Why Do You Think Bills Are Waiting to Make a Deal

Irv

10 minutes ago, Irv said:

If the Bills are moving up, why wait until tonight?  Couldn't make a deal?  Never intended to move up?  Not saying wrong or right - just difficult to figure out the strategy. 

Making sure the Qb the guy they want most is there at 2.  If not they go option B at 4 or 5 imo.  They need a Qb either way but if you are going with the second choice save a few picks in the process.

• Like (+1) 1

Because unlike the fans, they know what they are doing and either have 1 person they like or multiple and are not willing to just give up whatever someone wants to move up to put the fans at ease. You dont trade up until you see how the cards fall. If you trade up to 2 and spend all your picks to do it, then the browns take the guy you want, what do you do then? If you dont trade up to the top spot, you have no control of what happens and may have traded up for nothing because either the player you wanted are gone before, someone else gets ahead of you somehow, or you spent a bunch of picks for no reason cause you poked multiple guys the same and they are all available when you originally were sitting at.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Irv said:

I'll answer a question with a question - why did the Jets move up weeks ago vs waiting until tonight? 

The Jets gave up 4 really good players (one in 2019) to move up three spots for likely the second best QB on their board.  The Bills gave up a player who was IR'd almost the whole year to move into a position to get into the top 7 in the draft.  They are waiting and seeing if a player they want falls enough where they may only have to give up 2 for 1 or 3 for 1.  Patience almost always makes a roster better.  Over the next three days the Bills could net a Billy Price, Martinas Rankin, Tim Settle, DJ Chark or two of these because they were patient...The Jets move is PR; the Bills move is roster building.  Just my opinion.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Irv said:

If the Bills are moving up, why wait until tonight?  Couldn't make a deal?  Never intended to move up?  Not saying wrong or right - just difficult to figure out the strategy. 

I think you might be working under a misunderstanding. These aren't the days where the first pick in the draft needed to be negotiated; the GM isn't asking three guys who wants to take what in terms of contracts and then the first pick is essentially signed days in advance. Rooks are slotted. 

So the top picks have remarkable flexibility. I don't think there has been a single trade like the Jets made since 2011. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

Because they need to see how the draft starts to fall. If Mayfield goes 1 maybe they wasn't to get to 2 for Darnold but if Darnold goes 1 then maybe they think 2 is too high for Allen when they can get him or rosen maybe at 5 or 6 and give up less. Id bet they just wanna see how things play out. Im sure they have talked to most of the teams in front of them to cover every scenario and have some trades worked out in principle already

Spot on!

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know man.  I have to agree with Beane.  Information has value.  The more you wait the more you have to consider.  I agree that the Jets probably jumped the gun. 

22 minutes ago, Irv said:

Because McBeane is smart

18 minutes ago, Irv said:

I'll answer a question with a question - why did the Jets move up weeks ago vs waiting until tonight? 

Because the Jets are dumb

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

I don't know man.  I have to agree with Beane.  Information has value.  The more you wait the more you have to consider.  I agree that the Jets probably jumped the gun. 

I think the jets identified 3 qbs they would be happy with and went to 3 knowing they would get one of those guys. I don't they jumped the gun I think they were just good with 3 different guys

Edited by Wsam4031
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

You go into a furniture store and see some furniture you really like, but the prices are too expensive.

So you come back a week later to see if anything's on sale.

You dont just offer them twice what they are asking so you dont lose out on a franchise couch that will be with you for 12-15 years?

• Like (+1) 1