Jags' owner buying Wembley Stadium

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not sure what the bolded has to do with the Glazers, who very much run their sports empire as their father did--including Man U.

Also, what is Khan's stated "agenda" here?

An even better question, what do the Glazers, and how they run their business, have to do with Khan and how he runs his?

The Buccaneers have not played a game in London in 6-7 years?

Meanwhile, the Jaguars are scheduled to play a game in London for a consecutive 6th time in 2018.

15 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I was more referring to playoff games, like the Wildcard round. You have the potential for a west coast team having to be 8 hours out-of-whack after finishing a 16 game season. It would be a tremendous competitive disadvantage for a team like the 49ers or Chargers to have to prepare for the game, do the travel, then play with little notice or time to adjust to an additional 5 hour difference (over and above the 3 hour difference between West and East coast games.)

Never thought of playoff issues yea that really would be complete BS for road teams.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This news has not gone down all that well over here as you might imagine..... selling our national stadium off to a foreign investor. But yep, it is another step towards the London Jags. 

The fact that JAX ends up in London every year is also a precursor... I don't think they make the move all the way, though... I think the Jacksonville/London Jaguars will be the NFL's overseas franchise gamble.... 3 London Games a year. Probably all in the same month...

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

The fact that JAX ends up in London every year is also a precursor... I don't think they make the move all the way, though... I think the Jacksonville/London Jaguars will be the NFL's overseas franchise gamble.... 3 London Games a year. Probably all in the same month...

I think that will be the testing ground. Eventually I think there will be a team here. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This news has not gone down all that well over here as you might imagine..... selling our national stadium off to a foreign investor. But yep, it is another step towards the London Jags. 

You'll get used to it. Foreigners own all kinds of things here.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

You'll get used to it. Foreigners own all kinds of things here.

Oh they do here too. The Germans own half of our rail infrastructure and the French own our utilities. Yay for privatisation. Putting British taxpayers' money in the hands of foreign business. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not sure what the bolded has to do with the Glazers, who very much run their sports empire as their father did--including Man U.

Also, what is Khan's stated "agenda" here?

Yeah I don't know the Glazers business that well are all the heirs on the same page?    That's rare.   Ask the Rogers son that wanted the Bills.........rest of family?   Nope.  And without their cuts of Ted's equity he needed partners.

Khan wants to move the Jags to London or get dibs on the expansion franchise.     He may have designs on moving up in the soccer biz as well but it's pretty CLEAR if you read the statements that it's a market squat for Khan's NFL interest.  

But maybe you are right and he's just looking out for his partners so that Vince McMahon/XFL don't get Wembley.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that will be the testing ground. Eventually I think there will be a team here. 

Jetlag will be a major issue... Until Shahid Kahn brings the Concorde back.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh they do here too. The Germans own half of our rail infrastructure and the French own our utilities. Yay for privatisation. Putting British taxpayers' money in the hands of foreign business. 

Let me guess, -You voted "out". :)

40 minutes ago, Cynical said:

An even better question, what do the Glazers, and how they run their business, have to do with Khan and how he runs his?

The Buccaneers have not played a game in London in 6-7 years?

Meanwhile, the Jaguars are scheduled to play a game in London for a consecutive 6th time in 2018.

Remember when Ralph moved a game a year to Toronto?  Yeah...

Anyway, the Raiders have played international gams in 4 of 5 seasons including next. Are they looking to leave Las Vegas?

30 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Galactic conquest?

Image result for khan wrath of khan

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Anyway, the Raiders have played international gams in 4 of 5 seasons including next. Are they looking to leave Las Vegas?

No.... They're MOVING to Las Vegas..

And another thing you don't get... Many Londoners already embrace the Jaguars... -It's not just the national car anymore...

Edited by #34fan

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I don't know the Glazers business that well are all the heirs on the same page?    That's rare.   Ask the Rogers son that wanted the Bills.........rest of family?   Nope.  And without their cuts of Ted's equity he needed partners.

