If AJ McCarron plays great

3 minutes ago, kota said:

If he plays well let the kid sit.  Then pass the reigns to Allen and trade AJ.  AJ is on a very nice deal that people would jump at.

Hand the reigns to Allen if/when he earns them. If AJ plays well keep him. You have to have a good backup. Earl Moral, Jeff Hoztettler, Frank ...  No SBs for them if they had Nasty Nate or Fitz as backup.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If you have 5 women to chose from and the best one rates a 4 out of 10....   Whats that say? 

Depends on your rating scale, doesn't it? What if one of the five turns out to be the best in bed, all time? How would you know? You have to wait until after you made your choice to find out.

See? It all depends on your rating scale. One, some, or all 5, could be absolute freaks. Would you rather have a 10 out of 10 "rated"...dead fish? That would be torturous. She looks great...but every night you keep trying to convince yourself she's going to be better this time.

This is a beauty contest at best, with no real, objective way to know what these QBs are: until they are on the field, in regular season games, and, only after starting at least 20 of them. Both Joe Montana and Tom Brady were considered <. I still say Montana is better. But, regardless, they were both "rated 4 out of 10".

You just never know, until you know. Trent Dilfer is the best example of a "rated 10/10"...dead fish. He looked like sure HOF material...but...dead fish. EDIT: And the poor Tampa fans had to keep trying to convince themselves he was gonna be better this time. :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

41 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Hand the reigns to Allen if/when he earns them. If AJ plays well keep him. You have to have a good backup. Earl Moral, Jeff Hoztettler, Frank ...  No SBs for them if they had Nasty Nate or Fitz as backup.

......certainly agree....would be nice for a little deja vu ala Kelly & Reich........

46 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Agreed.  I think McCarron would have more value as a trusted backup than he would on the trade market.  I think people overestimating the trade value he would have after one good season, even with his team-friendly contract.  Unless he absolutely lights it up, McCarron would likely still be viewed as a bridge/back-up type QB.  Foles, for example, absolutely killed it filling in for Wentz and still there apparently wasn't much of a trade market for him; despite what he accomplished, teams still did not see him as a franchise QB.  Cousins had to put up three really good seasons before people looked at him as a long-term QB solution, and even then many weren't sold.       

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

Agreed.  I think McCarron would have more value as a trusted backup than he would on the trade market.  I think people overestimating the trade value he would have after one good season, even with his team-friendly contract.  Unless he absolutely lights it up, McCarron would likely still be viewed as a bridge/back-up type QB.  Foles, for example, absolutely killed it filling in for Wentz and still there apparently wasn't much of a trade market for him; despite what he accomplished, teams still did not see him as a franchise QB.  Cousins had to put up three really good seasons before people looked at him as a long-term QB solution, and even then many weren't sold.       

...with the desperation nature of the QB position over the last decade. marginal success of a backup translated into large contracts.....take Schaub, Foles & Kolb......Schaub was a hot commodity out of Atlanta...had some decent years and then lapsed into "pick six land".....Kolb had some decent games with Eagles as backup, hit FA and 'Zona jumped.....managed to bring his concussion total to 5+ and Bflo jum,ps at the chance to sign a guy whose noodle went limp....Foles, on the brink of retirement, has an epiphany with the Eagles...don't think McCarron ever had much of a chance with Bengals.....Brown wanted his money's worth out of Dalton regardless......Marvin was/is Marvin.....McCarron was there in the 5th, a steady Eddie cerebral with game manager tendencies yet the OBD "Mecca Of QB Development" passed.......kid could resurrect his career like Gannon or Foles until the Allen kid is ready.....a nice one/two punch like Kelly/Reich would be a welcome union with Allen/McCarron......

So there "wasn't much of a trade market" for Foles, or perhaps there wasn't a team prepared to pay the supposed asking price which was a 1st and another pick ...

I also remember a lot of good judges here saying that they wouldn't be able to get a 7th for Tyrod and that would be after the Bills had to eat his roster bonus...

