RD 1, Pick 16: Tremaine Edmunds OLB - Virginia Tech

SDS

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I love this. Edmunds was a consensus top 10 pick by all of the draft experts, and most people thought we would not even have a second pick in the 1st round if we moved up to get one of the top 4 QB's, and still people are bitching.  We just got 2 potential superstars and still have plenty of picks left in this draft. These are not "feel good projects", they are 2 top 10 talents on day one of the draft. I am excited for the future of this franchise, sorry you can't enjoy it. 

And we gave away all of our 2nd round picks.........which is incidentally the deepest 2nd round talent that the draft has seen in years.

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I love this. Edmunds was a consensus top 10 pick by all of the draft experts, and most people thought we would not even have a second pick in the 1st round if we moved up to get one of the top 4 QB's, and still people are bitching.  We just got 2 potential superstars and still have plenty of picks left in this draft. These are not "feel good projects", they are 2 top 10 talents on day one of the draft. I am excited for the future of this franchise, sorry you can't enjoy it. 

I wouldn't say they have plenty of picks left - last pick in the third round - 63 picks before then, a late 4th and, I think a couple of 5ths.

i am excited by the Edmunds selection and, while I wouldn't have taken Allen, I'm trying to be optimistic that with a good OL and a WR or two he might play something like Cam Newton.  Regarding the Newton comment, I am not parroting someone else's' comment - I said that in a thread here a few days ago. 

30 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I wouldn't say they have plenty of picks left - last pick in the third round - 63 picks before then, a late 4th and, I think a couple of 5ths.

i am excited by the Edmunds selection and, while I wouldn't have taken Allen, I'm trying to be optimistic that with a good OL and a WR or two he might play something like Cam Newton.  Regarding the Newton comment, I am not parroting someone else's' comment - I said that in a thread here a few days ago. 

They have pick 96, and then 5 picks on day 3: a 4th, two 5ths, a 6th, and a 7th.

Just now, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

I think we landed the best lber in the draft. Solid solid pick.

Not the best IMO, but certainly the most talented.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Legit question, I don't know if it was answered anywhere else in the thread:

What position LB does he play? I know we are weak at both MLB and SLB, does he play a hybrid of those?

From what I've read, he moved around a fair amount in college, and has the potential to play any LB position, including 3-4 pass rusher (maybe). My expectation is that Option A will be to have him in the Luke Kuechly role. If that doesn't work out, there's still other positions/roles where he could be very effective. 

Edit: It was barely touched on in the first-round press conference with McDermott, and he didn't commit to Edmunds at any specific position. We'll probably have to wait for training camp and see where he winds up playing. 

Edited by Cash

I was a bit shocked that they did the same move for both picks: traded up a few spots and grabbed a player of need with a high ceiling and limited resume.

I could see doing it once but I wouldn’t have done for our second pick. Nothing against Tremaine implied. 

This could a big win...or a really damaging bust of a Draft.

Love the pick!

Beane is a genius and got his QB and ILBer in the first round...

when almost every Bills fan posting here wanted him to give up two 1sts, two 2nds, two 3rds for just a QB named Josh Rosen with the second overall pick. Some fans even wanted him to give up three firsts for Rosen! 

24 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Agreed 

I smell a trade for a vet WR or OL

That would be an interesting move, particularly OL.  I am hopeful that Jonathan Miller can reemerge and take one of the OG spots, but the OL really lost a lot of talent this offseason.  

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Legit question, I don't know if it was answered anywhere else in the thread:

What position LB does he play? I know we are weak at both MLB and SLB, does he play a hybrid of those?

I think he could definitely play either, but I think they will plug him in as a MIKE. Bob Babich seemed to be really excited about him in some of those war room videos. I know people wanted to paint LVE as the next Brian Urlacher because he is a white guy and is similar in size. If you look at the measurables, this guy Edmunds is basically Urlacher in terms of potential and athletic profile. I think that is what Babich and McDermott see. I know I am comparing him to a HOF player, but that is what he could be. Playing him at the SAM would be a waste of his talents and athleticism in my honest opinion. They could play him there early, ala Shaq Thompson to get him acclimated, put I think you plug him in at MIKE right now. 

Zone defenses require a lot of length. Quarterbacks try to find those holes between the Mike  linebacker and the safety, or between the corners and the safeties. That's why Mcdermott values long corners and having a 6-5 MIKE with 35 inch arms and runs a 4.54 makes it more difficult for quarterbacks to fit the ball in those windows. It basically makes them tighter. Edmunds is a bit raw, but the signing of Star Lotulelei is going to protect him and allow him to make a million plays. I love this pick. 

I honestly hope the Bills still draft another backer like Fred Warner later in the draft as well to go along with Milano and Edmunds.  

I had been so focused on QBs this year, and willing to trade the whole draft to get one, I never really paid attention to the other guys in the first round. Luckily McBeane did!

Looks like we got a heck of a prospect.

My main worries are that I hear he is "young and needs to be molded". A lot of what I heard in my research last night sounded like what folks said about Maybin.

However, I'm trusting that McDermitt and Babich will be able to coach the kid up at MIKE in the Tampa-2 they run.

I'm not sure whether Edmunds ends up as a MLB or OLB or a hybrid who lines up in different spots based on down and distance, but I love this trade up and selection.  The Bills have needed an IMPACT player in the front 7 on defense for years now, and hopefully Edmunds becomes that guy.

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I had been so focused on QBs this year, and willing to trade the whole draft to get one, I never really paid attention to the other guys in the first round. Luckily McBeane did!

Looks like we got a heck of a prospect.

My main worries are that I hear he is "young and needs to be molded". A lot of what I heard in my research last night sounded like what folks said about Maybin.

However, I'm trusting that McDermitt and Babich will be able to coach the kid up at MIKE in the Tampa-2 they run.

He is not an edge rusher, he could but he is going to play LB.  He has the best range in the draft coverage or sideline to sideline.  By molded, he doesn't really know how strong he is yet and it will be enhanced with proper technigue.  6-5 240 Mike who led his team in tackles and sacks who is 19 is a unicorn.