If AJ McCarron plays great

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

So there "wasn't much of a trade market" for Foles, or perhaps there wasn't a team prepared to pay the supposed asking price which was a 1st and another pick ...

I also remember a lot of good judges here saying that they wouldn't be able to get a 7th for Tyrod and that would be after the Bills had to eat his roster bonus...

You’re right...no one really knows what kind of market there was for Foles because he was not traded.  What we do know is that the Eagles were willing to deal him but valued him higher as a backup than any of the offers they received for him.

On 4/26/2018 at 6:52 PM, Kingston Bills Fan said:

There is no way we would ever get near the value we gave up for Allen. If AJ plays great and he becomes our QB. They would never get a first and 2 seconds back for Allen!

Who cares, if McCarron is a stud and “we found our answer” then it’s well worth the price.

youd be an idiot to try to find the bad in a scenario where we found our franchise QB. I’d welcome the problem 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/26/2018 at 8:52 PM, Kingston Bills Fan said:

There is no way we would ever get near the value we gave up for Allen. If AJ plays great and he becomes our QB. They would never get a first and 2 seconds back for Allen!

2 firsts is easily in the ballpark for a hot QB prospect. That said, I don't think he has a shot of living up to his draft status, but hopefully I'm wrong.

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...with the desperation nature of the QB position over the last decade. marginal success of a backup translated into large contracts.....take Schaub, Foles & Kolb......Schaub was a hot commodity out of Atlanta...had some decent years and then lapsed into "pick six land".....Kolb had some decent games with Eagles as backup, hit FA and 'Zona jumped.....managed to bring his concussion total to 5+ and Bflo jum,ps at the chance to sign a guy whose noodle went limp....Foles, on the brink of retirement, has an epiphany with the Eagles...don't think McCarron ever had much of a chance with Bengals.....Brown wanted his money's worth out of Dalton regardless......Marvin was/is Marvin.....McCarron was there in the 5th, a steady Eddie cerebral with game manager tendencies yet the OBD "Mecca Of QB Development" passed.......kid could resurrect his career like Gannon or Foles until the Allen kid is ready.....a nice one/two punch like Kelly/Reich would be a welcome union with Allen/McCarron......

McCarron may play well enough to make the QB position in Buffalo very interesting to say the least in my humble opinion. 

Myself personally, the one two punch might go McCarron /Allen for a few years...

...which is probably the best case scenario for all concerned...

...my OldTime friend...

...I'm just saying... 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didn't say he was dumb, I said these threads are dumb.  And I stand by that stance.  Debating the value of a draft pick on what we can recoup in the future if we trade him is absurd.  You don't draft a guy at 7th overall and think "can we get equal value back later for this guy in a trade".  You draft a guy at 7th overall to be a football player on your team.  Someone freaking out about whether or not we can get back the extra 2 second round picks in a future trade of Josh Allen is over the top ridiculous.  

And if AJ plays well, the team will have a choice to make like when Brees played well after drafting Rivers.  And thats not a bad problem to have because both AJ and Allen would have value in that case.  But you don't pass on trading up to get Allen on because you have an unproven AJ on the roster and you don't grade drafting Allen on what happens if something not likely to happen happens.  

Sorry, just how I see it.  

I understand what you're saying.  Your response to me may have been a better response to the OP than your original.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Figster said:

McCarron may play well enough to make the QB position in Buffalo very interesting to say the least in my humble opinion. 

Myself personally, the one two punch might go McCarron /Allen for a few years...

...which is probably the best case scenario for all concerned...

...my OldTime friend...

...I'm just saying... 

IMHO, for McCarron to play well enough to keep Allen on the bench would be absolutely the best case scenario for the Bills.

McCarron is under contract for next year at a very reasonable cost, and for him to play like a viable starter would surely give the Bills some phone calls at trade.

Let Allen soak up the complexity of the NFL defenses he'll face and learn the playbook in the QB room.  Depending upon where you think he is, either trade McCarron for next year or keep him as a backup at a reasonable cost.

7 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I understand what you're saying.  Your response to me may have been a better response to the OP than your original.

Fair enough, and all good.  I will add, TSW was in the middle of total meltdown on the board with 100 threads of people freaking out.  So, it also came from a place of annoyance during the conditions of the board.

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Fair enough, and all good.  I will add, TSW was in the middle of total meltdown on the board with 100 threads of people freaking out.  So, it also came from a place of annoyance during the conditions of the board.

The worst is the guy that said we could name three experts that were high on Allen.  He could end up being a bust but I doubt it.  The only question is how much of his potential does he reach.