hold off from the bust or boom label for our potential franchise QB?

Bills fans don't have any patience? They'd better get some.

He should get however much he needs. And no, 90% would not have written off Goff, that's nonsense. Yeah, a mouthy 20% maybe but most Bills fans are actually pretty sensible and aware. You hope he's ready in a year, but if he needs more you deal with it, be patient and deal with the frustration of the fans. That's for starting.

The bust thing has the same answer for everyone. Nobody is a bust in less than 3 three years to smart fans ... nobody ... unless they're out of the league. And some need even more. Eli Manning's light didn't come on till the last few games of his 4th year.

3 hours ago, RFL said:

AJM could be the next Jimmy G.......lets see what he’s got.  Beane signed him pretty cheap compared to most, he might look like a genius when all is said and done.

In the interest of trying to find something positive about our QB situation, let me just point out that there have been a few scouts/draft expert types to suggest that, had he been in this year's draft, AJM would have been the odds-on #1 draft prospect.

I.E., pretend AJ finished his college career last season and came out in this draft with Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, etc...

He would be the guy taken first.  And we have him!  Plus, we don't really know what he can do at the NFL level.

If he turns into something special, who cares about the Allen pick anyway!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

As long as Allen improves, he gets time.  He's got some real issues in his game, and will need to show improvement to become the starter.  If he doesn't show improvement, he's going to be a bust. Accuracy issues start with mechanics, and mechanics are not easy to fix. 

The difficult thing is that McCarron isn't a fully-developed starter either.  He's going to need significant coaching to give the Bills a chance to win each week.  The coaching staff won't have enough reps during the season to fix Allen's mechanics and get McCarron ready for the games during the week.

I am agnostic on the Allen pick, I have no idea if he is going to be any good or not.  I do think you have a valid point about the support system for QBs in Buffalo.  I would feel better about having a developmental QB prospect if we had anyone on the Bill's coaching staff who had successfully helped develop a QB before.  I hope Terry, Kim, and McBeane address this situation ASAP.

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Fwiw , Goff started in week 9 of his rookie year. I dont think we'll have a real great idea until well into year 2. I'll predict Allen starts the second half of 2018 if the record dictates it. That means 2-3 wins by mid season . At that point, why wait? Overall, the Bills will give him through year 3 before deciding if a change needs to be made. Most fans here will give him untll his 7th or 8 th start before declaring him a bust. 

I think one reason to wait until a full year has transpired before putting Allen in is that I think next year's roster should be a lot more stocked with talent to support him. They will have a full compliment of picks, likely near the top of the draft, and over $100MM in cap space to put some studs on the O-line in front of him and some talented WRs out there to catch the ball.

We are in a rebuild, don't doubt it.  We were fortunate to get in the playoffs last year and it was great that we did, but I expect our record to take a step or two backwards this year.  It is just as important to put a young QB in a position to succeed as it is to draft the right QB.  In a year I think we will have a roster to help Allen succeed, not a roster that he will be expected to carry. 

5 hours ago, Bakin said:

Bills fans don’t have any patience for QB development. 

And while I’m somewhat indifferent about the selection of Allen - clearly he’s a good kid, prototypical size, rocket arm, loads of potential - my fear is that our fans will give him 8 games and then set his house on fire if he doesn’t look like the 2nd coming of Elway. 

How many Bills fans would have been ok with Goff starting year 2 - he would have been written off as a bust by 90% of us. 

So my question to you is - assuming JA starts 2018 - how long do you give Him?  6 games?  3 years?  

How long can you, as a fan, hold off from the bust or boom label for our potential franchise QB?

The “fans” already label him a bust they will give him one quarter at best.  Until they build a team around him I will give him time.  

How many people were still claiming they honestly believed TT hadn’t reached his ceiling well into this season ????

Hint:  TOO freaking many!!!

While I’m completely underwhelmed by this pick I’m a Bills fan and I’m going to ride this train and see where it leads.

For all the examples of crappy QBs we have picked there are plenty out there that surprised teams with their play after a few years of sucking.

He’s not Brees , Warner, Dilfer, Flacco, Hostedler, Doug Williams......but he might be better than some of them and IF(!!!) a team with a good D and running game is built around him he might actually win 1 SB. 

In my book that would make him a success.

8 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

I don't care what draft people say, neither of you could possibly know this. Simmer down. Let the kid prove himself. 

It's not a case of needing to simmer down, as you put it. It's a fact that is obvious from the press conference. Beane and McDermott acknowledge Allen is raw and needs to learn. They are perfectly fine with AJ McCarron starting the entire season so there is no need to pull an EJ and start him before he ready. 2018 is going to be Allen's redshirt NFL year.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

In the interest of trying to find something positive about our QB situation, let me just point out that there have been a few scouts/draft expert types to suggest that, had he been in this year's draft, AJM would have been the odds-on #1 draft prospect.

I.E., pretend AJ finished his college career last season and came out in this draft with Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, etc...

He would be the guy taken first.  And we have him!  Plus, we don't really know what he can do at the NFL level.

If he turns into something special, who cares about the Allen pick anyway!

Agree totally. AJ has already been groomed, did his learning as a backup, and has some nice film albeit limited. AJ is ready NOW.....and Beane went and got him on the cheap. This FO has yet to make a bad move in my opinion.....and IF they whiff on AJ (which I doubt) they will buy us a vet in FA next year.

i get tired with some of these negative posts from some on here calling themselves Bills fans.  I liked Rosen too but Beane saw something more in Allen. Im betting its also his confidence with the AJ move.  Maybe you are right, we might not even need to worry about the Allen pick......and I hope  you are.

Edited by RFL