Khan wants to move the Jags to London or get dibs on the expansion franchise.     He may have designs on moving up in the soccer biz as well but it's pretty CLEAR if you read the statements that it's a market squat for Khan's NFL interest.  

But maybe you are right and he's just looking out for his partners so that Vince McMahon/XFL don't get Wembley.

This is what he said:

"The games the Jaguars play at Wembley are essential to the financial stability of the Jaguars in Jacksonville, which is one of the smallest markets in the NFL. If my ownership interests were to include Wembley Stadium, it would protect the Jaguars' position in London at a time when other NFL teams are understandably becoming more interested in this great city. And the stronger the Jaguars are in London, the more stable and promising the Jaguars’ future will be in Jacksonville."

3 minutes ago, #34fan said:

No.... They're MOVING to Las Vegas..

And another thing you don't get... Many Londoners already embrace the Jaguars... -It's not just the national car anymore...

Look up--something just flew over your head.

We'll call it "irony".

The NFL is going to tackle that frontier sooner rather than later, now that their LA/Vegas "problem" is solved.  

IMO they will look to get into London (and possibly Toronto or Montreal at some point).  This may tip their hand.  Jacksonville provides very little to the NFL.  Its not a large market, there isn't a lot of history that is a part of the NFL "brand" (the reason the Bills, Raiders, Packers, Colts, Saints etc have value)...

Their lease goes until 2030, but it is possible to get out of it without paying if they prove they are below average in revenue (not sure if NFL would be willing to expose their books).

Next CBA in a few years we may see some shifts in scheduling that may make it more likely to fit London.  I have a feeling they may add a regular season game or 2 (drop a preseason or 2)... and also add a second bye week.  It wont be too difficult to work travel to London in with bye weeks (and Thursday night games).  London would also maybe go on extended road/home trips and have some sort of base in the US.

5 hours ago, corta765 said:

If you read Peter Kings MMQB he has hinted the NFL has seriously considered expanding or adding there. The market is insanely rich with potential and fans already and I believe he said within ten years he thinks a team will be there. The biggest issue is travel and training and they have talked that for away games they would possibly setup a quasi home base in the US on the east coast to train at so they didn't have to keep going back and forth. The other issue is money for players because of the taxes in the UK and that would put them at a bit of a disadvantage.

Maybe the players could simply establish domiciles in Monaco, as all the F1 drivers do, and avoid income tax entirely.

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Faulty comparison. Bills did horrible in Toronto, and that series was not well received.

That series was cancelled.

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is what he said:

"The games the Jaguars play at Wembley are essential to the financial stability of the Jaguars in Jacksonville, which is one of the smallest markets in the NFL. If my ownership interests were to include Wembley Stadium, it would protect the Jaguars' position in London at a time when other NFL teams are understandably becoming more interested in this great city. And the stronger the Jaguars are in London, the more stable and promising the Jaguars’ future will be in Jacksonville."

Interesting statement and a more interesting comment.

He's essentially admitting he has squeezed out as much revenue as he can out of the Jacksonville market, and that he needs another market (London) to support it.

There  is nothing in his statement that prevents him from eventually moving the team to London and playing 1 international series game in Jacksonville. His comments would still be true.

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

Oops. -Thought it was a bug and Killed it with my shoe. 

No, that was whatever point you were trying to make.

47 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Faulty comparison. Bills did horrible in Toronto, and that series was not well received.

That series was cancelled.

Interesting statement and a more interesting comment.

He's essentially admitting he has squeezed out as much revenue as he can out of the Jacksonville market, and that he needs another market (London) to support it.

There  is nothing in his statement that prevents him from eventually moving the team to London and playing 1 international series game in Jacksonville. His comments would still be true.

Which is what Ralph said....hence the not faulty comparison.

The other poster said his comments indicated he was moving the team; they indicate that he is not moving the team.