The Bills will definitely take QB in the 1st because of the 5th year option

It wouldn’t make sense not to. This in my opinion helps Rudolph, regardless of what team selects him, simply because of the extra year as an option. If there is not a willing and/or reasonable trade partner early in the 1st rd, does this make Rudolph more of an option for the Bills late in the 1st rd? The Eagles are willing to trade out of the #32nd pick and it wouldn’t surprise me if the Bills traded up into the 1st rd so they could exercise that option. 

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Its a good point to bring up.....as if trading away your starter for another teams not hardly used backup was not enough......

If they can get the QB right....they have the most important (and the most expensive) position on the field covered......and now can move focus to the positions AROUND him.

Good Post and I agree. However, I think this draft will be telling on how long beane and Bald Ginger are with the organization. If they screw up the qb position, 2019 will be their final year.  The typical 3 and out. 

They MUST get the QB position right, their jobs literally depends on it. 

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

in all honesty, i don't think the 5th year option is why guys get taken in the first round. their projected talent at the next level is the sole reason.

I think it's a genuine consideration, but less so for other positions than QB.

If you have faith in the guy, but you know he's going to take a year to be ready, then you want that year at the end of his deal, when you think he's going to be good.

As regards trading down, well, I think you have to be especially careful about that, when it comes to QBs, as it only takes 1 team to mess things up.

In the NFL these days, when picking QBs, I think a good observation is 'wait and be damned', as it's happened to the Bills a few times over the last 10 years.

21 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I think it's a genuine consideration, but less so for other positions than QB.

If you have faith in the guy, but you know he's going to take a year to be ready, then you want that year at the end of his deal, when you think he's going to be good.

As regards trading down, well, I think you have to be especially careful about that, when it comes to QBs, as it only takes 1 team to mess things up.

In the NFL these days, when picking QBs, I think a good observation is 'wait and be damned', as it's happened to the Bills a few times over the last 10 years.

i don't dispute that it a consideration. i just think that on the list of factors to consider, it is not really anywhere near the top.

you have your board and depending upon your draft strategy you are either drafting by positional need or BPA.  i really don't think you say well, we better draft this guy over that guy in the first because we get a fifth year option on him. sure it is nice to have, it is just not the factor that would potentially make or break the pick.

Edited by Foxx

5 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

It wouldn’t make sense not to. This in my opinion helps Rudolph, regardless of what team selects him, simply because of the extra year as an option. If there is not a willing and/or reasonable trade partner early in the 1st rd, does this make Rudolph more of an option for the Bills late in the 1st rd? The Eagles are willing to trade out of the #32nd pick and it wouldn’t surprise me if the Bills traded up into the 1st rd so they could exercise that option. 

That's not the reason we will take a QB in the first, assuming we do, as is very likely.

That only comes into play in roughly picks 28 - 40. Yeah, there's some reason for teams to trade up there if they're really confident he's their guy. But if the Bils trade up for Rudolph, it won't be because they're worried about the 5th year, IMO, it'll be because they're worried about him being gone later in the draft.

6 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

If he’s the real deal he won’t see that 5th year option.  I’d imagine they’d renegotiate before that 

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

If he’s the real deal he won’t see that 5th year option.  I’d imagine they’d renegotiate before that 

The only thing I can think of is if he takes 2-3 seasons to develop into the real deal then having that 5th year helps.  Extend him on the cheap and work on the contract through his 4th and 5th if necessary.