Rob Johnson is still bitter after 20 years

Just now, Sky Diver said:

A 70% winning percentage is hardly mediocre.

A meaningless stat by itself.

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Not for nothing, but that Miami defense was far better than the 1999 Titans' defense in pretty much every category. Flutie had turnovers, yes, but he basically lit the best defense in the league (1st in points allowed; 3rd in yards allowed; 1st i INTs; 3rd in passing TDs allowed; 3rd in net yards per passing attempt allowed) up like a Christmas tree.

But that was typical Flutie. For all the "good" things he did, he would do enough stupid s**t to negate it.

He would scamper 15 yards on a 3rd down to keep a drive alive, but 3 plays later throw a pick into double coverage while there was wide open WR on the other side of the field.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Cynical said:

A meaningless stat by itself.

But that was typical Flutie. For all the "good" things he did, he would do enough stupid s**t to negate it.

He would scamper 15 yards on a 3rd down to keep a drive alive, but 3 plays later throw a pick into double coverage while there was wide open WR on the other side of the field.

He was hardly the greatest player ever, but we shouldn't be holding him to that standard here given that the subject of this thread is ultimately Rob Johnson. In no world was Johnson better than Flutie. 

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He was hardly the greatest player ever, but we shouldn't be holding him to that standard here given that the subject of this thread is ultimately Rob Johnson. In no world was Johnson better than Flutie. 

Never said RJ was better, but this concept that Fultie was somehow "good" is laughable.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Never said RJ was better, but this concept that Fultie was somehow "good" is laughable.

I think he was "good" -- but not great. He was quite literally a better than average NFL qb from 1998-2000, the years he played for the Bills. His rating-plus number over the three years was 112, 97, and 112. 100 is average. The thing is, even in his down year - 1999 - he did good things: 476 rushing yards (a lot!). The Bills finished 11th in yards that year, so they were at least decent on offense. The game that I always go back to that season was the Baltimore game: he was terrible throughout most of it but pulled the rabbit out of the hat at the end. But what was most interesting about that relatively early-season game is the fact that no one knew how good that Ravens D actually was. They ended up dominating in 1999 (2nd overall) and had arguably the best defense ever the next season. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

I would take RJ over Flutie every single day of every week ever

I hate that POS midget. Wish he would of stayed in CFL where he beloged

On 4/22/2018 at 7:00 AM, Spiderweb said:

... Rob didnt fare well after his shot in Buffalo so... 'nuff said....

Neither did Flutie before or after

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/22/2018 at 9:24 AM, 4merper4mer said:

Didn't read the link but the legend of Doug Flutie is false.  He sucked.

Ya lol he did was win everywhere he went, even Buffalo. But he just sucked.. I mean I know he wasn’t the greatest QB but since Kelly can you name one QB for Buffalo that was better?  (I’m honestly asking because I as an outsider can’t think of one better. Maybe Bledsoe but he was washed up by the time he got to Buffalo.)

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Rob Johnson sucked monkey balls. And he's still bitter. He had plenty of opportunities to succeed on another team. Even the NFL Network openly dissed this guy. He sucked worse than Flutie.

Exactly. I read his stats that someone had posted from 1998 which were something like a 62% completion rate with 8 TD’s and 3 INT’s. Those stats are in no way indicative of who Johnson was as a player. He could put up soild numbers with a limited sample size, but he lacked the ability to be a successful full time starter. If those numbers really meant anything, Johnson would have had a decent career long after leaving Buffalo. 

He may very well be bitter, but I fail to see it based on the quotes he said, and I was on Team Flutie. 

Why is he bitter? Because the headline says so? He was being honest, and it was fun to see his POV. Flutie WAS considered a bit of a joke, until he started winning. Johnson understood, and dissected, the psychology behind the PR battle/public debate. And of course he thought he was the better QB. Wouldn't you if you were him? 

This is why public figures don't give honest interviews. So many people can't comprehend nuance. It's also a dishonest headline and weak journalism. The "contributing" writer on upstateNY.com didn't even do the interview. Just say what he said already and let readers analyze the internal workings of Johnson's mind themselves. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

There's two types of people in this world.

Pro-Flutie people - and people with good observation skills.

This is a bit hyperbolic. Of course there are some diehard Flutie fans, but the rest of us are far more reasonable. Flutie was a decent QB who helped lead his team during several seasons that were crucial to the future of this franchise. I don’t confuse him with Dan Marino, but I appreciate what he was able to for us. I’m easily “pro-Flutie” when his name is used in relation to Rob Johnson. How could anyone not see Rob Johnson get sacked every other drop back? No one has to like Flutie, but I don’t understand how an arguement could ever be made in Johnson’s favor either. 

13 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

He may very well be bitter, but I fail to see it based on the quotes he said, and I was on Team Flutie. 

Why is he bitter? Because the headline says so? He was being honest, and it was fun to see his POV. Flutie WAS considered a bit of a joke, until he started winning. Johnson understood, and dissected, the psychology behind the PR battle/public debate. And of course he thought he was the better QB. Wouldn't you if you were him? 

