What was the worst Bills’ trade of all time?

8 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Way back in the 60's, the trade of Dayrll Lamonica to the Raiders for tom Flores

Years later, when the USFL was folding and Kelly was coming to the NFL, there was talk of Oakland being a place he would like to play. Al Davis said it would never happen because "Ralph Wilson still hasn't forgiven me for Daryl Lamonica"

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Trading up for TJ GRAHAM was painful too.  Was convinced we were taking Russell Wilson.  I was tapping my buddy on the shoulder for a minute saying “we traded up for Wilson!!  We traded up for Wilson!!!!” Then did 3-6 Ric Flair “WOOOOOOO’s”......:then screamed TJ FING GRAHAM?!?!?!??!!  WTF!!!!!!!!!

so typical 

Part of a draft special showed the Seattle war room before that the Russell Wilson pick. It showed Buffalo trading up and everyone in the Seattle war room was convinced they had lost out on Wilson because it was common knowledge the Bills liked him. Painful to watch even years after the pick.

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I recall that Lynch was overweight and sluggish and really didn’t want to be here.

He was just as overweight and sluggish went he had that monster playoff run for Seattle.  Even so the bottom like - the Bill got a poor deal and Buddy was a terrible GM

2 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Years later, when the USFL was folding and Kelly was coming to the NFL, there was talk of Oakland being a place he would like to play. Al Davis said it would never happen because "Ralph Wilson still hasn't forgiven me for Daryl Lamonica"

Part of a draft special showed the Seattle war room before that the Russell Wilson pick. It showed Buffalo trading up and everyone in the Seattle war room was convinced they had lost out on Wilson because it was common knowledge the Bills liked him. Painful to watch even years after the pick.

Ironic how the incompetence of Buddy Nix essentially made way for the resurgence of Seattle

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

He was just as overweight and sluggish went he had that monster playoff run for Seattle.  Even so the bottom like - the Bill got a poor deal and Buddy was a terrible GM

Ironic how the incompetence of Buddy Nix essentially made way for the resurgence of Seattle

He really wasn’t playing well here.

11 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

His 70% winning percentage is a gift of the all time best bills defense. But carry on your crusade for the midget.

Not sure what happened to the best Bills defense when RJ played because the Bills winning percentage dropped to 34.5%.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Oh yeah, forgot that.  People love to bash him but I always thought Schaub was a decent QB.  Better than anyone who's played for the Bills in many years.

Certainly better than Losman.  If you're going to end up with a modestly successful QB (Matt Schaub or Tyrod Taylor), better to take him in the third or sixth round than in the first round, especially if you trade up to get him.

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Not sure what happened to the best Bills defense when RJ played because the Bills winning percentage dropped to 34.5%.

After 1999, it was essentially dismantled. But you knew that already.

Just doesn't fit your ridiculous narrative.

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

After 1999, it was essentially dismantled. But you knew that already.

Just doesn't fit your ridiculous narrative.

In 2000, when the D was “dismantled” the Bills were 4 - 1 under Flutie and 4 - 7 under Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

He really wasn’t playing well here.

Wasn’t playing well? He has two full seasons as a Bill, eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark both years (on a very bad offense) and was named to the 2008 Pro Bowl.  Was he as mature or engaged as our coaches wanted him to be?  Probably not.  But facts are facts.  The return the Bills got for Lynch was minimal and that falls on the shoulders of Buddy Nixon. Bad deal 

9 hours ago, cba fan said:

Thank you for remembering.

Using the fallacy of those saying Bills spent 3 first rounders for Sam Watkins as my motivation. People keep wanting to say Bills wasted a first round pick on EJ when in reality he was less than a 1st round pick because they traded back and received more picks for doing that resulting in Eric Wood. :P

And the Pack was mad they did not get wind of this also.

?

9 hours ago, cba fan said:

People keep wanting to say Bills wasted a first round pick on EJ when in reality he was less than a 1st round pick because they traded back and received more picks for doing that resulting in Eric Wood. :P

Actually we got Robert Woods with the pick.

6 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

?

If Bills had just used a first round pick for EJ then Bills would have spent ONE 1st round pick to get EJ and would only have EJ.

Instead they traded back by giving up ONE Bills 1st round pick in exchange for ONE 1st round pick later in round 1, ONE pick in 2nd round, ONE pick in 7th round.

They then picked EJ with the later pick in 1st, center Eric Wood in 2nd, TE Gragg in 7th.

This means EJ did not cost Bills a first round pick because they received a 2nd and a 7th for trading back. Meaning he cost less than a 1st round pick.(as an added bonus his contract was significantly reduced due to being picked later in round)(in fact that savings likely paid for most/all of Eric Woods deal)

If they stayed with original pick they would only have had EJ to show for that pick.

Since they traded back they had EJ, E Wood, and Gragg, to show for that 1st round pick.

I know it is semantics and hard to wrap our head around but in reality by trading back and acquiring more players EJ cost less than a single first round pick. Both on draft capital and player salaries.

Update: my error. Kiko Alonso was the pick not Eric Wood.

Edited by cba fan

40 minutes ago, cba fan said:

If Bills had just used a first round pick for EJ then Bills would have spent ONE 1st round pick to get EJ and would only have EJ.

Instead they traded back by giving up ONE Bills 1st round pick in exchange for ONE 1st round pick later in round 1, ONE pick in 2nd round, ONE pick in 7th round.

They then picked EJ with the later pick in 1st, center Eric Wood in 2nd, TE Gragg in 7th.

This means EJ did not cost Bills a first round pick because they received a 2nd and a 7th for trading back. Meaning he cost less than a 1st round pick.(as an added bonus his contract was significantly reduced due to being picked later in round)(in fact that savings likely paid for most/all of Eric Woods deal)

If they stayed with original pick they would only have had EJ to show for that pick.

Since they traded back they had EJ, E Wood, and Gragg, to show for that 1st round pick.

I know it is semantics and hard to wrap our head around but in reality by trading back and acquiring more players EJ cost less than a single first round pick. Both on draft capital and player salaries.

Eric Wood was drafted in 2009, EJ was drafted in 2013.

EJ did not cost "less than a first."  He cost pick #16, the pick we used to select him.  Pick #8 was traded for pick #16 and a second rounder.  EJ cost less than pick 8.  He cost pick 16.

18 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Eric Wood was drafted in 2009, EJ was drafted in 2013.

Eric Wood was the player picked with the first round pick the Bills got from the Eagles in the Jason Peters trade.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, nucci said:

was going to say Lamonica trade...it has to be the worst one ever

I keep seeing this one come up in the thread. For someone like myself who waas not yet born, what was the story behind this? Insee on his Wikipedia page that he had a great career after the trade and also lit us up for 6 TDs in one half when we played him. What was the reasoning behind it and who made the decision to trade him?