Of the Top 6 QBs, Who Have the Bills Been Linked to Most?

sven233

Thank God the draft is just a couple days away at this point.  We have all analyzed this to death and this thread will be no different in that way.  It's probably going to be a little bit lengthy as I want to summarize some thoughts and feelings that are out there, but I want to end this with a question that is THE question going into Thursday.  What I am hoping to figure out, though, is who of the "Top 6" QBs we have been linked to the most, those that we really haven't been tied to as much, and what this all may mean.

Looking back through all of the information we have been combing through over the last several months, I think there is 1 name that we have been tied to the most - Josh Allen. 

From the very beginning, it seems like media member after media member, analyst after analyst, have made it clear that they know for a fact that the Bills LOVE Josh Allen.  He was the first name I heard the Bills tied to and he is still the overwhelming popular pick that is tied to the Bills today.  What does this mean?  Well.....they could all be right and the Bills really do love him.  However, in the last 20 years or so, I have never seen a prospect that we have been tied to as much as Allen.  So many people out there are virtually guaranteeing that he is our guy and I just can't believe that the Bills would be that transparent as to who they are targeting.  On a side note, I can't believe after watching his tape and his career that they would be that much in love with him.....even if they did like him.  I can't believe that this regime, who has seemed to have closed all of the leaks that were getting out over the past several years, has made it this obvious who they are targeting.  Is it possible?  I guess, but that would be a poor job by the front office if Allen has been their guy for months now and everyone has known it all along.

Now, after Allen is where it gets a little more interesting.  It seems like there have been several guys that have taken turns over the last several weeks as "the guy" the Bills really want.  Rudolph had his turn early on in the process, although that has died down quite a bit.  But, over the last few weeks, both Mayfield and Darnold have taken turns being the target of the Bills.  They were not just the topic of conversation for a day or 2, but they have really, along with Allen, been the talk among many for the last 2-3 weeks or so.  Do the Bills really like these guys or is it just a bunch of misinformation out there?  If I had to guess, I would bet a lot on Darnold being QB1 on the Bills board.  Even since last year, I honestly believe that if it were even a remote possibility, the Bills would try anything and everything to land Darnold.  He is a "process" guy through and through and I guarantee the Bills love this guy.  As for Mayfield, while  I personally like him a lot and have him firmly in my top 3 guys, I am a little skeptical that the Bills like him as much as I do.

So, this leaves 2 guys.......  Jackson and Rosen.  Now, to be honest, I don't remember Jackson's name being tied with the Bills hardly at all.  There might have been a note here and there about it, but I think out of all the QBs, Jackson has been mentioned the least, by far.  Now, this either means that the Bills don't have much, if any,  interest at all in him.  It's either that, or it's the quietest pursuit of a QB in history. 

So, last but not least, that brings me to Josh Rosen.  Sure, he has been mocked to the Bills a few times, but has he really been tied to the Bills in an overwhelming way?  There has been 1 guy, Optimum Scouting's Eric Galko, who has said from the beginning that he believes that Bills LOVE Rosen.  He has been saying it since January/February and seems convinced the Bills want him.  However, outside of Eric, I haven't really heard anyone coo berate that report.  There are times people have mocked Rosen to the Bills, but it is usually because the other guys are gone, not because they really have any specific reason to tie Rosen to the Bills.  Now, I like Rosen a lot.  He is definitely in my top 3 and I can definitely see him becoming the best QB in this class.  I love the way he throws the ball.  I like the quick decisions he makes and how fast he reads the field.  And, I love how aggressive he is throwing the ball into tight windows with accuracy all while pushing the ball down the field.  Great vertical game.  But, I do wonder if he is the Bills kind of "guy."  We are all familiar with the knocks on him and the prevailing thought that he could slip down the board because of his attitude and proclivity to speak his mind when he wants to question something.  Personally, I love this.  I want my QB to want to know why a play is being run.  I want my QB to want to understand why a play is designed a certain way.  Because once you satisfy that and you have everyone understanding why you are doing something, it makes things that much easier to execute and I believe it leads to more success.  Will he be a challenge at times, sure, but I don't see that is a bad thing.  Will the Bills, though?

All this said, I will end this long post with a question.......  Based on the levels of who the Bills have been tied to, WHO DO YOU THINK THE BILLS WANT?  I am not asking who you want.....we all have different opinions on that and we have been re-hashing that over and over again.  So, I want to know if you think the Bills want a guy that they have been tied to all along, a guy that has been tied to them for a few weeks or so, or a guy that they really haven't been tied to at all.

