Browns Take Mayfield at #1

"The draft is a crazy deal.  You can never predict it.  And all the people who say they can predict it, are lying to you, I promise you that" - AJ McCarron

If the Browns have had radio silence all these weeks about who they are taking, and it's now shifting to media pundits blowing that they're going to take Mayfield, some team - most likely either the Browns or the Giants - are trying to accomplish something - most likely to shake up some higher bidding for Pick #2 or Pick #4.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hue Jackson has already said there's no QB competition...Taylor is starting.  But then take Mayfield who might be ready to start now?

Makes sense to get someone who can push Taylor right now. Also, it's about taking the best player. 

12 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

yes he can be the sacrificial lamb that goes to the horrible Jets organization so we can get the Chosen Rosen

I really don't see how you have concluded Darnold is a "game manager" qb.  I don't mind Rosen, but Darnold has a higher ceiling, more durability, and I think a relatively high floor.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I really don't see how you have concluded Darnold is a "game manager" qb.  I don't mind Rosen, but Darnold has a higher ceiling, more durability, and I think a relatively high floor.

playing style, poor mechanics.  he's a "gamer" and a "football player" which is code for he's not that great of a QB but he makes plays

the good news for you and most other people is there is a very high chance we come away with one of those 2 in this draft.  i just greatly prefer Rosen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

playing style, poor mechanics.  he's a "gamer" and a "football player" which is code for he's not that great of a QB but he makes plays

I think you are in the minority regarding his qb ability.  Time will tell if you are right.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I think you are in the minority regarding his qb ability.  Time will tell if you are right.

My concern for him is protecting the football.

I think he's gonna deal with a tough transition to the NFL-type pressure he'll experience on a regular basis.

Rosen's a much better decision maker and natural in the pocket.

• Like (+1) 3

Browns like Allen the most and have Mayfield ranked close second.  Bills like Mayfield and Browns know this.  Bills -Browns have it worked that that Browns take Mayfield #1 to take Jets out of the mix of taking him.  If Allen is still there at #4 like he should be, Browns then take Allen and trade Mayfield to Bills for a huge haul.  If Giants or Jets blow the plan up and Allen gets picked #2 or #3 which seems unlikely, the deal is off and Browns remain content with Mayfield and take Barkley/Chubb.  

Maybe???

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

My concern for him is protecting the football.

I think he's gonna deal with a tough transition to the NFL-type pressure he'll experience on a regular basis.

Rosen's a much better decision maker and natural in the pocket.

Darnold is not nearly as polished as Rosen right now.  If you think his issues are correctable (I do,) one could counter that Darnold is creative and skilled when the pocket breaks down -- which it frequently does in the pros.  Rosen is great if you can keep him upright in a clean pocket.  He's tough, too, but has poor pocket awareness and an injury history that puts his durability into question.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

He's starting and will be stealing snaps from TT on Day 1 of Training Camp. 

Nothing like taking the 1st pick in the 3rd round and 18 mill and lighting them on fire... 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PastorMKC said:

Isn't it obvious I don't look at him as a franchise QB, I'm not saying he will be terrible but a #1 pick no way ... JMHO

Weirdly enough most Bills fans would love Mayfield on our team. Not sure where the disconnect is between our fanbases. You guys have had Darnold hyped for so long it will seem disappointing. Just be happy it isn't Josh Allen IMO.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Columbus radio going nuts. Not fans of mayfield. “ name me the last short, slow knucklehead to be a successful QB”

well theres always a 1st

Drew Brees? The stories that I have heard from his teammates would really surprise people. He isn’t he “Saint” (no pun intended) that he is made out to be. He just is really good at keeping things quiet. People in New Orleans haven’t even heard most/any of it.

6 minutes ago, PastorMKC said:

Isn't it obvious I don't look at him as a franchise QB, I'm not saying he will be terrible but a #1 pick no way ... JMHO

Are you Mary Kay Cabot?

You just showed up here the other day and seem to be into the whole Cleveland thing