Reggie Ragland "Can Be a Star?"

Big C

37 minutes ago, K-9 said:

When they interviewed Schwartz for the HC job he was asked if he would stay on as DC if he didn't get the job. He flat out told them no. That was more than a week before Rex was interviewed. Hiring Rex probably made it even easier for Schwartz to walk away but he couldn't do that until he was fired because he would have forfeited his $2m salary. Schwartz and Rex just isn't a good match. Rex is too much the blowhard. 

Anyone ever heard of hardball?  Why would Schwartz offer his services at DC when he wanted to be HC?

He would've stayed.

Just now, jmc12290 said:

Anyone ever heard of hardball?  Why would Schwartz offer his services at DC when he wanted to be HC?

He would've stayed.

Other than flat out saying he wouldn't, yeah, he would have stayed. Schwartz simply wasn't interested in staying unless he was promoted to HC. That simple. 

Besides, do you not see the potential toxicity of working for Rex Ryan and retaining a scheme that was foreign to the HC? With the entourage of Rex's sycophants in tow? Schwartz would have been miserable. He did the right thing by taking the time off, collecting his $2m and surveying the landscape before jumping back in. 

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

That was one of the problems with the constant turnover of coaching staffs: We drafted players to fit one scheme, only to get rid of them and draft different players for the next scheme...

Yes.

1 hour ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Does this mean the Bills shoulda kept Rex? 

...and NO! 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Other than flat out saying he wouldn't, yeah, he would have stayed. Schwartz simply wasn't interested in staying unless he was promoted to HC. That simple. 

Besides, do you not see the potential toxicity of working for Rex Ryan and retaining a scheme that was foreign to the HC? With the entourage of Rex's sycophants in tow? Schwartz would have been miserable. He did the right thing by taking the time off, collecting his $2m and surveying the landscape before jumping back in. 

Yeah, that's what he said.

If the Bills hired an offensive HC, and pitched Schwartz "we have the same awesome DL coming back, everyone will know the defense is yours,"  I think there's a really good chance he stays.

The Rex hire effectively killed that possibility and he was definitely gone after Rex showed up.  But before Rex was hired, Schwartz was still in play.

Edited by jmc12290

I liked Ragland, a lot. I thought he was going to be our Bart Scott in Rex's defense. I think he will grade out as a top 15 ILB this year. He's just not the kind of LB to fit our scheme. He would probably just be another Preston Brown type. I think he excels in that KC defense this year. 

3 minutes ago, Carter said:

Typical. This is what happens when your new gm guts his roster just to spite the old gm. 

Beane kinda sucks compared to Whaley.  

He has already made several critical errors. 

Playoff appearances:

Beane - 1

Every other GM the previous 17 years - 0

3 minutes ago, Carter said:

Typical. This is what happens when your new gm guts his roster just to spite the old gm. 

It's a big stretch to think Beane gutted the roster just to spite the old gm

Just as it was a mistake to think we had so few draft picks remaining on our roster because Whaley couldn't draft talent

The truth is, whenever a new coach comes in, he evaluates talent differently; the ideal player for his scheme looks different

Coaching continuity is paramount to success in the NFL

BUT

You have to have a good coach first!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a big stretch to think Beane gutted the roster just to spite the old gm

Just as it was a mistake to think we had so few draft picks remaining on our roster because Whaley couldn't draft talent

The truth is, whenever a new coach comes in, he evaluates talent differently; the ideal player for his scheme looks different

BUT

No it is not a stretch. It was so apparent, everyone thought they were tanking on purpose. 

Beane gutted everything Whaley did well, just to spite him. He is still doing it (see T Rod). 

A selfish GM is never a good GM. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

BUT

This is exactly my point!  When someone posts that players like Ragland are drafted by one staff and then don't fit the scheme of the next of course that's not a good thing.  That's why I posed the question "Does this mean the Bills shoulda kept Rex?".  Of course they did the right thing by firing him!  You have to find the right coach.

The question when read within context is rhetorical.  The answer is understood.