Rob Johnson is still bitter after 20 years

Does RJ even know he's the all time NFL leader in sack per drop back percentage - an astonishing 14.8% rate - and that it's not even close for second place.  They had to invent a whole new QBR after he single handedly exposed the sack flaw in the standard rating system. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I was a huge RH fan, but he brought it on himself.  He had all the tools, but rarely but a complete game together. The sacks were atrocious.  He had the season finale against the Colts which won him the Titans game and he left that field a winner. 

Other than that, he never did anything to shut up the Flutie supporters. And when Flutie was out there, he was electric.  But a Flutie equally lost us the Dolphins playoff game. 

They were polar opposite players. So when one didn’t do well, you automatically wanted the other 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Rob Johnson is the personification of how difficult it is to evaluate qbs. From a tools standpoint he has it all. But that isn't the essence of the position. It's how you see things and react. His inability to not take sacks and instead just throw it away or take the outlet play would drive you crazy. 

At the time I advocated for RJ over Flutie. I still believe that he was a better qb. The more public and personable Flute was a better self-promoter and had a more compelling story than the bland and inscrutable RJ. Much of the public support for Flutie had to do with the fact that the Buffalo audience related better to Flute than Johnson. 

• Like (+1) 3

RJ was a 4th rd pick. The Bills liked him because of one good career start and because he could spin the ball. The Jags fleeced us.

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Rob Johnson is the personification of how difficult it is to evaluate qbs. From a tools standpoint he has it all. But that isn't the essence of the position. It's how you see things and react. His inability to not take sacks and instead just throw it away or take the outlet play would drive you crazy. 

At the time I advocated for RJ over Flutie. I still believe that he was a better qb. The more public and personable Flute was a better self-promoter and had a more compelling story than the bland and inscrutable RJ. Much of the public support for Flutie had to do with the fact that the Buffalo audience related better to Flute than Johnson. 

I liked him because he was exciting to watch and he found ways to win games. He had a 70% winning percentage with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Doesn't RJ have a ring?  Would he have got it in B-Lo?

He needs to keep a "gratitude journal."  His memory is slipping.

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

RJ was a 4th rd pick. The Bills liked him because of one good career start and because he could spin the ball. The Jags fleeced us.

I liked him because he was exciting to watch and he found ways to win games. He had a 70% winning percentage with the Bills.

Except for the one game we needed him most... 

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Well said.  I usually just point out that Flutie was a selfish prick and a crappy QB.  But you did it with much nicer words!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I was a huge RH fan, but he brought it on himself.  He had all the tools, but rarely but a complete game together. The sacks were atrocious.  He had the season finale against the Colts which won him the Titans game and he left that field a winner. 

I remember leaving that game thinking finally, this guy is gonna be the franchise QB the Bills had been looking for.  He was impressive as hell that day.  Then...  well you know the rest.

Just now, Epstein's Mother said:

I remember leaving that game thinking finally, this guy is gonna be the franchise QB the Bills had been looking for.  He was impressive as hell that day.  Then...  well you know the rest.

You mean, he left the field with a win in hand, only to have it blown by the ST?

Yeah, bummer.

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Other than that, he never did anything to shut up the Flutie supporters. And when Flutie was out there, he was electric.  But a Flutie equally lost us the Dolphins playoff game. 

They were polar opposite players. So when one didn’t do well, you automatically wanted the other 

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

1) i agree with both these statements.

2) but RJ should get over it..." be better , not bitter"

3) why is this article brought up again--  wasnt this mentioned when the article first came out?

19 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Doesn't RJ have a ring?  Would he have got it in B-Lo?

He needs to keep a "gratitude journal."  His memory is slipping.

Except for the one game we needed him most... 

You appear to be forgetting a couple of critical elements of the Miami game.

1. Mounds fumbled away a near certain TD on the Miami 12 yrd line after a 65 yrd pass play.

2. Andre Reed bumped the referee after he was called down on Miami’s 1 yrd line and earned an ejection and a 15 yrd penalty. The Bills had to settle for a FG.

3. The Bills committed 9 penalties and had 4 fumbles.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Well said.  I usually just point out that Flutie was a selfish prick and a crappy QB.  But you did it with much nicer words!

The local press covering the Bills despised (probably too strong a word) Flutie. He wouldn't give them the time of day because he could get greater exposure dealing with the national press covering the sport. RJ was more team oriented and supportive of Flutie when he played and it wasn't reciprocated by Flutie when RJ played. These two qbs ended up despising one another. Most people sided with Flute while I don't and didnt. Many people were drawn into the compelling Flutie and family story of his autistic son. There was the other side of Flutie who was a self-promoting back stabber and two-faced manipulator. 

• Like (+1) 4