Again....who do the Bills want?  Not what you want. 

Everywhere I look, its jim kelly and the buffalo Bills this... jim kelly and the buffalo Bills that.

Whoever this kelly guy is, I hope he works out bc man oh man, if ever there was a match made in heaven- this is it!

They seem joined at the hip!

20 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Everywhere I look, its jim kelly and the buffalo Bills this... jim kelly and the buffalo Bills that.

Whoever this kelly guy is, I hope he works out bc man oh man, if ever there was a match made in heaven- this is it!

They seem joined at the hip!

What

I think the Bills want Sam Darnold as their QB.

I think they are prepared to try like hell to get to #2 to get him, if they can.

I am hoping Cleveland takes Allen #1 overall as some have suggested; I fear they will lake Darnold however.

I'll be holding my breath when whoever goes to the podium to announce the Browns' pick, assuming we don't know what it is already before the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I think the Bills want Sam Darnold as their QB.

I think they are prepared to try like hell to get to #2 to get him, if they can.

I am hoping Cleveland takes Allen #1 overall as some have suggested; I fear they will lake Darnold however.

I'll be holding my breath when whoever goes to the podium to announce the Browns' pick, assuming we don't know what it is already before the draft.

I imagine the Bills would like Darnold too - but they have to think that's unlikely. 

Here's the flip side.  If the Browns do take Allen - I'd think the Giants would have to consider Darnold at that point.  I know a lot of posters won't like this but -  I think I'd rather the Browns take Darnold, then we may at least have a shot at Allen if we can't get to Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.   He'd be my choice over Jackson and Randolph.

Edited by White Linen
  • Like (+1) 1

Coming to grips that it will be Jackson at 12.

I'll be good with it for 2 reasons.  

Number 1 he's a potential stud.  Yes risk ...but...they all are.  He might actually be a good fit for us and the way Beane talked today about coaches that adjust to the talent.  Maybe he was talking about Jackson.  Idk.

Number 2 we had zero shot at any of the top 4 because they're all going in the top 5.  No one is trading out.  We really didn't have a shot at any of them.  

Jackson at 12.  An LB or the Center from Iowa at 22 and I'd call that more than acceptable.  

Look at the two QBs this regime has added. Classic drop back passers. I think Rosen, Darnold and Rudolph fit thisold. Yet think Beane moved up to 12 and stopped as wants to see how the draft shakes up before making his next move. If Rosen or Darnold get past five we move up otherwise we settle on Rudolph.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Coming to grips that it will be Jackson at 12.

I'll be good with it for 2 reasons.  

Number 1 he's a potential stud.  Yes risk ...but...they all are.  He might actually be a good fit for us and the way Beane talked today about coaches that adjust to the talent.  Maybe he was talking about Jackson.  Idk.

Number 2 we had zero shot at any of the top 4 because they're all going in the top 5.  No one is trading out.  We really didn't have a shot at any of them.  

Jackson at 12.  An LB or the Center from Iowa at 22 and I'd call that more than acceptable.  

We have no idea if all for are going top 5.  So the browns...giants...jets...and Broncos are all guaranteed to take a QB?

Allen had two good years at Reedly College before going to a school in the 7th best conference in the country.   Last year his QB rating against Iowa was 30 and against Colorado was 6.  (as in six).  He did smoke Garner-Webb 27-0.    ...... Why is there such blind faith that he will do great against NFL teams??

The Bills have been very good about not leaking their QB board.  "The Bills are after XXX" rumors begin, continue and stop with sportswriters running out click-bait on the basis of pure BS. 

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

They want Darnold.

I belive he is 1 on their board as well. I think if Browns go Allen, they try to move up to 2 for Darnold except giants may just take him themselves. If they can’t, they stay put or drop back for Rudolf.

My opinion of what they will do based on who I think the coach and GM are.  

I belive they are passing on mayfield, Rosen and Lamar. 

Allen, I’m curious if they have rationalized the accuracy stuff away. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

40 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Like the rest of us..you have no idea

You are any one of those top 5 teams. 

Pretend you are a fan of each.

Who would you want them to pick?  

For me:

Cle:  Darnold 

Giants: Mayfield 

Jets:  Rosen 

Browns:  Barkley or Chubb 

Broncos:  Allen 

Now if I'm a fan of those teams, that's what I'd want them to do based on the picks prior and what's left.  We know Cleveland and the Jets are going QB.  And I don't think Shurmer took that job to coach a declining Eli and hope OBJ would be good with that long term.  

Our best hope at one of those top 3---The Giants really really like Davis Webb