Why the Bills Won't Trade Up to #2 (or 3 or 4)

Shaw66

Like lots of people here, I've been thinking about what might happen between now and Thursday night.  

We've seen some rumors about the Bills talking to the Giants and some rumors about there being no deal with the Giants.  

Well, as I think about, it seems clear that there'll be no deal with Giants because the Bills can't offer the Giants anything that works for the Giants.  

Either the Giants want one of the good QBs or they don't.   If they want one of the good QBs, then the only trade they'll do is to move to 1, 3 or possibly 4.   If they trade down below 4, the QB they want could be gone.   If they want one of the stud non-QBs, they can't move to 5 because the Browns may take the best stud non-QB at 4.   

So it seems likely the only way the Bills could get to #2 would be if the Bills first traded to 4 and then traded up again.   But getting to 4 will be expensive - probably at least the 12 and 22, and that would be only if the Browns didn't like any of the studs at the top of the draft.   Then from 4 to 2 probably would cost next year's first.   

There's a rumor that the Bills actually offered those three firsts to the Giants and the Giants said no.   The Giants said no, probably, because they know they don't want to pick below 3 or 4 at the worst, and getting those three firsts doesn't help them UNLESS THEY have a deal with the Browns for 4.   

So that means to me the only route there is for the Bills to get to #2 is essentially a three-team trade, where the Bills go to #2, the Giants go to #4 and get the Bills' first round pick next year, and the Browns get the Bills' #12 and #22.   (Maybe a few late-round picks thrown in here and there to grease the skids.)   That seems to me to be a very, very hard deal to make.   Giants more or less won't do it if they want a QB, because it lets Buffalo and the Jets get in the QB line ahead of the Giants.   Only can work if the Giants want one of the top-of-the-draft non-QB studs AND the Browns don't want any of them.   

And it's much easier for the Giants to tell the Jets they're looking to trade out of #2, and to protect themselves the Jets would need to trade up.   So the Giants can easily pick up another nice pick by moving back to #3, at no cost to them so long as they don't want a QB.   

So the Bills are picking, at the very best, 4th.   Even that seems like a stretch.   The QB they want would have to be there (after the Browns, Giants and Jets have taken two or three of the QBs), and the Bills would have to be willing to give 12 and 22 to get there.   Possible, not likely.  

Can the Bills get to 5?   Only if the Broncos don't want the QB the Bills want. 

So it looks to me like Bills will be picking after at least 3 QBs have come off the board.  

If the Bills actually did offer the Giants three first round picks (12, 22 and 2019) for #2, I wonder this:   Two months ago, that was  21, 22 and Cordy Glenn.   Did the Bills offer THAT to the Colts for #3?   THAT's the deal the Bills should have made, if it was possible.   The problem always was that the Jets had a much more attractive first-round pick to offer.  

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

If the Bills actually did offer the Giants three first round picks (12, 22 and 2019) for #2, I wonder this:   Two months ago, that was  21, 22 and Cordy Glenn.   Did the Bills offer THAT to the Colts for #3?   THAT's the deal the Bills should have made, if it was possible.   The problem always was that the Jets had a much more attractive first-round pick to offer.  

While I can't say definitively whether the Bills made the offer to the Colts or not, I CAN say this...Colts GM Chris Ballard is on the record as saying that, while he's willing to move back, he doesn't want to move back so far that he's out of "premiere player" range. He has stated that he believes there are only 8 "premiere level" non-QB players in this draft. As such, I doubt the Colts would've agreed to move down that far. I even doubt that they'd be willing to move back to 12, since that's right on the edge of being out of "premiere player" range, according to Ballard.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

People need to be prepared that staying at 12 and picking could actually happen......

Dont set yourselves up for heartbreak

It could happen for sure. Make no mistake though, short of a miracle happening this scenario would be the depths of suckitude for Bills fans. Just can't call it anything else, given all the moves made beginning with the pass on QBs at 10 last year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

People need to be prepared that staying at 12 and picking could actually happen......

This just isn't going to happen.  Buffalo seems far more likely to move up to 6 thu 9! They are not staying at 12.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

It could happen for sure. Make no mistake though, short of a miracle happening this scenario would be the depths of suckitude for Bills fans. Just can't call it anything else, given all the moves made beginning with the pass on QBs at 10 last year. 

I was very dissapointed when I saw that the Giants turned down 3 first round picks......

If the trade partner wont play....they cant just curl up in a fetal position and call it a day.

1 minute ago, KRT88 said:

This just isn't going to happen.  Buffalo seems far more likely to move up to 6 thu 9! They are not staying at 12.

It absolutely could happen

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Are you kidding me? I think it's pretty clear that a huge portion of us are fully committed to the trade up option. Make no mistake, staying at 12 and missing on the big 3 will break hearts left and right. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

Are you kidding me? I think it's pretty clear that a huge portion of us are fully committed to the trade up option. Make no mistake, staying at 12 and missing on the big 3 will break hearts left and right. 

It doesn't matter - it's all about a trade partner.  

Just now, NickelCity said:

Undoubtedly. I'm aware that we might not be able to trade up. I'm just saying it will break my heart. I am fully set up for heartbreak, in other words. Heh. 

Something that may help you is the QB's in this years draft from best to worst will not be in the same order they were drafted.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, NickelCity said:

Undoubtedly. I'm aware that we might not be able to trade up. I'm just saying it will break my heart. I am fully set up for heartbreak, in other words. Heh. 

Im sorry man....:(

I dont think that way.....when I see plan A might not happen I am already on to plan B.....then if plan A happens I am pleasantly suprised

I agree with most that you said, Shaw.  It is a given that Cleveland and the Jets are picking a QB.  The Giants may or may not.  The Broncos may or may not.   I would be surprised if Buffalo traded up to #2.  I'm not ruling out moving up to #4, however.  Obviously, the higher they want to go, the higher the price.  The heights to which they are willing to move in a trade will depend in part on how much they like the QB or QBs who remain, and possibly on whether there is one or two.

Stay at 12 and draft Edmunds then Rudolph at 22.

OR

Jackson at 12 and Vander Esch at 22.

We aren’t moving to 2 because the Giants are taking a QB. The media is fake news. They know about as much as Dunkirk Dufus and just throw crap at the wall hoping some of it sticks.

Let me ask you this, how many media members mocked Trubisky to Chicago last year? ZERO!

I’ll tell you another thing as well. Not only are the Giants taking a QB, but the Broncos will as well. That’s my bold prediction. 4 QB’s go inside the top 5.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If I'm Beane, I'm talking to John Elway about #5 before I talk to anybody else.  If Elway is adamant about not trading, that makes me suspicious that he's after a QB.  If I coveted a QB that much, I might then talk with Cleveland about #4.  If Elway is TOO eager to trade, I might suspect he's not interested in a QB.  At that point I might start talking with Indy or even Tampa about the terms of a trade.  The only sticking point about going too low is that in raises the odds of Miami or Arizona jumping ahead of the Bills to snatch  the last of the big 4.  If there are 2 QBs left that I like, after the Jets get theirs, I might be more inclined to take that chance.

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Im sorry man....:(

I dont think that way.....when I see plan A might not happen I am already on to plan B.....then if plan A happens I am pleasantly suprised

I'll put it this way: if we draft Darnold or Rosen, I'm thrilled. If we draft Mayfield, I'm excited (close to thrilled tbh).  If we draft Allen or Jackson, I will be disappointed but as a coping mechanism will talk myself into liking it. If draft anyone else, I think that disappointment will be enduring. Whoever we draft, I will root for of course.