Beane & McDermott Address the Buffalo Media after Round 1

14 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's funny how fans and media know that accuracy is something that can never improve (therefore a qb who had poor accuracy in college will never succeed in the NFL) yet Allen was still considered In the top tier of the draft this year and at times discussed as the #1 overall pick by the professional front office personal of real NFL teams...

I dunno, there's a lot riding against this kid.  From the NDT Scouting Report:

"Josh Allens sheet here only re-affirms what I already believed: youre drafting a player solely on a potential, no matter where you take Allen. Allen makes some jaw-dropping throws, and certainly has some genera-tional talent. But the risks he takes when asked to process/decide beyond his first read or under pressure are absurd, and he cannot be trusted on an NFL field with his sporadic ball placement. On top of his poor decision-making as a passer, Allen scrambled on nearly 1 out of every 10 drop-backs and took a sack on 1 out of every 13. He simply is not yet an NFL quarterback—just a dude with insane contact balance, nice speed, and a cannon attached to his right shoulder. Allen very well can become an NFL quarterback, but a team investing in Allen faces the two steepest chal-lenges a young QB can face: improving decision-making (especially under pressure) and improving accuracy."

From Football Outsiders:

"Since 1997, there have been 27 different quarterbacks chosen in the top 100 with QBASE ratings below zero. The best of these quarterbacks was either Josh McCown or Brian Griese. It's a terrible group of quarterback busts. Negative-QBASE passers chosen in the first round include Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, J.P. Losman, and Patrick Ramsey.

Allen's rating was -83, the only of the top 8 QBs in this draft. 

I am just going to hope and drink heavily.