LAST "Why Josh Allen is a Huge Bust Waiting To Happen" Thread!!

Domdab99

I am trying to mentally and emotionally prepare myself for the Bills to draft Josh Allen.

To be honest, the whole thing makes me feel queasy. All of my faith in the credibility and competence of McBeane will be seriously damaged if they pick this kid. There is just NOTHING other than "strong arm and movement skills" to suggest Allen will be worth a darn. And we Bills fans have seen that movie twice already with JP and EJ. 

I'm really, really hoping the Bills find a way to get Mayfield/Rosen/Darnold. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Idk what any of this is or means.  

Allen played his first two years of college at Reedly Community College  and this was his record one of those years.  Then he sent letters to 350 NCAA division I teams and got two replies. He then played two years at Wyoming, which was the 7th ranked conference in the NCAA. They played teams mainly in the 100's to 200's and did so-so.  His senior year they beat Gardner-Webb 27-0.  They did play two top 50 teams that year Oregon and Iowa- his QB rating in those games was 6 and 30. ......   Sorry, one of the criteria of most people is that a high candidate should have 3-4 years of success against top notch competition to show they can do it year after year.   Trying to extrapolate from such a low level to the pros is risky and IMO, foolish.  But he does look good in shorts.   Has he ever tried to pass against DB who have the closing speed of the NFL guys?  Nope,  he played 3 or 4 levels below that.

8 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Thats not Wyomings schedule

It is the schedule of the junior college where he played two years.

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Allen played his first two years of college at Reedly Community College  and this was his record one of those years.  Then he sent letters to 350 NCAA division I teams and got two replies. He then played two years at Wyoming, which was the 7th ranked conference in the NCAA. They played teams mainly in the 100's to 200's and did so-so.  His senior year they beat Gardner-Webb 27-0.  They did play two top 50 teams that year Oregon and Iowa- his QB rating in those games was 6 and 30. ......   Sorry, one of the criteria of most people is that a high candidate should have 3-4 years of success against top notch competition to show they can do it year after year.   Trying to extrapolate from such a low level to the pros is risky and IMO, foolish.  But he does look good in shorts.   Has he ever tried to pass against DB who have the closing speed of the NFL guys?  Nope,  he played 3 or 4 levels below that.

I was confusec with the 2016-2017 aspect.  I see why he is risky.  I understand why some people would risk picking him.  He is a late bloomer without alot of refinement.  My prefrence for Buffalo is Rosen.  Outside of Rosen I would go Allen.  His upside is too great.  You have professional coaches, coach him to reach his potential.  

3 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

The Josh Allen projection is similar to when players used to come into the NBA straight out of high school. 

Didn't matter if the guy wouldn't hit a free throw, if he was 6'10 or taller, with decent athleticism and some eye hand coordination, someone would pick those guys in the Lottery at the top of the 1st round under the hope that they'll learn how to shoot and defend, and fill out their lanky frame. 

Allen is the same thing. Scouts see a 6'5, 235 "specimen" of a QB and they put all his major flaws aside under the premise they can fix him and 3-4 years down the road he'll be a decent player.

The problem is in the NBA, teams can afford to stash guys on the bench for 2-3 years before giving them minutes. In the NFL, as a top 10 pick, recent history says he'll get no more than 1 year to sit and learn on the bench, meaning he won't have adequate time to actually correct all his fatal flaws and the end result will likely be a disaster (as it has been for every prospect like Allen picked over the past 15 years; Akili Smith, Kyle Boller, Josh Freeman, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, EJ Manuel, etc). 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m going straight to the message board to whatever team drafts Allen to watch the melt. Except this one, I may leave for 6 months to avoid the melt.

Is there a fan base out there this morning saying “Man, I hope we get Josh Allen”. It seems everyone has been “anyone but Josh Allen” since January.  

Ugh, just.. ugh. 

For the love of God, can we please get a QB that doesn't stand in the pocket for what feels like 5 minutes, only to get sacked or forced into a bad throw, only to have them show a replay of a guy running open?

17 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Ugh, just.. ugh. 

For the love of God, can we please get a QB that doesn't stand in the pocket for what feels like 5 minutes, only to get sacked or forced into a bad throw, only to have them show a replay of a guy running open?

Rodgers leads the league almost every year same with Russell Wilson neither is from the fantastic lines they play behind.  Allen was also pressured the most and Mayfiled was pressured the least this is a tad bit misleading.  

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Rodgers leads the league almost every year same with Russell Wilson neither is from the fantastic lines they play behind.  Allen was also pressured the most and Mayfiled was pressured the least this is a tad bit misleading.  

If Allen was pressured the most, shouldn't his time to throw be on the lower end? 

4 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

If Allen was pressured the most, shouldn't his time to throw be on the lower end? 

His mobility and ability to shed would be sacks inflated his numbers.  Jackson is on the high side to.  Difference when Jackson broke contain he would get up field with no throw.  The spread qbs are always the quickest to get the ball out.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:46 PM, Lfod said:

Why does this QB not have a funny nickname. I mean some one came up with Lolmar for Lamar yet thus guy hasn't gotten one yet. I'm not convinced you guys don't like Allen..

Josh Faillen? I dunno you can do better.

Josh Alien.

Do we really know if that arm in from here?

What on Earth do these numbers mean. How is Lamar Jackson possibly that low. It could literally be higher numbers are better or lower numbers.. it's just a list of stud NFL QBs and college QBs with Allen smack dab in the middle

Wait a second.. WHO BUMPED THIS AND WHY..  WHY??

7 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

What on Earth do these numbers mean. How is Lamar Jackson possibly that low. It could literally be higher numbers are better or lower numbers.. it's just a list of stud NFL QBs and college QBs with Allen smack dab in the middle

Wait a second.. WHO BUMPED THIS AND WHY..  WHY??

On 4/26/2018 at 9:27 AM, elroy16 said:

Ugh, just.. ugh. 

PFT can't even get their own story straight.  Prior to the draft, they had Mayfield ranked last among draft-eligible QBs in "average time to throw" with over 3.1 seconds.

This is why I hate PFF sometimes.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Wasn't me Augie. You can't call an hour long bump when the thread was resurrected yesterday after 2 months. That's a bump.

No, it wasn’t.  I just loved your question! And of course the bump came from the OP.