Report: Bills Unlikely to Trade Up to No. 2 - Rapoport

sven233

13 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Or could be 4 Christian Ponders. Watson - was a major surprise, not a miss and Mahomes is an unknown.

Unlikely they are four failed qbs.  If you are waiting for a can't miss, perfect qb, you are going to wait a long, long time.  And even then, unless you are picking 1 overall, you will wait forever.  Historically, top of the draft has a 50% hit rate for qb.  It's considerably lower later on.  This is potentially a very strong qb draft.  Bills set themselves up to take a shot and it's time to do so.  Radical pessimism about the position is a prescription for continual irrelevancy.

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I really hope the Browns take Allen because then it prevents the Bills from making that blunder.

Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield are all interesting to me for different reasons. Allen I have 0 interest in and would have to work to get excited.

I'm on the other side. I would take Allen before Rosen. Rosen character and durability worry me. If we keep our picks I would take him but giving up picks to move up for him I think is risky.

9 minutes ago, fridge said:

This is my ideal draft scenario. Oh the years of intercepting Josh Allen will be so much fun.

they can open a roster spot by getting rid of their punter. Allen and that freakishly strong arm will be able to throw 70 yd INTs

I think we are targeting 1.  If Denver is willing to sell #5, there's no reason we can't package 5 and other picks to go to 1, allow Cleveland Mayfield or Allen (or Rosen as a worst case) and Chubb or Barkley.  Heck, if they don't like the 4th QB if the Giants go QB or trade, they can just take Chubb and Barkley, then draft one of the later QBs.

I think we've decided #1 (Darnold) is #1 by a margin and are willing to give it up to make it happen.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think we are targeting 1.  If Denver is willing to sell #5, there's no reason we can't package 5 and other picks to go to 1, allow Cleveland Mayfield or Allen (or Rosen as a worst case) and Chubb or Barkley.  Heck, if they don't like the 4th QB if the Giants go QB or trade, they can just take Chubb and Barkley, then draft one of the later QBs.

I think we've decided #1 (Darnold) is #1 by a margin and are willing to give it up to make it happen.

I think so too actually. There was a reason we made that late visit to Darnold...

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Please stop.  I'm trying to resign myself to disappointment.  OTOH, please be true:rolleyes:

I also have a hunch there might be a trade like the Chargers & Giants....CLE takes Darnold & we take Allen and swap 'em

18 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I think so too actually. There was a reason we made that late visit to Darnold...

I believe Cleveland is legit split on who to take, is prepping the fanbase on a potentially controversial deal by floating each name.  They've floated Darnold / Allen / Baker, now have set it up that even if it's Rosen you spin it as "he was the one we wanted to keep quiet".  If the Bills can get 5, they can sell the Browns on getting two of the guys they are getting at 1 and 4 anyway, along with whatever extra picks they toss in.  If you are fine with several QBs, it's something to consider.

I think the Giants are just taking Darnold if he's there, and Darnold is the only guy we'll give up a bunch to get, which requires jumping the Giants.  Otherwise I think Beane is content letting things play out potentially with the other 4 (Jackson included) and seeing when the price is right on each guy.

14 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I also have a hunch there might be a trade like the Chargers & Giants....CLE takes Darnold & we take Allen and swap 'em

Right.  Cleveland takes Darnold at 1, then if a QB they are fine with falls to 4, they auction Darnold off to the highest bidder.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Giants are trying the shake the Broncos and Browns down the way the Colts shook down the Jets.  Move back a couple of spots and still get a boatload of picks.  Once that is exhausted, then they’ll entertain Beane’s offer.  

Bingo!  

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I believe Cleveland is legit split on who to take, is prepping the fanbase on a potentially controversial deal by floating each name.  They've floated Darnold / Allen / Baker, now have set it up that even if it's Rosen you spin it as "he was the one we wanted to keep quiet".  If the Bills can get 5, they can sell the Browns on getting two of the guys they are getting at 1 and 4 anyway, along with whatever extra picks they toss in.  If you are fine with several QBs, it's something to consider.

I think the Giants are just taking Darnold if he's there, and Darnold is the only guy we'll give up a bunch to get, which requires jumping the Giants.  Otherwise I think Beane is content letting things play out potentially with the other 4 (Jackson included) and seeing when the price is right on each guy.

Right.  Cleveland takes Darnold at 1, then if a QB they are fine with falls to 4, they auction Darnold off to the highest bidder.

It's strange this year, since there is a lot of chatter about moving around & you always know who is going #1 by now. The only thing I wouldn't expect is staying at 12 and I can see multiple viable paths for us to move up.

I think Darnold is our #1 and I also see a long jam with the QBs ranked #2, #3 & #4  which is precisely is why we didn't make a move up to #3 and let the Jets have it. I think once we know what CLE will do at 1 McBeane will leap into action. Much like Dorsey said a few weeks back they had a trade worked out with us last year at 10 for Mahomes. It would not surprise me at all if we had something up our sleeve as well.

I could conceivably see this:  

CLE will take Darnold @1

NYG will take Barkley @2

JETS will take Mayfield @3

CLE will take Chubb @4

DEN trades with BUF & we take Allen @5

Buf & CLE swap QBs and CLE picks up #22, #53 & 2019 #2  

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

As the clock ticks on Thursday night, the Giants pick gets less and less valuable.

5 premium draft picks for Barkley.

3 1st round picks, and probably a 2nd and 3rd as well, or a great RB prospect. That's the question.

It's stupid of them to hold on at 2 for Barkley with the amount of holes they have and with a deep draft class that is rich in RBs - they are stupid to take him there. The 5th year option will be $20 million - no way I pay that to a RB.

Dave G may want to move, but Mara may meddle and make them stay there, especially with the Jets picking right behind them. Would it be bad publicity for them to move back for more picks? Dumb choice to take Barkley that high IMO...

12 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

As the clock ticks on Thursday night, the Giants pick gets less and less valuable.

5 premium draft picks for Barkley.

3 1st round picks, and probably a 2nd and 3rd as well, or a great RB prospect. That's the question.

The Giants could walk out of the draft with Chubb or Barkley.

Or they could take 12 / 22 / 2 picks between 53-65 / 2019 Bills 1st.

They could offer 22 along with some of the  4 picks between 53-69 (already own 66 & 69) to move up and get 2 out of the Ward / James / Smith / Edmonds / Vea / Fitzpatrick / Davenport / McGlinchy / (maybe even Nelson) group. Then take Michel or Guice at 34 AND have the Bills 2019 1st.

You only turn that down if you are taking QB too.

• Thank you (+1) 1