Why Do You Think Bills Are Waiting to Make a Deal

Irv

3 hours ago, Irv said:

I'll answer a question with a question - why did the Jets move up weeks ago vs waiting until tonight? 

Because they’re fine with one of three options that will be available. Maybe we want to know “our guy” is there before paying through the nose. Maybe the Giants and whoever else wants to know their guy ISN’T there. 

3 hours ago, Irv said:

I'll answer a question with a question - why did the Jets move up weeks ago vs waiting until tonight? 

Same reason they gave up a ludicrous number of draft picks to move up.  Buffalo's move up to #12 sent them into full panic mode, so they pulled the trigger early and grossly overpaid.  The Jets acted on panicked impulse, the Bills are acting with a plan and composure.

1 minute ago, jkirchofer said:

I wonder if we can't move up if we don't try to pry away Nick Foles or Andrew Luck? I know Philly wants to move up and Indy has lots of needs and seems happy with Brissett under center.

:huh:  Philly wants to move down because they want picks in rounds 2 and 3 they currently don't have.  Foles or Luck?  Come on man!

I believe the Bills have a handful of Quarterbacks they would be comfortable with drafting.  But each one has a different value.  And as such, they are only willing to trade so much to move up and get that player.

Based on the fact they haven't made a trade yet (I'm making the assumption the Giants are even willing), my guess is that Brandon Beane only has one QB with a "premier" grade.  And they aren't going to make a trade with the Giants, unless they are certain that player is still available.  They can't be absolutely certain until the Browns make their pick.

If that top QB is gone, I imagine the Bills will wait for the Giants and Jets to make their selections.  If there is still a guy they really like, I imagine they will start working the phones for Picks #4 and down.  Once again -- they have a price they are willing to pay, and a cost that is too expensive.  Depending on how each scenario plays out, I think Beane has prepared himself for trading up to #2, trading up to #4-10, picking at #12, and possibly even waiting until later in the draft to grab his QB. 

As a fan, I can only hope they have done their homework and don't get cold feet on pulling the trigger for the right guy.  I don't want them settling for a long-shot, just because they weren't willing to part with enough draft capital.  At the same time, I don't want them desperately trading everything for a guy they don't believe in.

3 hours ago, Irv said:

Assuming this wasn't a total panic/desperation move, I would assume that New York has at least 3 Quarterbacks they would be equally comfortable with landing.

3 hours ago, Irv said:

If the Bills are moving up, why wait until tonight?  Couldn't make a deal?  Never intended to move up?  Not saying wrong or right - just difficult to figure out the strategy. 

You just answered the first question.  Moving up now makes your plans obvious.  Waiting keeps everyone guessing.

• Like (+1) 1

Most Bills fans here will be bleating like stuck sheep once the Bills don't move up to the #2 spot for an overhyped QB.

I believe they are waiting to see how things develop once the Jests make their pick at the #3 spot.

Both Darnold and Mayfield should both be gone by this time and the bills will need to see what Denver will do with their pick. I also think that both Rosen and Allen will fall past the #5 spot and if Beane really wants either of those two he should make a move now to beat Arizona, Miami or other teams wanting to move on a QB.

4 hours ago, Irv said:

If the Bills are moving up, why wait until tonight?  Couldn't make a deal?  Never intended to move up?  Not saying wrong or right - just difficult to figure out the strategy. 

Who do they want and who did Cleveland draft.

Once we have those answers- we can move up.

4 hours ago, Irv said:

Because Cleveland was not trading #1 and the Giants are not trading with the Jets - so they traded as high as they could get and way overpaid to get there.

4 hours ago, Irv said:

hey Irv.

i've mentioned this elsewhere. Beane is a pretty smart cookie. he doesn't intend to give away precious draft capital that he doesn't have to. with picks 2, 4, 5, 6  and 7 possibly being up for grabs, it has esseentially become a buyers market. in a buyers market the price drops. Beane wants to see how the draft shapes up before making his move. i am quite sure he has deals in place with at least a couple of those teams i mentioned with the top picks. he also probably has a standing offer of being able to beat anyone else with those he doesn't already have deals in place with. i fully expect him to get the best position for as little capital as possible.

enjoy the draft.:beer:

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1