If AJM plays really well, teams will be falling all over themselves to trade for him.  He's got a 2yr deal and Buffalo would be in a great position to trade before his contract is up. There's also a possibility they like him so much that they want to keep him.

In all likelihood, though, he will be nothing more than a competent backup.  But who knows right now.

1 minute ago, Rockinon said:

If AJM plays really well, teams will be falling all over themselves to trade for him.  He's got a 2yr deal and Buffalo would be in a great position to trade before his contract is up. There's also a possibility they like him so much that they want to keep him.

In all likelihood, though, he will be nothing more than a competent backup.  But who knows right now.

He is on comparative chump change next year so I think he has some trade value even if he only has moderate success this year...

A big if I know at this stage but lets keep an open mind and see how it plays out..

Its good to have potential contingency plans and options..

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

He is on comparative chump change next year so I think he has some trade value even if he only has moderate success this year...

A big if I know at this stage but lets keep an open mind and see how it plays out..

Its good to have potential contingency plans and options..

Um, I'm pretty sure I was keeping an open mind.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:24 PM, #34fan said:

What if Peterman plays outstanding?

You wake up eventually from your dream.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:35 PM, Lfod said:

That would be so epic. From 5 interceptions to 5 Superbowls Nate Peterman. The guy everybody said was pure garbage. The guy everybody was  sleeping on. 

Just imagine the looks on people faces if that happens. 

I like crow pie but it is so hard to find.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:35 PM, Lfod said:

That would be so epic. From 5 interceptions to 5 Superbowls Nate Peterman. The guy everybody said was pure garbage. The guy everybody was  sleeping on. 

Just imagine the looks on people faces if that happens. 

I like crow pie but it is so hard to prepare and find.

eat-crow-2.jpg

42 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

So there "wasn't much of a trade market" for Foles, or perhaps there wasn't a team prepared to pay the supposed asking price which was a 1st and another pick ...

I also remember a lot of good judges here saying that they wouldn't be able to get a 7th for Tyrod and that would be after the Bills had to eat his roster bonus...

I question whether they were "good" judges.  More like a hanging judge who gets paid by number of ropes he uses.

18 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

We continue to let Allen compete and if he beats a Great AJ then we get a boat load of picks(For AJ).  Even if AJ hits his ceilling he won't be anywhere near Josh Allen hitting his ceilling.  AJ your probably talking Alex smith, Rich Gannon level.  Allen you have to think Elway, Kelly, Favre.

I wouldn't call him dumb.  Just answer his question.  Not all posters are on the same level, at least he isn't one of the over rated posters on here that people think are so great that they get led to think they are pros.

Not saying Allen is ready but they said Wentz wasn't ready either.

I didn't say he was dumb, I said these threads are dumb.  And I stand by that stance.  Debating the value of a draft pick on what we can recoup in the future if we trade him is absurd.  You don't draft a guy at 7th overall and think "can we get equal value back later for this guy in a trade".  You draft a guy at 7th overall to be a football player on your team.  Someone freaking out about whether or not we can get back the extra 2 second round picks in a future trade of Josh Allen is over the top ridiculous.  

And if AJ plays well, the team will have a choice to make like when Brees played well after drafting Rivers.  And thats not a bad problem to have because both AJ and Allen would have value in that case.  But you don't pass on trading up to get Allen on because you have an unproven AJ on the roster and you don't grade drafting Allen on what happens if something not likely to happen happens.  

Sorry, just how I see it.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

How long did Steve Young sit? .....Aaron Rodgers?

If Allen is ever going to be good, it would benefit the Bills to find out as quickly as possible and to start him as quickly as possible.

You want to get as much playing mileage as possible out of his first contract.

19 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

If Allen is ever going to be good, it would benefit the Bills to find out as quickly as possible and to start him as quickly as possible.

You want to get as much playing mileage as possible out of his first contract.

I see no logic in this.

• Like (+1) 1