This is why public figures don't give honest interviews. So many people can't comprehend nuance. It's also a dishonest headline and weak journalism. The "contributing" writer on upstateNY.com didn't even do the interview. Just say what he said already and let readers analyze the internal workings of Johnson's mind themselves. 

Bitterness is a subjective term, so I understand what you mean. With that said, it’s not cool to mention Flutie’s autistic son as being an element in losing your job. That does come across as a bitter statement. I don’t think it’s much of a stretch or fake news to call Johnson bitter. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

5 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Not only did Johnson have an abysmal 34.5% winning percentage, he had the highest drop back to sack ratio in the NFL.

The article shows that he has no self-awareness of just how bad he was. If he thinks he really though that he lost his starting job because of Flutie’s autistic son, he’s delusional.

Did you read the article that the article you linked from August was about?

Btw writing an article about an article is lazy and a joke.

4 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

This is a bit hyperbolic. Of course there are some diehard Flutie fans, but the rest of us are far more reasonable. Flutie was a decent QB who helped lead his team during several seasons that were crucial to the future of this franchise. I don’t confuse him with Dan Marino, but I appreciate what he was able to for us. I’m easily “pro-Flutie” when his name is used in relation to Rob Johnson. How could anyone not see Rob Johnson get sacked every other drop back? No one has to like Flutie, but I don’t understand how an arguement could ever be made in Johnson’s favor either. 

Bitterness is a subjective term, so I understand what you mean. With that said, it’s not cool

to mention Flutie’s autistic son as being an element in losing your job. That does come across as bitter statement imo. 

I don't see it like that. He was saying that Flutie had PR on his side. Part of that was Flutie's son. He wasn't making fun of the kid or anything. It's just an observation, and it's likely an accurate one. 

4 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Bitterness is a subjective term, so I understand what you mean. With that said, it’s not cool

to mention Flutie’s autistic son as being an element in losing your job. That does come across as bitter statement imo. 

Flutes charity was all over the place then and huge in the community.

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Did you read the article that the article you linked from August was about?

Btw writing an article about an article is lazy and a joke.

That's nothing in today's world of "journalism." If this article generates a lot of interest, there will be articles about the articles and articles about readers' perception of the articles. It is weak. Just provide a link to the damn article already, do your own interviews, come up with your own story ideas, and do the job that journalists used to paid for. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/22/2018 at 10:00 AM, Sky Diver said:

How did he manage to have a 70% winning percentage while destroying the locker room? It sounds nothing short of miraculous if true.

The retro hate some people have for flutie is kind of weird...

I mean as flawed as  tt is, people still campaign for him with heated ferocity...

yet somehow flutie sucked? Personally that was the last time as a bills

fan i was truly pumped for football as a bills fan and no year since has come

close. Is there something going on up there in buffalo where people don't

want an exciting qb or win?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Just in Atlanta said:

I don't see it like that. He was saying that Flutie had PR on his side. Part of that was Flutie's son. He wasn't making fun of the kid or anything. It's just an observation, and it's likely an accurate one. 

Flutie didn’t have PR on his side until Johnson got injuried (taking another sack) allowing Flutie to shine. Diminishing another’s success by pointing to an autistic child is low imo. Johnson had every chance to become the Bills franchise QB in 2000. He blew that opportunity by taking 49 sacks, and throwing for 5 TD’s and 7 INT’s. Don’t blame a guy’s autistic son for being a crap QB. Fans care about winning. Flutie became a fan favorite because the team was winning. Johnson had his chance to do the same. 

On 4/22/2018 at 9:52 AM, JohnC said:

The local press covering the Bills despised (probably too strong a word) Flutie. He wouldn't give them the time of day because he could get greater exposure dealing with the national press covering the sport. RJ was more team oriented and supportive of Flutie when he played and it wasn't reciprocated by Flutie when RJ played. These two qbs ended up despising one another. Most people sided with Flute while I don't and didnt. Many people were drawn into the compelling Flutie and family story of his autistic son. There was the other side of Flutie who was a self-promoting back stabber and two-faced manipulator. 

Yeah but, how do you really feel about Flutie ?

16 minutes ago, Albwan said:

The retro hate some people have for flutie is kind of weird...

I mean as flawed as  tt is, people still campaign for him with heated ferocity...

yet somehow flutie sucked? Personally that was the last time as a bills

fan i was truly pumped for football as a bills fan and no year since has come

close. Is there something going on up there in buffalo where people don't

want an exciting qb or win?

I was teenager at the time, so that is the era which left the greatest impact. I remember the end of the Kelly era, but I didn’t get to see him at his best. Flutie came in at the perfect moment to reignite the passion of this fanbase. We were a nationally relevant franchise who could compete against anyone. It’s the last time this team actually mattered to the casual NFL fan. 20 years later this board is lighting up with posters claiming that Flutie is a jerk. Who cares? Are we naive enough to think that most of our favorite athletes aren’t jerks? I only want to win football

games, and make Sunday in Orchard Park relevant outside of Western NY. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5
  • Like (+1) 1